Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does chassis matter so much ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 10:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Does chassis matter so much ?

I am really wondering here, does chassis matter so much in 1/10th Nitro racing ? Lets not compare this with real cars, because its an almost completely different matter althogether.

I currently view 1/10th RC road car chassis as a mere platform to bolt on an engine. All that trick suspension, all that carbon fibre are viewed as a feel good thing. I believe tyre choice, engine choice and driver skills are the most important, its 90% the above, 10% chassis. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The car barely rolls , barely uses its suspension travel on those smooth racing tracks. A car with a low CG, decent suspension (I would think elastomers over coil spring), good reliability would be enough. I believe the sponge tyre or the foams in a tyre provides most of the lateral movement in a on road low travel car, much like F1. A R40, MTX3, 710, V1RRR, OFNA will go round the track at the same time given the same parameters. Driver error/skill is such a big component in this sport that negates the other issues. Far more so than a real car.

I would like to hear your thoughts.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:21 PM
5iN
Tech Initiate

Yeah, I've been wondering this too. I don't even think shifter karts have the use of shocks of the same caliber as a 1/10th scale car.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:31 AM
Tech Adept

Without the "chassis" effects the cars would only suit one or two drivers. The various adjustments on a chassis ( springs, oils, geometry ) allow tuning to driving styles.

The idea should be to have the chassis plate as an imovable block which allows the rest of the suspension to work.

If you have a flexible chassis plate it becomes a large undamped spring which makes the car unpredictable to drive.

This is much like full sized go-cart racing - suspension is banned to make the driver do the work but if you loosen some of the chassis screws and allow it to flex you get some form of suspension.