Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Girlfriend/wife as pitman

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 03:13 AM
Tech Addict

Default Girlfriend/wife as pitman

Hey guys, after lots of disappointment from past pit crew issues and since I have what it takes to win the nationals my girlfriend has decided to take care of it herself.

My problem is that she is not into cars AT ALL, so from where do I start
Old 05-21-2013, 03:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Teach her how to build a kit and some basic setup information.

Develop a system for communication as it can be very noisy in pit lane.

Practice and focus on accuracy and the biomechanics of pitting...speed will come later.

Toughen her up as she may need to have sharp elbows to make room in pit lane.

Job done....my wife is a very competent pit person.

FYI I think your under estimating the difficulty of competing at national level.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by J.Gonzalez

Practice and focus on accuracy and the biomechanics of pitting...speed will come later.

FYI I think your under estimating the difficulty of competing at national level.
"national" level . if you can afford to do this, you can afford paying a professional pit crew. local racers ? get the shaft at these event's if you dont pull up in a 200,000.00 motorhome, have spent over 25,000.00 to get a "sponsor" then your pretty much a "local racer" . the day's of local kid racer "low budget" pulling a jay hasely are long gone. not trying to bust any bubbles here. just a fact
Old 05-21-2013, 05:38 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Teamgimpy72
"national" level . if you can afford to do this, you can afford paying a professional pit crew. local racers ? get the shaft at these event's if you dont pull up in a 200,000.00 motorhome, have spent over 25,000.00 to get a "sponsor" then your pretty much a "local racer" . the day's of local kid racer "low budget" pulling a jay hasely are long gone. not trying to bust any bubbles here. just a fact
This is not Nascar.... Anybody can be as fast as the next guy, I have seen Pro guys with botched pits.. They recover! I was at The Dirt Nitro challenge and I saw about 3 girlfriends / Wifes pitting in the pro class. They rocked with heavy 1/8th buggies and truggies!

So to the guys question, I agree with J.Gonzalez.
-Kit orientation
-Engine Tuning
-Pit culture (towel for knee, fuel gun, how to grab a car and make sure its across the boards)...
- And one last thing.. DO NOT EVER yell at her. You will be a lucky man to have your girlfriend/wife even the slightest bit interested in toy cars. lol
Old 05-21-2013, 05:41 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Teamgimpy72
unfortunately we do not have professional pit crew to choose from and the only possibilities are other racers which are not reliable at all. Have tried it all, the only thing that works really well is someone from the family who has an interest in this particular sport.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by speed6
unfortunately we do not have professional pit crew to choose from and the only possibilities are other racers which are not reliable at all. Have tried it all, the only thing that works really well is someone from the family who has an interest in this particular sport.
I just returned from Toledo O for the Midwest Series Race. It's a Nitro On Road series. www.midwestseries.com. I call one of the eighth scale racers Team Sweeney. His wife is his pit person. She's as good as anybody around. I don't know if she can build a kit, but she's got mad skills doing all things required in the pit. I would show her the basics, then practice in an open area away from the track. Good Luck! You're a lucky man if your wifes at all interested! my .02
Old 05-21-2013, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Hey guys, after lots of disappointment from past pit crew issues and since I have what it takes to win the nationals my girlfriend has decided to take care of it herself.

well she doesn't have to like the cars she is actually just supporting you we have a few husband wife teams the woman aren't into the cars they are just happy supporting their partner you can not rush her or yell at her must watch the stop watch and fuel do not rush the pit process is number 1 good luck my wife hates this stuff but if i needed her to pit she would just for me but i wouldnt have her tune just basic pit if i say i make 5 min. and i dont to bad for me
Old 05-21-2013, 07:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamCarnage
I just returned from Toledo O for the Midwest Series Race. It's a Nitro On Road series. www.midwestseries.com. I call one of the eighth scale racers Team Sweeney. His wife is his pit person. She's as good as anybody around. I don't know if she can build a kit, but she's got mad skills doing all things required in the pit. I would show her the basics, then practice in an open area away from the track. Good Luck! You're a lucky man if your wifes at all interested! my .02
Nick, you are so correct. When I saw the topic, the only word that came to my head is.."TEAM SWEENEY"....Mark's wife has been his pit mechanic for like what, 14-15 years..? I remembered when I started MWS like 2002 and she is already there with MARK. I told my wife about that and she told me "over her dead body..". Thats why I can't race GAS no more...LOL
Old 05-21-2013, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Solara
Nick, you are so correct. When I saw the topic, the only word that came to my head is.."TEAM SWEENEY"....Mark's wife has been his pit mechanic for like what, 14-15 years..? I remembered when I started MWS like 2002 and she is already there with MARK. I told my wife about that and she told me "over her dead body..". Thats why I can't race GAS no more...LOL
Howard, you need to find a "Track Wife" or "Partner" then! LOL Will you be going to Portage?
Old 05-21-2013, 08:19 AM
Tech Master

35 years of ROAR I've been in. 35 years never had a professional pit crew. Always been friend, family & relative.ROAR likes to see family into it. Being a Sportsman to Expert, only 5% of racer are professional, the true factory drivers. All it comes down to is how many laps you turn, Timed lap, timed average of 30-45 minute races. We're racing against the clock.

Girlfriend/wife as pit crew!! You must be happy to have both there!!! just as long as they have steel toed shoes, not flip-flops!! Love to see a Cat fight in the pits!!! lol!!!
Old 05-22-2013, 05:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

There is no need of a scientist to refill a car or to tighten/loose a screw. It is obvious that on "serious" races a good mechanic may give a plus, but just referred to some quick interventions could occur during a race. Fingers and chrono rule everywhere.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:58 AM
Tech Elite

It starts with you.

Setting your expectations low and taking everything as a bonus. We can simplify a pitman down to.. Set down, call in and refill when it all goes well. We all know it's more than that and whether male of female, if they aren't "into it", you can't ask for much. If you've done all your homework and work the pits, it can be done and let her know it's a very cruel hobby for everyone!
Old 05-22-2013, 07:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default My .02

If she gets her nails,toes an hair done then that will be a lost cause for alot racers can get an amen to that holla if you hear me.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by J.Gonzalez

Depends on what country he's in, he may not b underestimating at all! I saw a video of a nationals in like kuwait, everybody was hitting sh!+ n most were spinning out.......looked like a sportsman club race (knodding)
Old 05-22-2013, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by impalabob64
If she gets her nails,toes an hair done then that will be a lost cause for alot racers can get an amen to that holla if you hear me.
No, you are missing an opportunity, after the race get her set up at the hair salon along with the nails, to thank her for helping ........

I actuall had my wife run our RC track back in the day ..... Miss those days....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.