R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Shaft gearing chipped and worn teeth (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/67985-shaft-gearing-chipped-worn-teeth.html)

dct147 04-02-2005 02:42 PM

Shaft gearing chipped and worn teeth

Hi all,

Just took my car for a spin ( at a very bad location) in a carpark full of pebbles and stones.

Now, my car is not ever 2 weeks old, the teeth on my shaft are chipped and worn down. was wondering, under what circumstances ony will u guys change them? is it necessary to change them now? tried to take pics of it to show u guys, but doesn`t come out clear.

Help pls..

Thanks!

Cheers!!

AndyT © 04-02-2005 04:56 PM

If the drivetrain is starting to bind and not turning over freely, thats when i`d be looking at replacing gears.

rcabj 04-02-2005 07:27 PM

hi..its better not to run your car on dirty surfaces....;)

Speedypeterb 04-02-2005 07:58 PM

chips in gears

if you have one or two chips at different places around your gear it should be ok, but if two or three in a row are wore down it would be better to change the plastic ones so the alluminum ones aren't affected. plastic is cheaper always make sure you keep the gears as close as possible while still spinning them freely (no binding)

dct147 04-03-2005 05:11 AM

Thanks all for your help.

The teeth are all worn down cause of previous run. Gears were too loosely positioned thus, the aluminum ones kinda flattened all the plastic ones already ( still able to run. just a little flattened). shoot me!!!!!

Now, I would say 70% of the plastic teeth has holes in them in the middle and some at the side. The chipped ones, about 2 or 3 all in different places.

How does that sound? should i change yet?

also, 1 more question, when i reverse my car manually, the gears move together, should i hear any sound? cause i`m hearing alittle. have seem my friend`s move totally silently. I`m using a Kyosho FW05T.

Sorry AndyT. what`s a drivetrain?

Cheers!!

Speedypeterb 04-03-2005 08:29 AM

your drivetrain is basically all the shafts and gears and cluth that make a car go. sometimes you have a bad bearing or your pulley is press against it to tight. and also sometimes your brakes might bind. so when your car does not roll freely you have to isolate the problem and fix it. Now yours is definetely the gears. So if you are just bashing around the parking lot and your gears are shot already but your car still goes then keep using them. If you plan on racing you always want those gears to be in good condition.

dct147 04-03-2005 10:41 AM

That really helped my problem.

Thanks alot.

I`m just bashing around for now, but i will be racing once i`m primed and getting my pockets more filled up.:D

Thanks all u guys!!

Cheers!

Speedypeterb 04-03-2005 02:15 PM

your welcome, remember to save a little extra for spare parts and always do a quick check over of all the screws and nuts before each race. sometimes you will save some cash by talking a little extra time to check out the car. good luck Peter

AndyT © 04-03-2005 04:05 PM

Originally posted by Speedypeterb
, remember to save a little extra for spare parts Peter
Once you start racing its very handy to have a couple of spare spur gears (the plastic ones) and some pinion gears (the aluminium ones on the clutch bell) in your tool box.....these are quite vulnerable to getting damaged by pebbles etc.
Cheers

dct147 04-03-2005 09:35 PM

Noted.

Thanks again Guys!

Cheers!!

dct147 04-05-2005 09:34 AM

Hi guys, another slight problem i`ve encountered.

As i`m running the FW05T, when i manually reverse the car, the gears rub each other, move and make some noise.

Today i saw a friend`s same model car, was silent when i moved it backwards (that`s probably cause his teeth arn`t worn out like mine). but when i manually moved the car forward, the gears actually moved too. My gears only move when i move backwards doesn`t move when i push it forward. I`ve tried to tighten it, loosen it, same effect. if there anything wrong with my car?

Thanks for your help once again.

Cheers!