Search

Nitro V Electric??

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 05:24 AM
Tech Master

Default Nitro V Electric??

Hi

I thought i would kick this one off!

I am a dedicated Nitro fan and love the mechanics of the cars and the noise of the engines but in the UK is getting increasingly difficult to use the cars for a number of reasons such as

Local planning laws
Complaints from noise
The weather!!

I have used electric in the past but the 5 min restriction of battery runtime was a very big minus point. With the recent developments in battery and brushless technology electric cars are now running faster and longer and could "almost" be considered a viable alterative to Nitro cars.

I would like to see a brushless motor made specifically for 1/8th cars pushing out 3HP and a set of LiPo cells that last 10 mins and could be changed in 15 seconds max. At least we could use these indoors, assuming the place was big enough, and not worry about ventilation

Any comments?
Old 11-05-2005, 08:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ziggy12345
I would like to see a brushless motor made specifically for 1/8th cars pushing out 3HP and a set of LiPo cells that last 10 mins and could be changed in 15 seconds max. At least we could use these indoors, assuming the place was big enough, and not worry about ventilation

Any comments?
Being an electric guy, I have a few comments. A 3HP motor would be not really feasible, and trying to charge a LiPo (Lithium is an Alkali metal, and is extremely reactive, especially with water) in 15 seconds is borderline suicide. No battery would be able to handle that kind of charge rate, unless it is submerged in dry ice to keep it cool. One of the benefits to LiPos, though, is that leaving them charged is not nearly as bad as leaving a NiMH charged. You still get 99.9% of your performance back, meaning you can charge your LiPo packs the night before the race, and only have to bring your car to the track, assuming you're running the brushless set up like you want to. I can tell you that charging in 15 seconds will NEVER happen, because the call can't handle it, and you would have to be charging at 30-35 amps, and power supplies that provide that amperage would be rediculously expensive. While they ARE out there, they are upwards of 200-250 bucks.
-Josh
Old 11-05-2005, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

Hi

CHANGED not CHARGED. I was thinking of a quick connector.

I think brushless motors will go up to around 4000Hp or they are called Series shunted but the same thing only they use electro magnets.

You can get a brushless motor for a plane thats 2.5 hp and heres a link for a 3HP one

http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/462734/489

Im not saying the model industry is geared up yet for 1/8th electric but if it came to it and IC was getting more and more bad press then im sure its not a too distant prospect. With a 3HP motor and LiPo cells that last 10 mns and can be CHANGED in 15 seconds its sounds attractive.... almost....
Old 11-05-2005, 09:06 AM
Tech Addict

You're having trouble changing a battery in less than 15 seconds? Are you hardwiring them? It takes me like 10 seconds to take off the battery strap, switch the bats out, and put the strap back on. And those motors are AC powered, with at least 100 volts. Our motors operate on 7. Not to mention those motors are waaaay bigger than TC motors. By inches! Corally makes these pole connectors. You just take a pole, put it in a tube soldered to the battery bar, and there you go!
-Josh
Old 11-05-2005, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by josh69162
Being an electric guy, I have a few comments. A 3HP motor would be not really feasible, and trying to charge a LiPo (Lithium is an Alkali metal, and is extremely reactive, especially with water) in 15 seconds is borderline suicide. No battery would be able to handle that kind of charge rate, unless it is submerged in dry ice to keep it cool. One of the benefits to LiPos, though, is that leaving them charged is not nearly as bad as leaving a NiMH charged. You still get 99.9% of your performance back, meaning you can charge your LiPo packs the night before the race, and only have to bring your car to the track, assuming you're running the brushless set up like you want to. I can tell you that charging in 15 seconds will NEVER happen, because the call can't handle it, and you would have to be charging at 30-35 amps, and power supplies that provide that amperage would be rediculously expensive. While they ARE out there, they are upwards of 200-250 bucks.
-Josh
I got a questions about your post about leaving NIMH charged? What do you mean , full max charge and letting it sit or what level of charge? I thought it wasnt good to let a nimh sit without charge and for storage to leave them with half charge?

Also electrics can run long run times. Just dont get a super low turn motor. I know with a few of my electric buggies I was seeing 30minutes on not so great sport packs.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:21 PM
Tech Addict

What I meant was that if you charge your packs the night before the race, and then use them the next day, you obviously won't see optimal performance. When I store my packs, I don't leave a full charge, only a small, partial charge. I discharge them to .9V/cell, and just leave them be. For long term storage (months at a time), you want to put 500 seconds of charge in them. Did that answer everything?
-Josh