Wiki Posts
Search

please help newbie with fitting lrp z.15s into kyosho fw05-s

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 07:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Default please help newbie with fitting lrp z.15s into kyosho fw05-s

Gday guys,

Sorry i'm kinda new to fitting engines into nitro cars, however i've done a fair bit of research and checked manuals etc.

I have a kyosho fw05-s, when trying to fit the lrp z.15s engine with the standard flywheel I can't fasten it to the crankshaft.

Now when looking at other nitro engines there seems to be grooves or some other metal piece for the flywheel to grip the crankshaft, collet pieces that sandwich the flywheel up against the 2nd gear pilot shaft and that kind of thing.

The original fw05-s flywheel just sits on the crank shaft flimsily, you can spin the flywheel without the crank shaft spinning at all. I thought that the flywheel had been fastened, but when I went for a short drive i heard the engine revs perk up and the drivetrain of the car didn't even nudge, the flywheel had slipped.

So I guess my question is has anyone fitted the lrp z.15s to a kyosho fw05 ? what clutch/flywheel setup did you guys use ? could I just jam some washers between the flywheel i have and the engine to force it up against the second gear pilot shaft ?

Thanks for any help,
Slapnuts.

PS PLEASE SEE THE ATTATCHED PICTURE FOR CLEARER DESCRIPTION
Attached Thumbnails please help newbie with fitting lrp z.15s into kyosho fw05-s-problem.jpg  
Old 05-12-2005, 08:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The Collet (most of the time is GOLD in color) is the one that is the CONNECTION pieces between the flywheel and the crankshaft........go to your LHS and have them to find you 1 that will fit.......it is not 1 size fits all, but there are enough aftermarket collet out there, one of those will fit for sure............

Once you find the right collet, the hex nut (the one called 2 gear pilot shaft from your picture) is the nuts that will LOCK the flywheel onto the collet and onto the shaft. tighten that nut really tight...or have your LHS do it for you.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:40 PM
Tech Regular

The FW-05s doesn't use/need a collet with the stock flywheel engine arangement. The flywheel will not accept a collet. Probably the cheapest way to do it would be to get a flywheel for an FW-05T. The one I have comes with a collet and washer. You should be able to use the rest of your clutch components with this.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:13 PM
Tech Rookie

The FW-05s doesn't use/need a collet with the stock flywheel engine arangement. The flywheel will not accept a collet. Probably the cheapest way to do it would be to get a flywheel for an FW-05T. The one I have comes with a collet and washer. You should be able to use the rest of your clutch components with this.
Thanks for the information guys, I have looked up the fw05t flywheel set vs057 and am going to order it. From the pictures i've seen it should be the go, if not, well, I tried.

The LHStores here in Newcastle Nsw Australia didn't have much to offer in the flywheel range apart from 3 pin setups, but then I have to change the clutch etc.

The vs057 (current fw05t flywheel setup) was actually an option for the fw05-s when running an sg shaft type engine, looks to me that I should of got this from the start

Thanks heaps,
Slapnuts.

PS just another noobie question, what's the difference between a pullstart flywheel and a non-pullstart one ?