Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 705

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 02:36 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Schrijver99
The 705 is the last of the smaller Impact series and is way too heavy. Julius Kolff said (some months ago) that this is the maximum they can get out of this concept.
Which should answer the upgrade question.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:38 AM
Tech Adept

THX Julius, still we can't wait to see (=get) the new car
Old 10-29-2003, 09:08 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Julius
My car at the Euro's needed 40 grams of extra weight to be legal. I did run without sway bars at that track though....
Julius, welcome on board ! Good to have you here and I'm sure everybody will appreciate and look forward to your future inputs and contributions especially with the onset of the new tourer.

Yes, I was actually dying to ask you how you got your car to be "illegally" underweight in the EU... I'm actually surprised at this because many claim that the Serpent is generally overweight which is not as you have managed to do. Did you use the 4 mm chassis or the stock 3 mm one?

Anyway, besides the list of things you did to the car, I think the use of the FC steering blocks with the shorter and lighter aluminum pivot balls and the smaller bearings contributed to the less weight. Right?

Also, is there any difference in weight of the ball diff from the Impact (made of Hudy springsteel) and the 705 ball diff?
Old 10-29-2003, 10:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by InitialD

Also, is there any difference in weight of the ball diff from the Impact (made of Hudy springsteel) and the 705 ball diff?
I have not weighed them both, but the black one sure feels like twice the weight of the spring steel diff. Hence, that is the one in my 705.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:24 PM
Tech Master

I used the 4mm chassis. I have not checked, but I think the weight difference between the stock and hudy steel diffs is very small.

Getting the car light is also a question of the small details. The screw length I mentioned is a good trick. You save a gram on each screw which through the car adds up.

Another thing Rene Cornella does, is using only 4 cells in the receiver pack. There is not a noticable difference while driving and it saves almost 9 grams.

Off course I used the alu pivot balls all round and the FC steering blocks. No small bearings in the rear though.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey Julius cool!, I'll try those out with my Ti parts and see what will happen. I can always be the Guniea Pig.

I was unlcear on waht you said on this:

-" Serpent light wheelaxles front and rear"

I installed the Front Light weight Axles w/ pro wheel axles, and the Rear Wheel Axles. For some reason the Rear PRO axles are WAY to short, I even spaced them out with some O-rings, but still won't do, are they suppose to be like that? An help will be appreciated thanks! I was going to buy another set of the front ones and just put them in the rear if that may help.

chris

p.s. I did install the FC steering blocks and BOY it HELPS quite a bit
Old 10-29-2003, 01:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

OK cool thanks for answering my Question on the car.Oh damn got another(lol)will be be able to get our hands on the new car before the winter nats in Fla?
Old 10-29-2003, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

There was a rumor about a shipping date earlier, which was close to the truth.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:41 PM
Tech Adept

Talking Awsome!!!!

Hi, Julius and welcome aboard!! well is good to hear that a new tourer will be advailable in a few months, I'm not really ancious about the release date, but pleeeease!!,, here between us, what new upgrades can we espect from this new tourer , remember ! ,, here between us!!

Ciao!!
Old 10-29-2003, 03:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

OK guys we are getting abit closer to finding out whats happening with the car.ok new car not same format as the impact series cause its to heavy and the design is at its peak(now follow my lead on this)shipping date was posted sometime in this post date may be close to that.
Ok now Just call on over to M.S. and let him know that us Die hard Serpent fans would like alittle more info.not all at once enough to keep us going.Hell this is like xmas,we know it comes in a box its heavy if we shake it it rattlesjust cant see thru the paper to see what it looks like or read the specs on it.Hey havnt yall ever opened a gift early to find out what it was. lol
Old 10-29-2003, 09:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Any pictures of the new car?
Old 10-29-2003, 11:13 PM
Tech Prophet

Another thing Rene Cornella does, is using only 4 cells in the receiver pack. There is not a noticable difference while driving and it saves almost 9 grams.
I assume these are normal alkaline AAA cells and not NiMH ones? 1.2V x 4 = 4.8 V for the NiMH.

Off course I used the alu pivot balls all round and the FC steering blocks.
By this I assume the rear pivot balls are changed to aluminum?
Old 10-29-2003, 11:19 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by 993power
For some reason the Rear PRO axles are WAY to short, I even spaced them out with some O-rings, but still won't do, are they suppose to be like that? An help will be appreciated thanks! I was going to buy another set of the front ones and just put them in the rear if that may help.
What rear camber are you at? If the rear wheels are having to wide a trackwidth, the rear dogbones might fall out. Keep the rear trackwidth to less than 200 mm and you'll be fine.

I believe the front dogbones are too long for the rear. Besides, you would not want the rear dogbones to bind too much upon the chassis compression.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:21 PM
Tech Prophet

So it is due out the end of this year then?
Old 10-30-2003, 01:02 AM
Tech Master

Rene is using, as I do sometimes, 4 NiMh cells. The radio gear I use (Sanwa) works fine on 4.8 volts. The lover voltage means less Amp draw so the run time is about the same.

The front dogbones will not fit in the rear. The pront is the same size ball outside and inside, where the rear inside is bigger.

I use the Alu pivotballs designed for the FC steeringblocks in the rear as well. The top pivot ball is available in Alu as well for a month or two now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.