Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Trying to get back in the loop.. What to buy? >

Trying to get back in the loop.. What to buy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trying to get back in the loop.. What to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 02:34 AM
Tech Initiate

Talking Trying to get back in the loop.. What to buy?

Hi all, i am looking at getting into the 1/10 nitro on road scene again, but not really sure where a good place to start from would be.

I am looking at taking it to the track once or twice per month to race, and to have a bit of fun at home also.

A while back (10 years almost) i owned a Kyosho V-One-S II, with every intention of racing it on the track, but i had no transport back then, so i couldn't get to any tracks, so i ended up selling it. I recently was recalling good memories from that car, and would like to take it a bit more seriously this time around.

I am completely out of the loop as to what cars people are running on the tracks these days, i am looking at just racing in a Stock,Pro-Stock classes to start out in.

All input is welcome
Old 01-23-2016, 05:11 AM
Tech Elite

There are plenty of good quality .12 engines on the market to choose from and all the top names in chassis, Mugen, Serpent, Capricorn, Shepherd, Xray.. they're all good but unfortunately any notion of reminiscing with a Kyosho is past it's time if you want to compete with the current cars.

Everyone will tell you, go to your local track and see what they're running.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Yeah, I can understand that, I can't get down to a track for maybe a months time, just curious as to what people see at their local tracks? Surely there are people on here that race their 1:10 on road.. If so what are you racing?
Old 01-25-2016, 12:35 AM
Tech Initiate

What are people's thoughts on this kit for essentially a beginner looking to race as an entry to a stock class?
Attached Thumbnails Trying to get back in the loop.. What to buy?-screenshot_2016-01-25-19-31-51.jpg  
Old 01-25-2016, 02:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Lowie57
Yeah, I can understand that, I can't get down to a track for maybe a months time, just curious as to what people see at their local tracks? Surely there are people on here that race their 1:10 on road.. If so what are you racing?
It's a loaded question because you've chosen a world class chassis spec in 200mm 1:10 scale.

Chassis - Race spec - Composite + clutch = $600-800
Engine Pipe and Manifold = 350-600 (depends on bearings and tuning)
Radio, electronics, servos = 1000-1500 includes transponder, spare rx and two race spec servos.
Tools, lubes, chargers, batteries and starter box = $500

So anywhere between 2000-3200 USD for a world class race spec kit ready to build. You haven't bought a set of tyres yet, nor parts

For the hobby spec, there's a many good new RTR with pullstart for under 1000. There will be some advertised for even less, consider you want an internal combustion engine, with a clutch, transmission, drive train AND... Radio systems, batteries and charger... NOt to mention a chassis and suspension... Ask for too much and you'll get nothing, and if you're lucky, maybe a handful of meaningful runs before things start letting go.

There's plenty of second hand race gear REALLY cheap or there are a few chassis makers, EDAM, Team Magic who still have reasonable hobby spec RTR packages you can race with and have a good time for a relatively cheap budget.

In truth, look to 1/8th GT, a Kyosho Inferno, it's more robust and you can keep it running without the wheels falling off.

Good luck.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:41 AM
Tech Adept

I have a brand new 2014 nt1 with parts going cheep $400
And good .12 engines if you need ? Send me a pm if interested and I will send pics 😄
Old 01-25-2016, 06:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snaps5
I have a brand new 2014 nt1 with parts going cheep $400
And good .12 engines if you need ? Send me a pm if interested and I will send pics 😄
That's at the race spec end, I think my point was, it's not cheap and he'd have to spend another 1000+ to get the NT1 running.

How much would you sell him the complete race package? The lot, tools, starterbox, truer, engines, radio, electronics, charger, lubes..?

There's no point in teasing people in over a budget and a pullstart IC car on rubbers is a great way to keep cost down. Once you use foam tyres, the grip is hard to give up and costs go up.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Like I said, I'm just a beginner looking at getting into the hobby, so I definitely don't want to be spending mega bucks on something I am more than likely to break! my budget would definitely be under $1000 for starters. Is there any decent kits under that, that would have reasonably priced replacement parts for when things start to break?
Old 01-25-2016, 03:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Unfortunately there is no spec or cheap nitro sedan class. If you get a ready to run kit and like racing you will have to upgrade to a race spec class to compete. You will then be behind the eight ball and have a worthless RTR that you would be stuck with.

Get a good chassis. You can always save money on the engine and radio gear.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:46 PM
Tech Initiate

So I just spoke the the guy running our local meets, and he said that most guys are running 1/8 scale, so I was having a look around and found the Kyosho inferno GT2. Would this be a half decent starter kit?
Old 01-25-2016, 04:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by blis
It's a loaded question because you've chosen a world class chassis spec in 200mm 1:10 scale.

Chassis - Race spec - Composite + clutch = $600-800
Engine Pipe and Manifold = 350-600 (depends on bearings and tuning)
Radio, electronics, servos = 1000-1500 includes transponder, spare rx and two race spec servos.
Tools, lubes, chargers, batteries and starter box = $500

So anywhere between 2000-3200 USD for a world class race spec kit ready to build. You haven't bought a set of tyres yet, nor parts

For the hobby spec, there's a many good new RTR with pullstart for under 1000. There will be some advertised for even less, consider you want an internal combustion engine, with a clutch, transmission, drive train AND... Radio systems, batteries and charger... NOt to mention a chassis and suspension... Ask for too much and you'll get nothing, and if you're lucky, maybe a handful of meaningful runs before things start letting go.

There's plenty of second hand race gear REALLY cheap or there are a few chassis makers, EDAM, Team Magic who still have reasonable hobby spec RTR packages you can race with and have a good time for a relatively cheap budget.

In truth, look to 1/8th GT, a Kyosho Inferno, it's more robust and you can keep it running without the wheels falling off.

Good luck.
Yup

(It's bigger, more roomy a chassis, it's a Kyosho and those in the know, know. It's shaft driven and mechanically easy to work on, has great radio boxes to help keep electronics clean and safe. They used to put cheap servos in them, they're metal geared now, but I wouldnt make any promises. The standard engine, while not a World record breaker is a reliable and trusty engine, as good an engine as you'd want for the money. It has a decent clutch you can service and the metallurgy and precision is top quality. You won't get better value for money in any other nitro IC class.)

You will want to have someone experienced run in the engine, my first Nitro experience as a NEWBIE was an Inferno, if you've never owned a nitro engine before, then prior to running it, go to a track or the LHS, look for a tubby grey old man who's eyes light up when he see's your model and reaches for a tuning screw driver while he asks if you've run it in yet. These engine are easy to run for those with experience OR can be a blistered hand, broken pullstart nasty nasty intro into the world of Nitro IC.

Last edited by blis; 01-25-2016 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Awesome, looks like I have a decent starting point then I noticed this kit comes with the pistol remote also, can you think of anything that I may need to buy straight up Ali g with the kit?
Old 01-25-2016, 04:21 PM
Tech Initiate

This is the one I am looking at
Attached Thumbnails Trying to get back in the loop.. What to buy?-screenshot_2016-01-26-11-19-44.jpg  
Old 01-25-2016, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

Awesome, looks like I have a decent starting point then I noticed this kit comes with the pistol remote also, can you think of anything that I may need to buy straight up Ali g with the kit?
Here's what I'd ask the LHS, and I do recommend buying it from a local store to have the support, any premium you pay is worth it at the start.

You NEED:

A good charger and Harness. For Glow Starter and Car battery and everything else around the home.

LiFe battery to power the car (6.6), or a LiPo(7.4v) if radio gear is HV capable, or regulator. Ask LHS for best solution.

1.5/2/2.5mm Hex drivers - Kyosho comes with an awesome cross but wrench.

VALUE pack of 50 AA batteries for Transmitter

Two spare clutch bearings and some spare clutch springs

Spare set of Spur gears.

If you wish to service engine then a flywheel remover can come in handy.

A nice fuel bottle, let them keep the NEWBIE starter pack, you don't need it, you have your own charger and harness and all you need is a fuel bottle and glow starter. Buy a cheap heat shrunk glow starter like the one that comes with the inferno with the pale green battery, they are the best!

OH, and if you can find a bottle of patience, I think they sell it in very small vials at elite LHS, but it's too expensive for the average man.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

This is the one I am looking at
LOL... That's spooky, my son works there! It's Australia day, he'll be there tomorrow.

PS: Old mate "General" has a shiny new one of these in his living room, I invite his first impressions, it's a beautiful thing!

Last edited by blis; 01-25-2016 at 04:49 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.