help mixing fuel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

help mixing fuel

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 07:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Anyone with access to a drag race track should be able to pick some up from the VP fuel guy, particularly during large events.

I don't think it would cost you much relative to what we pay per gallon of fuel. Methanol and Nitro-methane are standard fuels for a lot of drag race cars.

Heck, I'm gonna have to get some myself! Why haven't I ever thought of this? We've run a drag race car for my whole life and this never occurred to me. DUH...
Old 09-15-2005, 07:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Hesky
I wonder if I can get some nitro on prescription
Best place to try would be a raceing fuel supplier here in Cali. their are lots of suppliers; we used a great company called ERC
Old 09-15-2005, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

http://www.worldwideracingfuels.com/catalog_c30758.html

http://www.worldwideracingfuels.com/catalog_c30755.html

http://www.klotzlube.com/storeProdDetails.asp?pi=6

http://www.klotzlube.com/storeProdDetails.asp?pi=31

Here is everything to make excellent fuel
Old 09-15-2005, 09:31 PM
Tech Regular

150 bucks for 55G of methanol thats cheaper than regular unleaded per gallon here in the uk! thats it im gonna run my vw on methanol from now on
Old 09-16-2005, 12:23 AM
Tech Elite

Methanol was never a cost factor in R/C fuel. The problem is the Nitro. You have to have a license to get it.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:31 AM
Tech Adept

I just mixed my first 2 litres of fuel.
I got all the components from the LHS, and they are made by Jonkers, that's the manufacturer of Tornado.
I mixed 16% nitro, 6% synthetic and 3% castor oil.

It's very easy to do and cheaper.
I don't see why you have to be a chemist to mix you fuel.....
I don't see what mixing has to do with chemistry.....

BTW: I got my nitro from the LHS...no license needed...
Old 03-24-2006, 04:34 AM
Tech Regular

HEy guys you forgot to metione something.

The main reason that sometimes the fuel that you mix your self is that the product is more "fresh", less abuse during trasnportation after mixxing.

Also one problem that you could encounter is that not all oils mix with nitro and methanol. I been distributor for some brands and know that all brads has porblems wiht some brands of oils that after sitting in the couter for a weekend the oil has suspended from the mix.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Tech Adept

Using Stefan's sources and allowing $15 for freight for the nitro/methanol and $6 for the castor/synthetic oil and using the formula to duplicate the White Lightning 20% that I run (6% Castor, 2% Synth, 20% Nitro, 72% methanol) it would cost $22.41 to mix a gallon.

This does not take into consideration any hazardous surcharge (the company I worked for was charged $20 whenever methanol was on the order) for the nitro and methanol.

A gallon of nitro will make 5 gallons of fuel @ 20% and if you buy 3 pints of castor when you buy the rest of the ingredients you'll have enough other materials to make a little over 6 gallons.

My hobby shop sells me White Lightning 20% for $26.50 a gallon. For the convenience of only having 1 gallon of fuel stored in my house (which my neighbors would surely appreciate, if they knew) and probably fresher fuel by the time I use that last gallon that I would be mixing, I believe $4 is cheap.
Probably better quality too.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:00 PM
Tech Adept

Here I pay 40 euro/5 litre for 16% Tornado.

Prices for the components:
Synth oil: P2000 €13/l, €56/5l
castor: €6,15/l , €23/5l
Nitromethane: €19,20/kg , €85/5kg
Methanol: €12/5l, €29/20l

All components are made by Jonkers: the mfr of Tornado.

When I mix 16% nitro, 3% castor and 6% synth with the methanol, then the costs will be around 50% of premix.

You can mix 1 litre at a time....or a quart...whatever you prefer.

And danger for the neighbours??
There's a car in front of the house with 50 litres of gasoline in it...or a LPG tank...there's all kind of chemicals in the kitchen: methanol, NaOH etc etc.
What can happen?
The shed where my homebrew is stored can burn down and the homebrew can accelerate the fire...but it won't put the house alit. Too far apart and made of brick.
Poisonous?? The most poisonous ingredient is methanol...the stuff that's in my kitchen...
Old 03-24-2006, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Klotz is what wildcat uses...its the best stuff out there. Wildcat makes trinity and hpi fuels. As well trinity fuels is rated #1 by rc car action for a few years running. Doesnt get any better.