Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Big Controversy SERPENT 950 1/8Nitro

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 11:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Big Controversy SERPENT 950 1/8Nitro

What's this big controversy over the serpent 950 car soon to come out and replace the Vector NT and Veteq 2002? Anyone got pics of it or shine some light on this topic? I've heard over the Hpi forum area that there's many angry serpent 1/8 owners out there.
Old 08-26-2002, 12:30 AM
Regional Moderator

Boy I am glad I did not buy that VETEQ after all. Just imagine investing $1000+ in a car that will be outdated in a few months.

The VETEQ owners are mad not so much because they don't like the fact of Serpent making a new car so soon but they don't like the fact there were not given any information about it when they asked about it. Serpent just told them its the car of the future and threw them a bone with the VETEQ 02 upgrade kit. Serpent from what I heard has actually been designing the 950 for the past 18 months. This is why the VETEQ owners are so displeased. They were fooled by all the false hype.

Almost every manufacturer lets the cat out of the bag when designing a new car. Good examples are the AE BFT and the Losi XXX-NT. Are they obligated? No. But it as you can see it does not hurt customer relations.

But then again its good to know that a manufacturer is commited to putting the best product out on the track. The R&D Serpent does is not free, it in a way actually benefits the potential consumer. Easy for me to say though I am not in the situation the VETEQ owners are in!

When the 950 does come out though, I will be getting one! OK, maybe. I will just wait 3 months for the 960 to come out and get that. Or maybe I should wait and get the 970, or 980. Has anyone heard about the 990 yet? j/k

Last edited by racer rich; 08-26-2002 at 03:22 AM.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:35 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Problem is that if Serpent had mentioned anything about the new car 18 months ago...their sales would have dropped significantly....end result...it may have taken 24 months to develop the new car instead. At the end of the day manufacturers still have to make money!!
Old 08-27-2002, 07:28 AM
Tech Regular

The Veteq and Nt are not automaticly outdated by the 950 anymore than the Vector was outdated by them. In the right hands any one of those cars will win. In the wrong hands none of them will.
As for letting any cats out of bags,no manufacturer lets out anything before they want someone to know about it to drum up interest for sales.
Old 08-27-2002, 10:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i don't think serpent owners have anything to be mad
about. serpent is not gonna stop making parts. it still
going to be expensive as always but available.
Old 08-28-2002, 12:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Vector 950

The problem always was that the Veteq took too long to work on. In a 1/8th race, you don't have all that time to repair a car as complicated as the Veteq. IMO the 99-2000 Vectors were the easiest and probably the best handling cars Serpent made. The Mugen MRX-3 is almost a direct copy of the 2000 Vector with a slight change in the steering. I know about 10 racers that dumped the Veteq for the NT, and then dumped that for the MRX-3. I sold the 99 Vector for a 2002 NT, and I love it. It's all about setup and willingness to work on it. I just choose not to spend 3 hours working on a car like the Veteq. Honestly, what more can be done to the cars that hasn't been already done? I even heard that Salven was running a Vector NT in the last race he was in, but that the body said Veteq. I don't think Serpent wants to admit that the Veteq was a goof, and that was Salven's baby, so you know that they won't knock it. Still, parts will be available for about 3 years after they stop making it, and even then, I think some of the parts for the 950 will still be interchangeable. If you still have the car 3 years later, something is wrong with that picture anyway.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

read your r/c car action October issue . It has the 950s picture on it.......serpent went back to the traditional design....no more on board laydown shocks.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:39 PM
Tech Master

Over here the Veteq 02 has been took off the market and everyone is running the NT2002. It appears that the Veteq design was allowing too much flex at the engine mounts causing very severe handling problems.
That is why Salven was seen using the NT2002 with the Veteq 02 on the body.
Serpent have made yet another flop of a car. The new 950 is an improvement on the NT2002 to bring it on terms with the Mugens and Piccos.
Old 09-04-2002, 05:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

NOT ONLY THE VETEQ AND THE NT WILL BE REPLACE BY THE 950 BUT I JUST READ AT MY TSN FORUM THAT THE IMPACT AND THE IMPULSE WILL BE REPLACE TOO WITH NEW CARS

ALASTAIR WALKER (AU) 3.9.2002 at 08:01
The 950 is the new 8th scale

The 710 I believe is the new 10th scale 235mm

The 500 is the new impulse.

From what I've heard they will be released sometime in late October. But again it's all rumour other than the 950 which has had some info and pictures released already.

I HAVE 2 IMPULSE AND I WAS THINKING OF BUYING A NT 02 BUT IM GOING TO WAIT FOR THE 950
ABOUT THE IMPULSE IT'S A GREAT CAR BUT THERES ALWAYS ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT IM GLAD THEY ARE MAKING A NEW CAR
Old 09-04-2002, 09:26 PM
Tech Master

Does mytsn have Pics of these new cars ??

I just bought the 02 specail edition Impact a few months ago, Its a fun car to drive, I would hate to see everything change after waiting soo long to finally buy one
Old 09-05-2002, 04:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally posted by HEYALIGNMENTGUY
Does mytsn have Pics of these new cars ??

I just bought the 02 specail edition Impact a few months ago, Its a fun car to drive, I would hate to see everything change after waiting soo long to finally buy one
Here is some info and pics of the 950....Totally different to the Veteq.

http://www.automodelisme.com/article.php?sid=626
Old 09-05-2002, 10:31 AM
Tech Elite

Why would Serpent design a new Impact ?
This just about the only car left for that class.....
Old 09-05-2002, 04:23 PM
Tech Master

True but not quite. Their are around 5 other manufacturers still with 235mm cars. (Neo, Team Magic, STS Racing, GS?, Picco). In the UK they are removing the class from the National listing. They are planning on dropping the 235mm to entice more people into the 200mm class.

Apparently the same is going to happen in other countries too. So be wary about buying any new cars after next year.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

The 705 will be the new Impulse but dont look for it to come out till after the new year the 950 is due out in November and they just posted an article and picks of it on www.mytsn.com today I have not heard anything about the Impact yet 235mm 4wd open is still a big class here in Texas but 235mm 2wd is slowly going away allthough we still have enough dedicated 2wd guys to run the class most are moving up to 1/8 open from what I heard Picco is dropping its 235 mm car to concentrate on the 1/8 4wd

www.kustomrc.com
Old 09-05-2002, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Default Here you can see all 3 cars:

Chicago Show

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.