Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
NTC3,MTX-4,R-40 i need help deciding which should i buy? >

NTC3,MTX-4,R-40 i need help deciding which should i buy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NTC3,MTX-4,R-40 i need help deciding which should i buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 07:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Since I have been here I've had 2 R40s and one NTC3. These two cars are awesome and you can't go wrong with either. I don't know much bout the MTX3/4 but I have heard nothing but good.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:42 PM
Jye
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by R40Victim
If you intend to race, parts support should be the deciding factor. If you have the budget and the patience for it, then just order spares of "everything" if you want the Mugen, Kyosho, or Serpant. I've seen people leave the raceday early because they couldn't get repair parts, they were not pleased, and came back next time with either a different car, or a truckload of spares.

I'm biased, having decieded to go with the R40 a couple years ago. Don't let anyone tell you it's anything but a race winning car, because it has...twice!
i agree with you, some people just dont like the r40 but one day ill get it. when i get into real racing its gonna be r40 and v one rrr and evola. what engine do you run with that r40?
Old 08-01-2005, 07:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

you got PM batjam
Old 08-01-2005, 07:59 PM
Tech Regular

Getting into setting it up for competition...

I'd recommend a Novarossi 12 (preferably NSR12 for big tracks.. RR12 for short ones), OS 12TZ (for short-medium tracks), but I'd stay away from the new Mega motors by Serpent & Picco, from what I've seen they have sealing issues and leak at the carb. The Mugen X12 is based on the Novarossi NSR series and is also a GREAT choice. For pipes, RD Logics Turbo II One-Piece is the way to go. It's relatively cheap at 50-60 dollars, and performs just like the factory Novarossi One-pieces. For servos, i'd recommend a nice high speed digital to handle steering and high speed as well for throttle. Most newer digital servos generally have enough torque, anything over 80oz/in is good for both channels.

Originally Posted by BatJam1
you guys probably see this question come up alot but i'm stuck on the decision of which one to invest my life savings into !And How would you set it up for competion,Engine,pipe,servos ect.All opinions are appreciated.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

if your new to nitro onroad. I would suggest using the NTC3 it is the easiest car to go fast in especially in parking lot type tracks. If you are planning on running on a permanent type track i would go with the mugen. Don't get me wrong the Ntc3 is also good for Permanent tracks but you will have to buy a one way unit and vice versa for the mugen since mugen comes with a one way you might have to run a diff if you run on a parking lot type track. As for the R40 theres just too much hop ups to buy to get it to a decent racing weight.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:34 AM
Tech Adept

To give you some of my nitro background i own a HPI Racer 2 which has every available HPI racing upgrade even all the Buy HPI Aluminum Hubs and stuff It was out doing the MTX-2 out there on the track at the time. people kept coming up to me to ask me if the car was a mugen or a serpent the way it was handling on the track .Even a guy who went to Japan from winning the HPI challenge Race wanted my cars set up after watching it go !All though it has been about 2 year since i raced it because ive been racing alot of Off road. the car is now antique and is ready for replacement hence my future decision!
Old 08-02-2005, 09:45 AM
Tech Adept

Get the mtx-3 or the mtx-4 if you looking for a nitro powered sedan. The craftmanship and quality of the mugen cars are awesome. Mugen seiki cars are put into extensive research and development before realeasing a car. There are always room for improvment, but most cars that mugen developes are pretty much dialed out of the box. Im sure that the other manufactures are the same, but mugen seiki in my opinion is the best when it comes to R&D, quality, service, and parts availablity. Where else can you get help on a website when " Mike Swauger " is awnsering most questions from people that need help with set-up and general questions about mugen products. That's service .
Old 08-02-2005, 10:21 AM
Jye
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Zac Project
Get the mtx-3 or the mtx-4 if you looking for a nitro powered sedan. The craftmanship and quality of the mugen cars are awesome. Mugen seiki cars are put into extensive research and development before realeasing a car. There are always room for improvment, but most cars that mugen developes are pretty much dialed out of the box. Im sure that the other manufactures are the same, but mugen seiki in my opinion is the best when it comes to R&D, quality, service, and parts availablity. Where else can you get help on a website when " Mike Swauger " is awnsering most questions from people that need help with set-up and general questions about mugen products. That's service .
he looking for a budget car, not full race car.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:44 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jye
he looking for a budget car, not full race car.

On the title of the thread, it reads ( NTC3,MTX-4,R-40 ). I thought he was deciding on these particular cars, so I gave him some insite on the mugen car to help him decide. Thats cool. Hope he finds what he's looking for. Goodluck.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

" i agree with you, some people just dont like the r40 but one day ill get it. when i get into real racing its gonna be r40 and v one rrr and evola. what engine do you run with that r40? "

I'm actually running an old HPI 12 XRS. We race on a medium sized track, and I didn't want to spend 200+ bucks on a motor for a car I wasn't sure I'd stick with(was still big into airplanes). It's been a great motor, over 3 gallons through it over the past 2 years. It's not really fast,(decent but I get left on the backstraight by the more expensive/exotic modified race motors) wich is why I'd recomend the O.S. TZ 12(the 18s guzzle too much gas). However, at our track, the race is won in the curves, so excessive power is only useful at one point. When I was running nitro all the time, I would get pretty far ahead, and they wouldn't tend to catch up with the extra speed at that one point. I'm pretty sure your track maybe completely different...
Old 08-02-2005, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BatJam1
To give you some of my nitro background i own a HPI Racer 2 which has every available HPI racing upgrade even all the Buy HPI Aluminum Hubs and stuff It was out doing the MTX-2 out there on the track at the time. people kept coming up to me to ask me if the car was a mugen or a serpent the way it was handling on the track .Even a guy who went to Japan from winning the HPI challenge Race wanted my cars set up after watching it go !All though it has been about 2 year since i raced it because ive been racing alot of Off road. the car is now antique and is ready for replacement hence my future decision!

I did the racer2 thing too. After that I went and got a serpent and raced that for a while. I got a bit miffed after it cost me almost $100 to replace parts after a crash. I saw a good deal online for 2 used R40's with lots of extra parts and grabbed it. I've been a lot happier with the HPI's. They are just a lot cheaper to keep on the track (okay, I'll admit it, I'm a really cheap SOB) and they run just a well. If you do go with the R40, you might want to get the 2004 version. Its only available overseas although fastharry has one NIB for sale. That way you get all the good parts right off the bat.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:19 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks guys i just love hearing all of your opinions. in the end it will be my pocket and funds which will decide as i'm still trying to save .Ide love to have the Mugen, but budget is looking towards either HPI or Associated !and the moter will be either a X-12 mugen or an OS .12 TV as i had the CV-R in my HPI Racer 2
Old 08-03-2005, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If you had a racer2 like so many of us have. And you liked hpi. Then get the r40 youll be more than happy.

In fact the hara edition comes out this month. I would wait on that.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:31 PM
Tech Adept

Sounds like a good idea do you know off hand what it might include !
Old 08-03-2005, 11:25 PM
Jye
Tech Regular

i believe it will contain some/most of the hopups hara used on his roar winning r40. for the list of what he had go to www.hpiracing.com click on setups i think and then r40 and then hara 2003

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.