Engine modifiers.....who's out there?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Engine modifiers.....who's out there?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 09:31 AM
Tech Master

Gravedigger to me this is just a discussion - not an argument.

Corse-R your scenario is not analagous to Dennis' except for maybe the guy that stole his motor. If you're familiar with open source then you know why it's so powerful.

this is my point. These designs are modifications to a product that already exists for a toy hobby. Nothing is stopping Dennis from talking about copyrights but I doubt seriously any legal action can be taken against someone who sells an engine similiar to a design dennis copyrighted. I also am interested to know if these type copyrights will even be granted. I also am amazed that no one seems to be looking at the big picture and thought about what happens if everyone takes this approach.

Fantom sues lightspeed because fantom copyrighted a brush cut that lightspeed started using. Serpent sues ofna for making a centax clutch with the same dimensions as their centaxII but they called it syntec. Associated sues schumacher because they copyrighted their component layout. Tamiya takes notice and sues associated claiming they were granted an invalid copyright in the first place.

Now all of that is unlikely I'm sure because the manufacturer's know it's a waste of time and not good for the hobby.

If Dennis' engines run the best people will try to copy. That's part of business all over the world. You can't copyright ideas. Fox news took off and now everyone is copying their swhoosh sounds and lively graphics.

Even if smeltz did copy Dennis so what. Dennis had said he was stopping public engine sales before then anyway. If smeltz' or any other tuners engines ran like crap the word would get out and people wouldn't buy them....just like any other market.

If Dennis doesn't want anybody to emulate his designs, stop selling engines. Just do the R&D, help your team drivers (while making sure they send the engines back to you after use), and take your designs to the grave having sufficiently kept anyone from learning from and extending upon them.
Old 03-08-2003, 12:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Last edited by Motorman; 03-08-2003 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-08-2003, 12:58 PM
JUN
Tech Adept

Default Re: I'm with Patella

Last edited by JUN; 10-20-2003 at 05:36 AM.
Old 03-08-2003, 01:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Last edited by Motorman; 03-08-2003 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-08-2003, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Motorman
Hold your horses there fella, You obviously cant read well, My posts are direct to the point and tactful. I have never claimed to be any of that stuff your spewing, or patella for that matter. Patella quit putting words in my mouth, Whats with this 400 dollar ebay auction assumption. I have never used those words ever. Quit makin stuff up. I'm done talking about this I will make no more posts regarding it and handle it my own way. Give it a rest.
I don't have any personal beef against you Dennis, why would I? and I'm not making any personal attacks.

The 400 I never claimed you said it. That's just my speculation about where the price will go for a limited edition copyrighted ritchey when it hits ebay. People are checking your threads all the time trying to see when you're going to put them up so I don't see where that speculation is so far off unless you're planning to put buy it now for less than that or something. Either way, you're right, it's old. I'll give it a rest and I apologize if anything I wrote seemed like an personal attack. Folks can disagree on methods without it being personal. l8r
Old 03-08-2003, 03:10 PM
JUN
Tech Adept

Here is a pic of cranks i done while i was eating so it's not my best work but pretty good anyways.

Incase you don't figure it out,i couldn't do this type of work in my wildest dreams.

Last edited by JUN; 10-20-2003 at 05:38 AM.
Old 03-08-2003, 03:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Deleted

PEACE..... be with you all.

Last edited by Never Enough; 03-08-2003 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-08-2003, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Boy you guys are sensitive... try being in the 1/1 scale engine business... everyone steals/copies ideas. If you want to get into a market your not in, just buy the fastest engine and copy it... happens everyday... if your any good you can learn from his work and improve it with your own ideas. but it is much faster to get up to speed by looking at someone else's work and going from there. I can understand Dennis's frustration and I used to feel that way when I felt other's used my hard work to better themself's but I finally figured out that if they copy one of this years motors I have already moved on to an improved one so they are copying old technology and the smart racer knows that if you want the best you go to guys who lead not follow. Since so many copy Dennis's work he is a inovator and if someone wants the best he will pay more for one of his motors, copycat motors will never sell for as much as the real thing. Dennis can make as much money as he wants if he charges for his "cutting edge" technology. He should be flattered at all the guys trying to be like him.

Last edited by ottoman; 03-09-2003 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:16 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by JUN
Ok lets keep this thread going,i heard of a engine tuner out in hong kong anyone know his name,supposed to be pretty good?

Here is a pic of cranks i done while i was eating so it's not my best work but pretty good anyways.

Incase you don't figure it out,i couldn't do this type of work in my wildest dreams.
cant resist to burse your bubble

here is the origin of the picture.

http://www.active-hobby.com/j/next.html
Old 03-09-2003, 04:53 AM
JUN
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Manticore
cant resist to burse your bubble

here is the origin of the picture.

http://www.active-hobby.com/j/next.html
Yep that's where i saw it.

It's very nice work though,too bad i can't read japanese.

Last edited by JUN; 07-07-2003 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-09-2003, 09:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default carlsen modified mr12

has anybody heard of this carlsen modified mr12 5 port turbo????how good are these engines????thanks
Old 03-10-2003, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: carlsen modified mr12

Originally posted by kaozzlord
has anybody heard of this carlsen modified mr12 5 port turbo????how good are these engines????thanks
Probably I'll buy an M-Speed or a Next RS12 before buying one unit of those. Way overpriced for their performance. Probably you get better results with a RB 315 model.
Old 03-10-2003, 07:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: carlsen modified mr12

Originally posted by Corse-R
Probably I'll buy an M-Speed or a Next RS12 before buying one unit of those. Way overpriced for their performance. Probably you get better results with a RB 315 model.
cant wait to break-in my 315...
Old 03-10-2003, 07:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Re: Re: carlsen modified mr12

Originally posted by RClover
cant wait to break-in my 315...
me too...
Old 03-12-2003, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

Default FYI: RB Owners, sleeve with billet machined pistons (S3 version)

For those all RB owners that need to put a new piston/sleeve on their engines. For the 3 port engines there's a new item number with the billet machined piston: 1700-036 is the part no.

The 'old' part no. is 1700-035 and has the 'ol and ye known cast piston' (S1 version).

Some time ago was a thread that talked about RB engines and the different pistons present on them, seemed interesting to post this info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.