Wiki Posts
Search

Team Magic G4

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 07:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The G4s was great The car has balance,streeing everything
We'll have setups soon. Forget the Mongoose, this car (is) the new big ride.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

FORGOT

Congrats AL, one weekend with the car, B main
It's on the way.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:20 PM
al
Tech Apprentice

sorry i didnt get to put the car in the show, i just havent had enough time with the car. as much of a madhouse as the race was i didnt get a chance to test as many differet setups as i would have liked. this was my first race with the g4s and i am really impressed. hopefully with a little more time and testing i can really tweak a setup for everyone. the B main had names like coleman, lyn, and porfirio, all who are factory drivers for ofna and kyosho so i was in pretty good company. here's my setup
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
g4s winternats setup.pdf (76.9 KB, 305 views)
Old 02-19-2006, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The car wanted a whole new setup and we got it close as you can see if you look at Al's lap times in the B main. We had some fuel mileage issues and some radio issues, coupled with only having the car literally a week. For most of us the winternats on sunday practice was the first time we actually put the car on the pavement. I was on a 21 5:04 pace in my 5th or 6th qualifier which would have put me solid in the B and ran out of gas with two laps to go. We have a little work to do but overall for the first week it was not to bad. I was satisfied. Al's laps at the end of the B main were 14.1 to 14.2 consistantly and there were a couple 13.7's.(the numbers started in the 14.7's and fell to 14.1, so we know we were still not geared right as the tires got smaller the car picked up .8 to .9 seconds per lap) The A main guys were running 13.7 almost everyone except paolo from serpent who was running 13.5's. What we need is about .5 sec per lap and I think the team knows where to get it and how to get the fuel mileage we need.
Many thanks to the team I was happy with the result and they did a good job. Nick Dotson didn't make the race but he'll be in vegas.

Al's setup is a very good start and is pretty fast but we need to do alot more testing to find the sweet spot. That setup is pretty much what we all ran.

Don't dismiss the B main at the winternats. Go look at the B main for 1/8th scale. you will see most of the sirio/kyosho team there. The B main at the winternats ain't no gimme either in sedan or 1/8th.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

You say about the gearing, all the Kyosho cars I've had since 1997 have had to be geared up but this car feels overgeared, I managed to get the 23t 2nd but as my dealer is only just starting to stock G4 parts I was unable to get the 18t 1st.
Car feels good, even of a wet slippery track, power drifts were a breeze (killer with the FW05), meeting was abandoned after the track developed standing water but I was sure enjoying the drifting.
Got a few tweaks to do as suggested by Darren so will get them done this week.
Goodbye Kyosho, thanks for the last 9 years, hello TM.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

well done guys, if it was anything like the euros at halifax this year, there just isnt enough track time !

had a look at Al 's set up, and its virtually the same as what ive got on my car

just one thing i really think is worth trying (have a rest first though !), is to shorten the wheelbase on the rear by about 2.5mm, just really helps the car to rotate, it feels lazy to me without it.

maybe i could come and race with you guys sometime ?
Old 02-19-2006, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Congrats Al

Nice to see ya loving the car and having fun again!!
Old 02-19-2006, 04:18 PM
Tech Regular

Good Job to all Team Magic G4S drivers!

Al thanks for the setup page. This should help us all get a good start with the car. I will post it also on my website for others to follow also.

On and up Fellas!

Sam
Old 02-19-2006, 05:32 PM
Tech Master

I took a good look at Al's setup and I noticed he left off that we used all the weights in the clutch flyweights with the spring adjusted to .75 to 1 mm. We also felt that after the race that the car needs to be damped with 1 hole front and 2 hole rear shocks with 60 wt oil. we felt the car might be more reactive that way as we could have used a little more reaction. I had that on my car during the main but did not have a chance to try it as I had radio issues as soon as we started the warm up.
Ray's car was pretty spot on during the C main as he and Al both ended up there. 6 minutes into the race RayJ had passed everyone and was checking out bigtime and the crank broke on his engine. (not one of the OS's) so that ended his run toward the B/A right there.

I do have to say the car is tough. I think we maybe used a half dozen parts all week and the only thing the team actually broke due to our own crashes was about 3 front knuckles and a rear shock tower due to a back in. the car was rock solid everywhere else
Old 02-19-2006, 07:20 PM
Tech Elite

Default Nats.......

Well done to you and all the team Dennis.

Sounds like there was alot of hard work but I think it was rewarded.
A successful first WinterNats for the G4S.
For some reason I can't get the set-up Al posted? Something about pdf my Pc doesn't like I think??

Still, will get it later I guess.
Did you say its very similar to what you posted Darren? The soft set-up you last tested at Aldershot?

Anyway, well done Dennis and all involved !!!!

Tony
Old 02-19-2006, 08:04 PM
Tech Master

we have a ways to go to catch up but were already working on it.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Should have had the car here in Oz for the last 4 months testing I know I know, it wasn't available to the public.

It's a shame TM didn't supply at least a phone number to the Taiwanese drivers that have been running the prototypes so successfully for the last however long, or at least called Daz to see what he'd been up to.

Oh well, what would the fun be if it was already faster than everyone else no matter what setup you put on it.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:06 AM
Tech Regular

Default The new G4S

The new car really created a stir with everyone who saw it at the Ft Myers race. Team Magic really worked out the bugs with the car, and we now have a really sound car. I think it will surprise alot of people this year. We had alot on our plate to try and dial in a brand new car at the winternats. What we all learned will be immeasurable in future events. Dennis worked tirelessly to give us all the best shot at doing well, and the four of us really worked well together as a team to get the most out of the car at a big event. I think it will just get better and better.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

Default Al's set-up

Hey, can someone send me Al's set up he posted here for the WinterNats.
My Pc is having prob's with pdf files for some reason, and its going to take a little time to sort.

Me being impatient would like to see it now.......
Old 02-20-2006, 04:27 PM
al
Tech Apprentice

menace - i have it saved as a jpeg. pm me your email and i'll send it over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.