Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro rs4-3 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 10:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Nitro rs4-3 rebuild

Sup guys, it's great to finally be back in the scene and back on the forums (a new forum for me)! Really excited for this! I've been out of the rc scene for quite some time now. Music in high school pretty much took over my life, and I didn't exactly have my own income to support my hobby, so I gave it up. It's funny, despite the size of xmods and mini-z's, I still found myself spending ridiculous amounts of money for those damn things, lol.

I'm in college now, and also fortunately have a means for income. Don't really know what sparked the fire again, but it all seriously happened this month haha. Just decided one night that I was going to finally rebuild this RS4-3 chassis that I had lying around for years. There I found myself ordering a new engine, clutch, and flywheel.

I got a hold of this car from my cousin, whom I traded a new copy of Halo 2 for (like I said, I've had this thing for YEARS. Halo 2 came out in '04!!) I think he just wanted to get rid of it, and he was going to be sending the game to his son who was overseas at the time. Anyways, got the rs4 and it was in pretty terrible condition. It was third-hand by the time it got to me, and it was clear that my cousin and whoever he got it from didn't know much about maintenance. I know nitro rc is messy, but this thing was out of hand, lol. Took the whole chassis apart and cleaned every single inch of it, and that's pretty much where it ended. I didn't really have the money to buy a new engine and such, and I simply just didn't have the patience to do my homework on nitro rc.

As I said earlier though, the fire just ignited out of nowhere and I've done my homework, haha. I've been reading a lot on this forum and others, and I'm absolutely ready to run this car already! Just waiting on a few more things to come in from the lhs.

My plan was to spend a little at a time until I had all the parts I need to get this baby running again. BUT... I definitely did the opposite and ended up splurging all at once

I've attached some pictures and I'll have more once I have ALL the parts in. Right now I'm just waiting for my lhs to receive an exhaust gasket set and a diff housing set (screws for both diffs are nearly stripped). They have been on backorder for about a week and a half now. hurry up hpi!

I'm completely baffled by the size of the futaba receiver, lol! As you can see, no more than about 4 inches of antenna sticks out of the radio tray, but from what I've read, Futaba doesn't have much of a problem with range? So I'm assuming it shouldn't be a problem, lol.

Just some of the more major pieces I bought for my rs4
  • Futaba 3PL 2.4ghz with 2004GF receiver
  • Futaba S3004 servos
  • HPI T-15 Engine
  • HPI racing clutch
  • HPI fiberglass brake disc
  • RD Logics tuned pipe
  • OFNA micro fail safe
  • Sullivan fuel filter
  • vxb bearings

k, this essay is done
Attached Thumbnails Nitro rs4-3 rebuild-2012-04-25-21.27.44_resized.jpg   Nitro rs4-3 rebuild-2012-04-25-21.25.04_resized.jpg   Nitro rs4-3 rebuild-2012-04-23-23.13.53_resized.jpg   Nitro rs4-3 rebuild-2012-04-23-23.15.25_resized.jpg  
Old 04-26-2012, 08:30 AM
Tech Initiate

good job buddy. i JUST bought a hpi rs4 3 evo+ about a month ago also. already started upgrading it with some hop ups. hopefully you will have that thing running in no time. just make sure you take your time with the break in process as you have a brand new engine. good luck and have fun!
Old 04-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Tech Addict

Smile

Yeah, don't neglect the school thing....

TACTIC 2.4 doesn't have a 'pokey out' antennae at all, that took some getting used to.

Nitro season is upon us!
Old 04-26-2012, 11:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by donnie707
good job buddy. i JUST bought a hpi rs4 3 evo+ about a month ago also. already started upgrading it with some hop ups. hopefully you will have that thing running in no time. just make sure you take your time with the break in process as you have a brand new engine. good luck and have fun!
What hop-ups have you gotten so far?

Once I start getting used to this car, I'm definitely going to invest in a variety of springs. Those aluminum threaded shocks seem like a worthwhile purchase too, .

Originally Posted by scary_jerry
Yeah, don't neglect the school thing....

TACTIC 2.4 doesn't have a 'pokey out' antennae at all, that took some getting used to.

Nitro season is upon us!
Yeah, the short antenna definitely makes me feel uncomfortable, lol. I'm so used to seeing that old 27mHz AM receiver with the 100' foot long antenna wire
Old 04-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Tech Initiate

lol thats exactly what i got. the aluminum threaded shocks. it is a night and day difference with those on. the handling is much more crisp and precise. just have graphite shock towers and sf 20 steering servo. looking to get everything graphite and some aluminum stuff just in case i crash.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nice man! I got back into it this year also after neglecting my RS4 too and I have 3... it sure is addictive.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Silo
Nice man! I got back into it this year also after neglecting my RS4 too and I have 3... it sure is addictive.
Lol, I think addiction is in an understatement for anyone into rc cars. Care to share your rs4s set up?

Still waiting on the exhaust gasket and diff housing if by Friday they still show up as back order at the lhs, I'm just going to cancel my order and get them online. I guess that what happens when you try to rebuild a dated chassis? Lol. That and trying to rebuild a chassis not widely supported at the shop. Electric offroad is definitely what's hot over here.

Sorry for the meaningless posts y'all. Pics and vids of this baby running are surely to come soon!
Old 05-02-2012, 05:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Just wanted to join in here. I have an RS4 also. You say dated chassis... they still make them, and parts should be easy to get. I will post up pics of mine when I get a chance.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:45 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Limeaway
Lol, I think addiction is in an understatement for anyone into rc cars. Care to share your rs4s set up?

Still waiting on the exhaust gasket and diff housing if by Friday they still show up as back order at the lhs, I'm just going to cancel my order and get them online. I guess that what happens when you try to rebuild a dated chassis? Lol. That and trying to rebuild a chassis not widely supported at the shop. Electric offroad is definitely what's hot over here.

Sorry for the meaningless posts y'all. Pics and vids of this baby running are surely to come soon!
I bought the new 3.0 and 2speed that the EVO+ comes with and hpi tuned pipe. IDK what gastank i have because i got it years ago. I also swapped to adjustable camber rods.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Default rs4 3 evo was my 1st nitro car in 2005 or so...

hello,
this is cool! the rs4 3 evo was my 1st nitro rc car back in 2005 i believe(or around there anyway). I have a epic .18 on mine that's never been run ever. i just ended up getting into off-road because i never wanted to run the car and ruin it. i have really no place to run a on-road car like this. i was thinking maybe a tennis courts?? anyone ever throw larger shocks or wheels on there's to run on the block without worries of flipping over a pebble or something? lol
Old 05-04-2012, 02:53 AM
Tech Initiate

i try to run my car only on flat surfaces....but its hard to find a nice clean flat surface. so i flipped my evo3 a couple times already lol. this thing is built like a tank! one time it rolled over and bounced a bunch of times without the body on and didnt even have a scratch! a testiment to the engineering that went into this rc car. but yea, you gotta becareful with pebbles and stuff. onroad cars have super low ground clearance.

there is a track close by where i live(norcal hobbies) that ive been wanting to run my car at. i think thats the best place if you want to run your onroad cars.......the tracks.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:12 AM
Suspended

Let me know what parts you need i have multiplees an triples of almost three rs4 evos an two or three rs4 2s. I have seceral brand new diff housings for the evo not all but most are nip. Unused conditon
Old 05-04-2012, 04:16 AM
Suspended

Mide as well get an hpi mt2 its the sane aee but baas the bigger shocks an tires
Old 05-04-2012, 11:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Default exactley Donnie!

thats why i never got a chance to run mine lol. they look so awesome like real touring cars that i love the concept and look of on-road RC but i have no flat, clean surface to run them. i fear a blade of grass will flip my baby

well to the OP keep us posted on your build and maiden run pls !

Good Luck!! will be super fun!
Old 05-05-2012, 11:07 PM
Tech Rookie

As promised. Here is my rs4. someday this engine will quit running, and I will replace it with something new.
Attached Thumbnails Nitro rs4-3 rebuild-img_1859.jpg   Nitro rs4-3 rebuild-img_1858.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.