Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

if anyone wants to try

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...8-gt-artr.html
Old 01-02-2014, 05:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrohead5300
Maybe the manufactors will look at the work GT100 and Brent Davis have done. These 2 young men have put .18 -.21 size engines in their 1/10 scale cars and set all kinds of speed records.
Hahahahahaha. He called me young.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:34 PM
Tech Regular

GT racing is more popular today than ever before. Example, at last year's Byrons race it was the class with the most entries. We've attend and raced GT all over the Americas and attendance on average is UP not down. The guys that says GT racing is dying are not attending races.

BTW The best way to control costs is with the carb restrictor and by making sure the rear tire stays skinny. A 7mm restricter (easy to tech) will only let a certain amount of air flow in. You can do whatever you want to the engine but you will reach a point that no extra power will be made. Plus the most important item is the narrow tires. Today, if you have too much power, you overheat the rears after a few minutes.

Another thing, the GT class is far cheaper to race than any other nitro class. The average race requires only 1 set of tires, fuel consumption is about the same as .12 Touring and the cars don't break when you hit something. It sounds pretty good already!
Old 01-02-2014, 06:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by desotoracing
GT racing is more popular today than ever before. Example, at last year's Byrons race it was the class with the most entries. We've attend and raced GT all over the Americas and attendance on average is UP not down. The guys that says GT racing is dying are not attending races.

BTW The best way to control costs is with the carb restrictor and by making sure the rear tire stays skinny. A 7mm restricter (easy to tech) will only let a certain amount of air flow in. You can do whatever you want to the engine but you will reach a point that no extra power will be made. Plus the most important item is the narrow tires. Today, if you have too much power, you overheat the rears after a few minutes.

Another thing, the GT class is far cheaper to race than any other nitro class. The average race requires only 1 set of tires, fuel consumption is about the same as .12 Touring and the cars don't break when you hit something. It sounds pretty good already!
well it may be in the south or in the north east but i raced the mws for 2 years in gt and the turnout for GT just sucked 3-4 as a average and it is not cheaper when you have to run against or get combined with pan due to low turn outs getting scooped by the wedge bodies or have to have a serpent or custom engineer any other chassis to think about being competitive big open tracks not a problem but when the infield is tight and nasty forget about it just try and hang on
Old 01-02-2014, 07:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

By having the restrictor size limited to 7mm only one can mod the piston/sleeve/crank/block/con rod all they want but without the large amount of the airflow needed into the carb. the engine can't reach full power potential after modifying. By having rule on carb size restriction makes teching much easier and faster too. Another way of keeping the cost down of the GT8 class is by limiting the width of the rear tires. By doing so one can have a monster horsepower engine (in an effort to cheat......) but he/she won't be able to put down all the power to the ground with the limit on the rear tire width........

I understand (in midwest mainly) some folks are trying to boost attendance of 1/8 pan class by purposely redirect others from getting into the GT8 class. I don't think that is the right approach to get more people into the onroad nitro scene. 1/8 pan class is a fun class but GT8 class is growing throughout Northamerica, Southamerica, and France. Asian countries such as Thailand, Philippeans, China, South Korea, etc are also picking up momentum in racer numbers in the GT8 class. The overall racers' feedback are very positive. One of the comments I continue to hear racers nationally and internationally is how cheap the GT8 class is in the long run due to the durability of the vehicles. By having the new ROAR engine rules the cost is going to be even lower (average 5 port engines are less than $300).

Lets work together to grow the onroad nitro classes overall. Like I say before, the 1/8 pan class is a fun class and by staying positive and help EVERY ONROAD class to grow, including the GT8 class while continue being a great ambassador for the 1/8 pan class is the key for the 1/8 pan class's success. Bashing GT8 class to other racers hoping to boost attendance in 1/8 pan class is definitely not the answer.......
Old 01-02-2014, 08:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bassman2
By having the restrictor size limited to 7mm only one can mod the piston/sleeve/crank/block/con rod all they want but without the large amount of the airflow needed into the carb. the engine can't reach full power potential after modifying. By having rule on carb size restriction makes teching much easier and faster too. Another way of keeping the cost down of the GT8 class is by limiting the width of the rear tires. By doing so one can have a monster horsepower engine (in an effort to cheat......) but he/she won't be able to put down all the power to the ground with the limit on the rear tire width........

I understand (in midwest mainly) some folks are trying to boost attendance of 1/8 pan class by purposely redirect others from getting into the GT8 class. I don't think that is the right approach to get more people into the onroad nitro scene. 1/8 pan class is a fun class but GT8 class is growing throughout Northamerica, Southamerica, and France. Asian countries such as Thailand, Philippeans, China, South Korea, etc are also picking up momentum in racer numbers in the GT8 class. The overall racers' feedback are very positive. One of the comments I continue to hear racers nationally and internationally is how cheap the GT8 class is in the long run due to the durability of the vehicles. By having the new ROAR engine rules the cost is going to be even lower (average 5 port engines are less than $300).

Lets work together to grow the onroad nitro classes overall. Like I say before, the 1/8 pan class is a fun class and by staying positive and help EVERY ONROAD class to grow, including the GT8 class while continue being a great ambassador for the 1/8 pan class is the key for the 1/8 pan class's success. Bashing GT8 class to other racers hoping to boost attendance in 1/8 pan class is definitely not the answer.......
i agree it is a heck of a class i enjoyed running in it alot and would love to see it comeback strong in the midwest i only ran a 7.5 venturi most of last season and yes in dayton it was 10 minute fuel stops
and Andy find somebody to buy my stuff so i can finish my new conversion
Old 01-05-2014, 07:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Gt100
Hahahahahaha. He called me young.
..................No disrespect intended I am 64 years old, I am a old gezzer!! If you are not 50 years old I consider you a young man. And I appreciate all the tips and help you have given me over the years with my rc cars.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Nitro rules

At our local off road track, during the electric races there are fewer spectators and most are yawning, however, when is time for the 1/8 nitro races, high reving engines firing up, everyone is at the fence watching. We do both, and there is no way any electric in the 1/8 truggy class will beat us on the straight line with our GRP 28.