R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Bring back the 235mm class poll!!! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/86750-bring-back-235mm-class-poll.html)

JLMG1971 10-10-2005 03:59 PM

Bring back the 235mm class poll!!!

Well the EP guys have their 1/10 pan car poll, what about about a : "Bring back 235mm nitro poll "
Nothing like a serpent 835 to rip the track....
What do you think guys?

rinkeberg 10-10-2005 07:53 PM

yea it would be good if 235mm would make a come back but ive already tried this in Aus and its obvious that there arent going to be any brands bringing 235mm back for a long time, some reasons being that theres no market for it now but they are good fun, good luck, and if 235mm make a come back within the nxt 2yrs or more then id be more than happy to get into it.

joezjr 10-10-2005 08:03 PM

I honestly dont see it happening. I hate to say it but most people would rather spend the extra couple hundred and race 1/8th scale. I know the class is dead in the heart of america series. Although they would run it if there were 3 people to run it. Anyways who else has a 235mm car out???

rinkeberg 10-10-2005 08:12 PM

well i still do but since 235mm aint being raced im going either 1/8th on road or off road 2 of the fastest nitro classes.

tomkelley 10-11-2005 05:22 AM

What about 2wd? From what I hear it was a very fun economical class. No worry on front to rear tires. Thats one thing that seems to be missing from nitro onroad... an economical class.

Perhaps 2wd should run only closed cockpit bodies or sedans and 4wd should run open. If some people get together and try to host races exclusively for 235mm maybe there might be a chance to bring it back.

sedanaddict 10-11-2005 06:15 AM

we had 14 cars at the midwest series in hamilton,ohio over the weekend. the top drivers were within 1.5 seconds per lap of the 1/8 scales

Jamie Corrado 10-11-2005 06:32 AM

235mm used to be my favorite class. I would welcome it back if it was resurected. The problem to me is lack of inovation over the years. And most would rather run the big boy 1/8th class even if they cannot handle it. It is a shame how the major companies/local racers let this class die.

rinkeberg 10-11-2005 06:44 AM

yes it is a shame that this class aint raced anymore

Solara 10-11-2005 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by sedanaddict
we had 14 cars at the midwest series in hamilton,ohio over the weekend. the top drivers were within 1.5 seconds per lap of the 1/8 scales

I can back up what Sedanaddict said...........I was there with those 15-16 racers that raced the 235mm.........cars from Mugen Avance, Serpent 835, to oldies like Impact M2, are still making 20-22 sec lap times, that is very close to 1/8th scale speed and just par with those top 200mm speed......it is FUN, and there are ppl still racing that..........

To get more ppl to race 235mm...? Yes, that would be good, but so far, it is all GOOD already..........as long as you are locate in Mid West area and race Mid West Series...

P.S...Sedanaddict, who exactly are you..? I might met you the past weekend...just want to say Hi and it was a NICE RC WEEKEND for us CHICAGO racers....great track and totally awesome.

sedanaddict 10-11-2005 11:41 AM

i am mike lindsay. the guy who couldn't get it together until the main!

Solara 10-11-2005 11:46 AM

i am mike lindsay. the guy who couldn't get it together until the main!

Hi Mike...I think I know who you are................talk about couldn't get it together until the main.............I am not far from that, TIMES 3, I ran all 3 classes.....200mm 1/8th and 235mm.............not old enough to run MASTER or I willl do 4....LOL

fraz 10-11-2005 01:12 PM

Still have my car with parts and plenty of tires. If somebody could guarantee a big turnout for this class, I would dust it off.

DaRaceMasta 10-11-2005 04:44 PM

good to hear that the 235mm class cars are still making an effort to get out and race, i wish it was like that over here in Australia.

JLMG1971 10-11-2005 05:42 PM

Well here in Montreal the class is still alive, we race 2wd. It is fun and economical, very fast and great for driving....
You can see pics and info at www.rcmontreal.com

DaRaceMasta 10-11-2005 07:42 PM

Right o mate thanx for the link, if only Mugen ahd the advance back in OZ with add least 2 brands id say that ppl would get back into it, some may do that.

willy wuyts 10-12-2005 05:31 AM

Serpent is brainstorming about a porsche cup in 235mm.
http://www.mytsn.com/publ/publ.asp?pid=11273

since we made the switch to 4wd, drivers are coming back to race this class.
2wd was far to difficult to drive on low grip tracks, and set up was very critical.
Here in Belgium (the land of Ilia van Gastel and Steven Cuypers) we do not give up, we just keep on racing those fun cars.

I always laugh when i see the struggle some drivers have in 1/8 to keep their over powered cars on the track, and the amount of engines that are needed each year in 200mm... OMG
The lack of inovation in 835's serpent does not bother me, their is no need to make it more difficult than it is allready.
More than enough screws to fiddle around with.
keep all the roll centers, front diffs, wheel base far away from this class!!!!!!
Remember most drivers just want to drive, and they do not understand all the possible set ups.
We have an "easy" car, do not mess around with it to make it more complicated.

tomkelley 10-12-2005 05:50 AM

I wonder why not make it a 2wd porsche cup?

willy wuyts 10-12-2005 07:01 AM

open class?

Oh I think it will be an "open class", so if you want to race 2wd...
If setup is good, and grip is OK they are very fast.
but overhere we prefer 4wd. The Porsche 911 is hard enough to handle, with lack of downforce
In our club,when we where still driving 2wd, there where just 4 drivers left, we switched to 4wd and we are back to 15 at the moment!!!!
And also, 4WD is an Efra rule.

Solara 10-12-2005 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by tomkelley
I wonder why not make it a 2wd porsche cup?

2WD might work at track like Cinci (the past weekend) or Toledo (a month before).........if they are running at track(parking lot) like Chicago...not a chance.

ziggy12345 10-12-2005 09:09 AM

In the UK we normally have 4 heats for 235 cars (up to 40 entries!) during the nationals. They seem to be slightly faster than the touring but only just.

I would consider it if there was support from the makers. There is only the Serpent kit raced here. I would like to see a 200m outlaw class in the nationals as well

Cheers

sedanaddict 10-12-2005 09:14 AM

with as much traction that we had at hamilton this weekend, the 2wd's could almost keep up with the 4's. with the weight advantage they might even be faster!
i would love to see the rules changed to allow .18 size motors. we could just about run with the 1/8's then. the outlaw 200 mm sedans with 5+ ports have a hp advantage on us at the big track.

David Szigeti 10-12-2005 12:28 PM

835er

Well in Montreal we are still raceing the 835 class.
Not going to le it go easyly!!!!!!!!!!

not crazy about the 710, and our track is not quite big enough for the 1/8,

later guys
Dave

Solara 10-12-2005 01:11 PM

with as much traction that we had at hamilton this weekend, the 2wd's could almost keep up with the 4's. with the weight advantage they might even be faster!
i would love to see the rules changed to allow .18 size motors. we could just about run with the 1/8's then. the outlaw 200 mm sedans with 5+ ports have a hp advantage on us at the big track.

I do have the OS 18 TZ modified and tried it on my 835....to be honest, even listed 1.8HP (RCCA even said it was 2.3Hp....) the weigh of the 835 does not make the 18 engine pulled the car any faster.........In fact, my MS 15 3 port is just as good as the 18TZ....but at least, running 5 minutes with that big block 15 is not a problem...

18TZ can only last me 4 minutes......

EdwardN 10-12-2005 01:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
If you guys will bring 235 mm class, we can bring very good engines with all our bells and withles (if you know about Palamris Racing). Everything 50% ready to resume .15 big blocks

Jpilone 10-12-2005 02:26 PM

i'm all for it!!

http://www.jpsportspics.com/trophy.jpg

coco 10-12-2005 07:30 PM

Hi Guys, this year I raced the 710 and I loved it. About a month ago I was putting together and setting up a friends Serpent 835 4WD. When finished at 12:30AM I ran it in the driveway, the temperature was cold about +6 C. Something was very different from my past experiences the car handled very well in a dusty driveway, it was like it was on rails so we went to a big parking lot ofcourse dirty and dusty and had a blast the car was on rails. At our Last Enduro race in Montreal I was overlapping some fast 235mm driver with my 3 port Mega .12, and I was running at 210 F. only. I would love to go 235mm but only if our club goes 4WD and 5-port turbo .15 because I would be very disappointed if a .12 would be faster.

Good luck 235mm Guys

jasons56 10-12-2005 09:00 PM

More than a decade ago, I raced a 235mm 2wd Serpent. I loved the relative simplicity of the car and the inexpense of the class. It DID take some patience behind the wheel.
I don't do gas OnRoad anymore. I raced Offroad 1/10 Gas Truck a few times this year and loved it, but everyone went to 1/8 scale and the truck class was a dud.
It amazes me how people love to spend themselves out of racing. They let me run my 1/10 scale 2wd truck in the 1/8 scale 4wd class a few times. Yeah, the fast guys consistantly were 1-2 seconds a lap faster. BUT, I COULD PUT LAPS on 80% of the field.
Why do people that haven't even learned to do 2 minutes without a crash are adamant that they have to race in the most expensive class?

michelf 10-13-2005 08:55 AM

Having fun

The perfect ingredients for having fun in doing RC: a challenging car to drive (such as 2WD) + a powerfull engine + reliability (so won't smash into pieces the first time you will hit the board) + a good looking body (let's say a Can-Am Lola or anything that looks different from your ordinary sedan) + a reasonnable budget. You can hardly find better that the 235mm 2WD class on all of those aspects.

texasbabey 10-13-2005 01:14 PM

I just got a Impact M2 Challenger preety good condition with a mega.15 and mega pipe.But the only thing it dont have is the pully for the front for the 4wheel drive if im not mistaken the car is 4wheel isint it?

mxs 10-13-2005 02:33 PM

Absolutely. I got mine 835 4WD in June and this was by far the most exciting nitro season for me. I've been all the time on average traction tracks and the car is still a dream to drive. I am still limiting the throttle as this car is very fast even with EVO 5 standard three port. I won't even get into how much less I paid for tires and parts per season. Unbelievable. I am very happy and will never look back to 1/10 unless a lot of things will change (which they won't so I am not worried...:-))

Cheers

David Szigeti 10-13-2005 06:07 PM

2 wheel drive 835 for real drivers

In Montreal we race our 835s with 2 wheel drive only, Of coarse you have to be very patient to find the proper setup of the car and also to learn to drive with a great deal of finesse, we are not alot that are receing this class, just for the simple reason that as a 2wheel drive it is very dificult to drive it well, so guys just giveup and race the little 710s,but thats okay, cause the competition is hot, as for the guy who said that he was lapping the 835s with his 710........well the only 835s that he was lapping were the ones that were off the track.
One belt, one diff, no tire ratios, cheap easy and fast.....what a hobby should be!!!!!!!!!!

Later Dave.

JLMG1971 10-14-2005 09:08 AM

2wd is real nice to race, nervous and very responsive. The car feels light and fast..... As David said it is a little longer to find the right setup, but once you get it, it is for sure faster than a 710....

ziggy12345 10-14-2005 01:15 PM

Get over to 3hobby.net and see the video of the National 235 race at Tibshelf. Its awesome!!

coco 10-14-2005 05:49 PM

Hi Guys, Serpent 835 is a great car very thought and reliable. I had one too. If you want to encourage the class, you have to make it easer to drive for beginners not harder. 2WD on a, even slightly slippery track, is impossible to drive but a 4WD is very very easy to drive by far. Some guys say: but what about cost. 2WD is cheaper, yes it is, if traction is very good, but if it is not you sleep and slid and brake the car, that is costly too. Yes 4WD has 4 more bearings, 2 more dog bones and two more belts. But you do not need a pro diff. in the back, less maintenance on that part. So how many times you have to change your bearings in a season, not much so not very costly there too. But belts and gears sometimes you have to change, that is a small price to pay for so much more traction and handling. Also, don’t forget in Montreal we have been using VP witch costs the Club an extra $800 a barrel and $350 a barrel of methanol and all this is on top of sugar and water. You have to admit it is costly to accommodate 2WD verses 4WD. If the 4WD’s extra bearings, belts, gears and dog bones are “soooo” much more expensive to race, I wonder why the 200mm class is growing? So, I don’t think cost and maintenance is an issue here. You should use all the advantages that the 835 has over 200mm and pout away the disadvantageous. Go 4WD to make it easy driving. Get rid of Lola bodies because they are simply ugly verses all the other bodies. Go 5 port turbo or outlaw engines so you blow the doors off the 200mm’s. This is only an opinion maybe I’m right maybe I’m wrong. I would be sad to see this class disappear it is easy to set up, easy to work on and lots a place for radio equipment.

Good luck.

DaRaceMasta 10-14-2005 08:24 PM

hmm id definatly agree on that one "COCO", if theres a good number of 235mm cars, 10 or 15 then keep racing, the class will have a better chance of coming back when people see how well they go and really quick they are and Mugen USA for eg see you guys racing them may make them think about bringing their 235mm back and then you guys will not just have serpent but also Mugen and from there just organise events and post info on the websites all over, and the best one would be this web site which has drivers from many countries and im sure that companys are browsing these forums to get some feedback on their cars popularity so dont give up and within 5 or even less yrs 235mm will come back.

David Szigeti 10-15-2005 07:15 AM

Coco...........you guys allready have 2 classes with 4wheel drive, youstill have to put sugar and vht..............and plus you want to put a 5 port engine in the 835...........i can not believe this comeing from a guy who gave up on the 835 so easily........way too much opinion from a guy who races a 710 and not a 835...........play with your class and leave ours alone. Our club is allready almost dead because of the way you guys run our club!!!!!!!!!! Keep up the good work..............Lets make it even more expensive for the racers..............What.........you want to charge us to race every season but you dont want to buy VHT..........you are starting to make me sick........

Dave.........

JLMG1971 10-15-2005 07:46 AM

I completely agree with David.... I don't want to comment on how the club is being run because that defeats the pourpose of this threat, but I agree...
About VHT, there are less expensive formulas that work as good as VP, I recently read somewhere about MountainDew syrop + castor oil + plus alcohol. Besides we were running impacts 2wd some years ago with no VP, only sugar and water and traction was good..... you only have to get the right setup....
5 port engine, turbo..... please that must be a joke right..... My Mega MS Evo 4 3 ports is plenty fast, and it blows any 200mm 4wd (read 710). What is needed is not insane powerful engines, it is better to know how to drive and how to setup the car.....
I hope this threat does not deviate from what it is intended for, trying to keep the 235mm class alive!!!!

coco 10-15-2005 08:08 AM

Hi Dave, this is not a personal attack!!!. It is an opinion. In the free world I think I have the right to my opinions NO??. So why the "harsh" words. And if you noticed I deleted my post in our forum so not to disturb our club, even if it is for the better. By the way the 4WD 200mm class always complained about VP because of traction rolls. I am glad that you see the club is passing through some though times, so it is very critical that the ALL the members specially the elders to do some simple sacrifices to encourage NEW members by attracting them in to the club in every way.

coco 10-15-2005 09:05 AM

Hey guys we all know what is better and what is not good, about racing. What is good for someone is not necessary good for someone else. Setup of a car is very personal, so you cannot generalize. I did not say 2WD and turbo, I sad “4WD and Turbo” Here is an example of what I mean. The elites of our club including me, knew very well our track dose not handle 1/8th class right? But we still both them right? That is the human nature, always running after greed and power. So use this to your advantage to revive the class so let the 235 class too it’s “full potential maximum power and maximum handling”. Tern it loose, stop pouting limits on it. It seams like you guys are more interested in what is appropriate for you and not for the 235 class. Imagine a new guy come to the club and you have to suggest him to buy a car. Would you suggest 2WD or 4WD?. So use the easy way to promote the class. PS: We are fitting for the same goal, not against each other. And if any body gets dizzy and sick he or she, should take two Aspirins and see a doctor. Please kindly read this post as an opinion and suggestions, not as an ultimatum. Also please forward all personal thoughts to my E-mail not in the forums please.

Thank you and best regards.

JLMG1971 10-15-2005 09:48 AM

Coco thanks for you opinion, but I think you better go discuss club issues to the club's own website. I think I made clear and even the tittle says it, this threat is intended to try to revive the 235mm class. Nobody here (besides the rcmontreal.com club members) care about what issues we have in our club.
You are welcome to comment, if you like, about THE 235MM CLASS.