Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Returning after 9 years... Help please!! >

Returning after 9 years... Help please!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Returning after 9 years... Help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I switched from XRay to Serpent this year and was really happy. Both cars are nice builds and easy to drive. After running my 747 all summer, I decided to get some laps with my old NT that i kept,"just in case". Not surprisingly, I was within a few tenths of the Serpent. The NT is always maintained to the highest level and I even lent it out to a trusted racer who decided to get back in. He drove it a little while til he got his '14 car. He wasn't any faster than with my old car. Construction and maintenance are key. Bottom line,, all the major cars are good, my .02. Good Luck with your choice!
Old 10-28-2014, 03:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Indeed I couldn't agree with you more. It is in most cases an emotional buy and depends on the driver and build at this level of cars.

I think I will go with the one I like the most aesthetically... My understanding is that any of the kits I mentioned is really good and I cannot afford to run them back to back to see which one I am more comfortable with.

My short list has now become Shepherd, Capricorn and yes... I am looking into the Serpent too!!

Thinking about things, the Mugen is just another efficient, excellent but uninspiring car... Will go with a euro design!!

Pedro
Old 10-28-2014, 04:07 PM
Tech Adept

Welcome back. I came back to 1/8 and for a brief period 1/10 after a 14 year lay off as well. Ended up sticking with 1/8 as I found it easier (opposite of you!)

Things have come a long way. Capricorn are euro champ material. As for stuff to get.... Look at the euro nitro series website for an idea.

All the above are good stuff as are the cars mentioned in earlier posts. Capricorn have just come out with a brand new car the C03 as have Mugen with the mtx6. I would go with either of these given pedigree. But you need to consider parts support.

Radio wise go with the sanwa m12 or the futaba 4px. The 4px is the most comfortable to use and menu system is second to none. Speed of the radio is easily the same as the m12 as well except the m12 almost feels like a hammer compared to the futaba due to balance.

Engines are reds, orcan, nova virtus, Rb cxr ielasi, xrd team edition etc. The mods like Murnan are nice too.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:42 PM
Tech Initiate

I always been a Serpent driver since 25 years , so maybe not the best advice
but I have never been disappointed by the brand and the contact I had with them ; always there for advice and helps , so ..... Serpent

in addition, I will get for the chassis you will have the better parts suppliers close to your location
Old 10-29-2014, 06:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks, it is encouraging to see such enthusiasm after your 14 years of absence, I feel better now. At times I thought maybe coming back was a bad idea but your post made me think I am not too old to comeback.

Thanks for the euro nitro series, I am starting to understand better what is out there now and even though all good cars I just have to make a decision. No car is going to make me win races or anything but I can afford a good car so I will treat myself to one even if my ability is modestly average.

I have a Futaba 3PK, would that be a good radio to use today?

Pedro
Old 10-29-2014, 09:57 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Newbiecrg
Thanks, it is encouraging to see such enthusiasm after your 14 years of absence, I feel better now. At times I thought maybe coming back was a bad idea but your post made me think I am not too old to comeback.

Thanks for the euro nitro series, I am starting to understand better what is out there now and even though all good cars I just have to make a decision. No car is going to make me win races or anything but I can afford a good car so I will treat myself to one even if my ability is modestly average.

Pedro
Pedro, like you my last radio was a futaba 3pk. The key thing to note is that there is no need to mess around with crystals anymore. The new generation of radios bind under a 2.4ghz system now much like connecting to wifi. So put the 3pk to rest permanently and pick up the new 4px. It's the full monty and to me the best balanced radio out there.

And I basically went to town on radios... I bought the sanwa m12, futaba 4pk super r, ko propo ex1 and finally the futaba 4px (which is also the latest release). The 4px is my most favorite followed by the m12. All the other radios are now for sale...
Old 10-29-2014, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Pedro

Here's my 3PK with a Spektrum Mod. Works flawlessly.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Lots of good input here for you. Consider the GT8 class as an option. Locally the 10th nitro has dropped off while the GT class has grown. They are fast , tough as nails , and very easy to set up and drive. Another wrench in the mix.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I have a very lightly used KO Propo Eurus if your looking for a radio to buy
Old 10-29-2014, 11:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TeamCarnage

Here's my 3PK with a Spektrum Mod. Works flawlessly.
If the transmitter is working flawlessly...then keep it!!

If you want a new one just because you cann, the Sanwa MT-4 is very nice and just as fast as the most expensive ones
Old 10-29-2014, 12:01 PM
Tech Rookie

This has been an excellent thread, again, thank you so much for all the input.
I have a much better idea of what is going on out there. I think I have a good idea of what I am going to get. I will keep you posted, thank you.

Pedro
Old 11-04-2014, 03:30 PM
Tech Addict

Pedro, When your ready for your new Shepherd Velox V8, just get in touch with us.
Greg Esser
Shepherd USA
Old 11-13-2014, 05:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would say for the money the os speed motors are hard to beat... As far as cars go I am a mugen guy but any of the cars you mentioned are just fine. Important thing is to have you back in the hobby with equipment you like and having a good time
Old 11-14-2014, 10:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks, unfortunately here in UK it seems difficult to buy a Mugen, at least my online searches come up pretty dry for the MTX6. I have got the engine, ended up getting a Virtus .12, I swapped my 3PK radio for a 4PK (used but in good condition)

Planning to get Kopropo servos, chassis wise it will be a Serpent 748 or a Shepherd, both seem to be well supported here. I know Serpent, used to have a 950-R, getting a bit curious about the Shepherd, maybe just to try something different. We shall see, will get my chassis after Christmas.

Pedro
Old 11-14-2014, 02:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks, unfortunately here in UK it seems difficult to buy a Mugen, at least my online searches come up pretty dry for the MTX6. I have got the engine, ended up getting a Virtus .12, I swapped my 3PK radio for a 4PK (used but in good condition)

Planning to get Kopropo servos, chassis wise it will be a Serpent 748 or a Shepherd, both seem to be well supported here. I know Serpent, used to have a 950-R, getting a bit curious about the Shepherd, maybe just to try something different. We shall see, will get my chassis after Christmas.

Pedro
Since they all are good buy one with best support for parts in area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.