Wiki Posts
Search

Team Magic G4

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 04:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default One way bearings

The absolute worst thing that you can do to a one way bearing is to be nice to it! If you clean it or if you oil it there is a very good chance that it will reward your kindness by stopping working.

Leave your one way alone and run the car until it gives you trouble and then replace it. I race almost every weekend and my 2 speed one way last more than a year because I ignore it. If I clean or oil today there is a very good chance it won't work tomorrow.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear
Hi Alex

I just had the one way bearing fail in my 2 speed on the G4S after only a few hours of running. I have replaced the shoe cam with K14100 and have a new Kfactory one way (K1423H) on it's way as well. I had been using the Serpent one way lube on it, but never cleaned it. So you suggest running them dry as they come from the factory.

I did borrow a one way off a mate from his G4 Evo and they are different brand bearings, not sure if TM have gone to cheaper brand or not as there has been a few failures reported recently on this thread.

BB
Might be odd bearing failure ,my car hasnt given me any hassles and I clean my bearing at every event with motor spray and lube with Serpent oneway lube.works like charm.Also the guys I have sold cars to have no problems ,only common thing we have is we use Serpent one way lube.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by razzor
Might be odd bearing failure ,my car hasnt given me any hassles and I clean my bearing at every event with motor spray and lube with Serpent oneway lube.works like charm.Also the guys I have sold cars to have no problems ,only common thing we have is we use Serpent one way lube.
You and I have had different experiences with one way lubricant and cleaning. I have seen 2 speed one way failures dramatically increase when the bearing is cleaned and lubed. The most common cleaner is motor spray.

ONE WAY LUBE was introduced a few years ago and immediately afterwards I could not keep one way bearings in stock. When people call in to place an order for a one way I ask them if they have cleaned it and 90% of the time they admit that they have cleaned it and lubed it right before it stopped working. In my mind there is a relationship between cleaning, lubing and failing one way bearings.

My suggestion is to leave the one way alone and only lube it if you start to have problems and no one at the track has a replacement.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Winner's Circle
You and I have had different experiences with one way lubricant and cleaning. I have seen 2 speed one way failures dramatically increase when the bearing is cleaned and lubed. The most common cleaner is motor spray.

ONE WAY LUBE was introduced a few years ago and immediately afterwards I could not keep one way bearings in stock. When people call in to place an order for a one way I ask them if they have cleaned it and 90% of the time they admit that they have cleaned it and lubed it right before it stopped working. In my mind there is a relationship between cleaning, lubing and failing one way bearings.

My suggestion is to leave the one way alone and only lube it if you start to have problems and no one at the track has a replacement.
Noted !
But the question to ask is,
Why does it get stuffed ?
What can be used to remedy the problem ?
What lubricant is used on the bearing when manufactured ?

We havent experienced any problems ,not even on the Serpent cars.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by razzor
Noted !
But the question to ask is,
Why does it get stuffed ?
What can be used to remedy the problem ?
What lubricant is used on the bearing when manufactured ?

We havent experienced any problems ,not even on the Serpent cars.
It is a mystery to me also. Some people have no trouble when they service their one ways but in my experience the majority of people experience failure after the servicing.

I have not cleaned or lubricated a one way in years mostly because the bearing was working fine. Perhaps something has changed now and cleaning and lubricating the bearings may not cause the high failure rate that I experienced.

How about some feedback from other racers to the question of "do you clean and lube your one way and if you do how do you do it?"
Old 10-28-2006, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

I have only had two one-way bearing failures since I started Nitro in 1997.
One was a Kfactory item on an FW05RR, but that was the one-way slipping out of the unit, this kept doing this on the FW05, but when placed in to a V1RR it was as good as gold (I believe the guy is still running it), so obviously it didn't like the angle of a shaft car.

The other was a Kyosho item in a V1R, but it was a very wet meeting and water got in to it, but a quick wipe with a tissue and a single drop of red automatic transmission oil (worked in to the bearing and then wiped away)and it was back in action, and was still working when I sold that car 6 months later.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well, I have never had a one way go out in over 10 years of 1/8th scale racing. I've never heard of so many issuses as I have from some of you here. I tear my car apart after every race. however I only clean the one way about ever month or so. I will spray a "nitro" cleaner in it like the HPI stuff. It evaperates fast and not as harsh as motor cleaner. Any of the safe on plastic sprays. Before the Serpent one way fluid, I would use mineral oil from the drug store. When I do clean and lube I only put 1 drop on the shaft (making sure the shaft or out drive is clean) and spin the shaft or bearing to work it around evenly. Never use more then 1 small drop on those things I think is a key point here. The one way bearings still spins when it's not "grabing" so I believe in the lube method to reduce friction and heat. But when I say 1 drop, I mean a VERY small amount. 1 bottle of one-way lube by Serpent will last a life time. Hope this helps some.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Ran the ED Tranny

Well I ran the ED transmission today. Unfortunately I had a few problems. I was rushed yesterday trying to get it all installed and this attributed to situation.

A couple of things on the install. First of all the front side pulley is clearly marked as reverse threads on the pulley. Besides the pulleys themselves being threaded, there is also a screw that is to lock them in place. I assumed, wrongly, that the screw on the front side pulley was also reverse thread. Took me a while to figure it out. Then I neglected to put thread lock on everything, so I had both side pulleys came loose during the day.

I also had the clutchbell screw work its way out with one minute to go in a qualifier. I never had that happen with a 1/8th buggy. Rotation normally tightens. I still don't know what to think of that. I was reving high and moving very slowly on the last lap I got passed by second place with about 10 feet to go

After that qualifier my clutch was shelled, and I didn't have any extra clutch shoes, so I was done for the day.

Back to the ED, I like the way the pulleys are threaded, and the screw instead of e-clip on the two speed made removal a snap. My mistake was trying to hurry too much on installation, and it cost me. Just stinks that it was the last race of the year
Old 10-28-2006, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

With the one way bearings. The philosophy posted earlier about 1 'small' drop is absolutely correct.

I clean and relube my one way bearings but the key is to never over-oil them. What happens if there is too much oil is that the rollers can no longer make it to the locked position as they are held away by the oil.

Chances are that with the one way's that people on here have said have failed I would almost expect that if these were cleaned of all the oil then they would work perfectly.

One drop of oil is the total required for the entire one way bearing. If you put the one drop on the shaft and slide the one way onto the shaft and then spin it, this is the required amount of lube.

On the other hand I have also used the set and forget method as well. Take it out of the packet and put it on the car and never think about it again. But if you can't help yourself (like me now) then use only ONE DROP. Make sure you don't add one drop to a previously existing one drop either. There is such a thing as being over lubricated. I use metho (denatured alchohol) to clean mine and I don't have any problems.

Cheers,

Mike.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:18 AM
Tech Elite

Have top agree with the 1 drop of oil ,should have mentioned it earlier ,but this is very important as more than a drop is too much.
Royfan ,too bad on your misfortune.
I hope to have my ED before the next club meet ,will take note of the thread issue and post feedback.We have a club meet and a enduro coming up before the year ends.
When it did run did you notice a improvement ?
Old 10-29-2006, 08:46 AM
Tech Regular

I hope to have my ED before the next club meet ,will take note of the thread issue and post feedback.We have a club meet and a enduro coming up before the year ends.
I ordered the ED with 16/21 and left the stock spurs. So I was geared just a little lower in first and barely higher in second. I could tell just a little difference there. Also seemed like the car had less rolling resistance when coasting. May have been because I used the original belts and have more slack after install, or it could be because the brake and side pulleys are larger and present less resistance to belts.

The brake disc is also a good improvement over the stock design. I'm still using the stock pads and the fading wasn't as evident.

I believe in the design. I expect that with thread lock and the care that would be used on other parts of the car it will bring nothing but positives.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

may i ask if the ED System comes with the complete sizes of pinions for 1st and 2nd gear? or do we have to pick ourselves? is it really better than the stock G4S? m also thinking of getting 1
Old 10-30-2006, 07:52 AM
Tech Master

Looks like Team Magic are failing in there quality control section.
How can someone not notice the missing teeth from the brake pulley?

Old 10-30-2006, 09:35 AM
Tech Regular

Looks like Team Magic are failing in there quality control section. How can someone not notice the missing teeth from the brake pulley?
Jeez, that stinks. You'd certainly think someone would notice it along the way. When I put my kit together I got all finished and went to put the wheel/tires on. Got to the last one and couldn't figure out why the nut wouldn't screw on. No threads on the axle...I was bummed to say the least. My excuse for not noticing was staying up to 3am to build it.

Last edited by royfan33; 10-30-2006 at 09:36 AM. Reason: text
Old 10-30-2006, 09:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

wow, that is a big mistake in not having teeth on pulley

they probably want to test G4S as front wheel drive car

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.