2013 Great Lakes Challenge - Toledo, Ohio Aug 21-25th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Great Lakes Challenge - Toledo, Ohio Aug 21-25th

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 05:41 PM
Tech Regular

Yes, I have been updating the One Eighth Racers page on Facebook once I uploaded the results.

Here is this years results from the 2013 GLC including all qualifiers and mains.

Thanks to all that attended. Hope everyone had a great time and save travels back home..... Till next year.

http://www.jlaprm.com/cgi-bin/JLapVi...p?where=Toledo
Old 08-25-2013, 05:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Like I said fb
http://www.jlaprm.com/PC/Toledo/08_2...08th%204WD.HTM
Old 08-26-2013, 06:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Thanks to the Toledo One Eighth Racers / GLC

I must take the time to thanks all the members of the Toledo One Eighth Racers for their tireless efforts in keeping the GLC the one race you must have on your calendar. From Jon Strausbaug the race director to Brian Berry who donated his weekend to run the races and announce, down to the crew that kept the trash cans clean, and to Ted Hammer who is every where, you all combine make the pilgrimage to northern Ohio worth every minute. Thanks to Mike Myers for chronicling the weeks event on film and print.

It was good to see so many old friend and I'm sure I'll return (with a starter box next time).
Old 08-26-2013, 06:56 AM
Tech Addict

I've been giving Brian the information on photos and videos so he can post it on facebook. I don't use facebook, so I have no idea what's there.

My photos are being posted to www.m.smugmug.com

.....and Sunday's photos won't be posted until I get home tonight.

My videos can be found here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/startinggridmagazine

Race results are posted on the JLapRaceManager website - Brian has posted the link to the GLC results on facebook.

One of the nice things about SmugMug, is if you see a photo of something you particularly like, you can order prints, or coffee cups with the photo, or shirts, or whatever. I haven't tried this yet, but it should be all set up.

For anyone interested in technical details on photos, all the action shots were taken with a Nikon DSLR with a telephoto lens. All the rest of the shots were taken with a Fuji X100s. The early videos were taken with an HTC One mobile phone, and the later videos with the Fuji camera in video mode.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:03 AM
Tech Addict

Regarding Jon Strausbaug, I watched the following through my viewfinder. A car crashed at the very right side of the track, and a marshal started walking towards it. Jon rushed by, saying "I got it", and beat the marshal, sorted out the car, and headed back, stopping to marshal a second car that crashed right in front of him - and then he rushed across the track to the other side, near the start/finish line, to marshal a third car that got hung up. I've got photos of all these, and if you check the times, they were all only seconds apart!!

Oh, and one more thing to add - Happy Birthday to Lou Przybyla, who will be 76 tomorrow! We embarrassed him nicely with a birthday treat at the after race dinner at Applebee's!

.....and a last, last thing.... Of all the r/c races I've ever gone to, or still go to, the GLC is the one that seems to always be at the top of the list. It's the one race where everyone just has a good time, hangs out with other racers, and where everyone can just enjoy having fun at their sport/hobby/whatever. There's a great bunch of guys who make this possible, and en equally great bunch of people who show up - it all comes together so nicely, and when the weather also cooperates as it did this year - fantastic!!
Old 08-26-2013, 07:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rpoage
I must take the time to thanks all the members of the Toledo One Eighth Racers for their tireless efforts in keeping the GLC the one race you must have on your calendar. From Jon Strausbaug the race director to Brian Berry who donated his weekend to run the races and announce, down to the crew that kept the trash cans clean, and to Ted Hammer who is every where, you all combine make the pilgrimage to northern Ohio worth every minute. Thanks to Mike Myers for chronicling the weeks event on film and print.

It was good to see so many old friend and I'm sure I'll return (with a starter box next time).
Well said Robert and Mike -
As I am writing this Ted and his wife Sherry, Marvin and maybe others are at the track again cleaning up and packing stuff away there is a lot of effort by many to put on this race and it is APRECIATED!!!

Great to see you back wheeling an 1/8 scale Robert
Old 08-26-2013, 07:51 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mikemyers
Regarding Jon Strausbaug, I watched the following through my viewfinder. A car crashed at the very right side of the track, and a marshal started walking towards it. Jon rushed by, saying "I got it", and beat the marshal, sorted out the car, and headed back, stopping to marshal a second car that crashed right in front of him - and then he rushed across the track to the other side, near the start/finish line, to marshal a third car that got hung up. I've got photos of all these, and if you check the times, they were all only seconds apart!!

Oh, and one more thing to add - Happy Birthday to Lou Przybyla, who will be 76 tomorrow! We embarrassed him nicely with a birthday treat at the after race dinner at Applebee's!

.....and a last, last thing.... Of all the r/c races I've ever gone to, or still go to, the GLC is the one that seems to always be at the top of the list. It's the one race where everyone just has a good time, hangs out with other racers, and where everyone can just enjoy having fun at their sport/hobby/whatever. There's a great bunch of guys who make this possible, and en equally great bunch of people who show up - it all comes together so nicely, and when the weather also cooperates as it did this year - fantastic!!
Jon's The MAN!!!

Hope I can still do this at 76!!! Happy birthday Lou
Old 08-26-2013, 08:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

As I sit here back at work after wishing I was still at the track I wanted to thank everyone for all of the hard work that was put in for another GLC!

I also wanted to thank David for being my pit "guy", Rick Davis for all of the help and letting me try out some cool stuff this year, Lee and Greg for the entertainment, and Joaquin Sr. for the ideas for the GT.

It was also great to meet new GT racers and have discussions about chassis and engine set-ups and the class.

Scott
Old 08-26-2013, 10:01 AM
Tech Regular

Also need to say sorry again to John Adams for our incident in the main, felt bad about that. Also hope I did not hurt your foot -Ralph Burch LOL

Last edited by bmclean; 08-26-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:08 PM
Tech Addict

Photos are all downloaded - hope to have them posted by the end of the day tomorrow.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by bmclean
Also need to say sorry again to John Adams for our incident in the main, felt bad about that. Also hope I did not hurt your foot -Ralph Burch LOL
Bill, this is John Adams. No worries about the crash. We both have been doing this along time and as you know "stuff happens" when your racing. Interestingly the battery became unplugged during the crash causing the runaway. Just bad luck! I always enjoy racing with you Bill and look forward to the next race.
The Toledo club does a great job as the GLC is one of the best races in the country. Thanks to everyone as this was one of the most fun races ever.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:13 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by adams
Bill, this is John Adams. No worries about the crash. We both have been doing this along time and as you know "stuff happens" when your racing. Interestingly the battery became unplugged during the crash causing the runaway. Just bad luck! I always enjoy racing with you Bill and look forward to the next race.
The Toledo club does a great job as the GLC is one of the best races in the country. Thanks to everyone as this was one of the most fun races ever.
Thanks John
The thing was I was not thinking of even trying to pass - then it was like WTF just happened.

Your a great Guy John thanks for doing all the volunteering marshaling for other drivers - it really helped those drivers and Brian.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bmclean

Your a great Guy John thanks for doing all the volunteering marshaling for other drivers - it really helped those drivers and Brian.
++1! John- Thanks for all your help this weekend. Your pit work/guidance was a great help! I should have been more focused between the C and B mains..I thought I had an extra 1/2 hr.! ooops.
I go to the GLC to test myself against N. Americas best. It's a humbling experience. But, it's so much fun. Thanks to the Eighth Scale Racers for doing such a great job! Hope to see you guys in Dayton for the last MWS race.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Cool

Nice run NYRCC guys, Mike Cruz, Richie Torres, etc....
Old 08-27-2013, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Another great GLC in the books. My best qualifying effort yet. Finally did well in the raffle. Probably the best weather in years. Overall a great event once again.

Thanks again to Joby (and to Mike) for the pitwork. Hopefully I will be back again next year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.