Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree99Likes

Serpent Cobra GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 09:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yes, the diff comes out, but no need to actually open the diff itself. Just pull the diff out, making note of which way the diff is when you take it out. Would be easy to put it in backwards and then you have to take it back out, usually after you get it all back together.

Anyways, one the diff is out, pull the 3 Phillips screws out and the whole assembly, drive shaft and all comes out the same way the diff came out. During this time, at someone the pinion will probably come off, especially if it was loose. Then do as rcmikel described.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rockin G
Yes, the diff comes out, but no need to actually open the diff itself. Just pull the diff out, making note of which way the diff is when you take it out. Would be easy to put it in backwards and then you have to take it back out, usually after you get it all back together.

Anyways, one the diff is out, pull the 3 Phillips screws out and the whole assembly, drive shaft and all comes out the same way the diff came out. During this time, at someone the pinion will probably come off, especially if it was loose. Then do as rcmikel described.
yep, that set screw was loose. and i wasnt 1000% sure to make note of how i removed the diff. im gonna double check the manual for that. gotta go see if wal mart carries loc tite. lol. i need this thing running by sunday morning..
Old 06-20-2014, 10:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

had no cleaner, so im soaking the screw and (what it screws into) in alcohol until i get back from wal mart..
Old 06-21-2014, 12:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

3:30 a.m. problem solved, car fully reassembled. thank you everyone who helped! now i can sleep in peace tonight

cant wait to continue break-in. with all wheel drive again.. lets hope it doesnt rain all day tomorrrow.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:48 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Zakariah
3:30 a.m. problem solved, car fully reassembled. thank you everyone who helped! now i can sleep in peace tonight

cant wait to continue break-in. with all wheel drive again.. lets hope it doesnt rain all day tomorrrow.
Lol you got what we call the Rattle Snake Id go through and loctite all of your set screws on the center drive train or this will just keep happening.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:37 PM
Tech Adept

When you use red loctite make sure to let it set for 24 hrs for best result. Also when you need to remove the set screw just heat it up with hair dryer or heat gun then the set screw will unlock. Good luck and have fun!!!
Old 06-21-2014, 06:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TerribleTy
Lol you got what we call the Rattle Snake Id go through and loctite all of your set screws on the center drive train or this will just keep happening.
Isn't that 'curious' the way that happened..........I put my Cobra GT on the shelf because of all the 'developmental problems'..........to include the 'mysterious' metal filings near front and rear diffs. caused by the 'dooooofffuss' screws to secure the bearings.

Serpent's self-appointed 'cheer-boy' should be ashamed................
Old 06-21-2014, 06:40 PM
Tech Addict

And ANDY..............don't even bother..............you walked away from me as pitman at TZGP to help the 'pissant'...................your fate is sealed..............
Old 06-21-2014, 07:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Don't forget me Jerry, you left me out.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:33 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Aught-Six
Don't forget me Jerry, you left me out.
No............Marv 'target picture' includes you. It's the least I can do for the 'pair' who 'pushed out' the person that built the 'Utah track system' for Gus and then 'Trashed Jerry'.............
Old 06-21-2014, 07:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

this car is a handling machine.. set up a road course in a big smooth parking lot today, i'm sure it wont be long till i rip through these stock tires. i'll loctite all the set screws on the next rainy day (looking like monday) thanks for the help.

also.. had a wheel come off today. recovered the nut luckily. no locknuts for the wheels?? all the bolts are loose from the factory so i just went over everything and made sure all is tight now. racing at the LHS tomorrow, cant wait to see how this thing ranks up with the other GT cars.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:55 PM
Tech Addict

this car is a handling machine.. set up a road course in a big smooth parking lot today, i'm sure it wont be long till i rip through these stock tires. i'll loctite all the set screws on the next rainy day (looking like monday) thanks for the help.

also.. had a wheel come off today. recovered the nut luckily. no locknuts for the wheels?? all the bolts are loose from the factory so i just went over everything and made sure all is tight now. racing at the LHS tomorrow, cant wait to see how this thing ranks up with the other GT cars.
Yes, tighten the wheel retainer screws. I was a 'GOOD GUY' one day and did a 'McGyver' thing and 'fabricated' a replacement axle lock pin for 'TY JACOBS' in Utah at the 'Magna track' on his first outing with his new 'Serpent Cobra GT' and kept him from having to go home without getting to play with his new car.........................don't 'EVER' do a 'FAVOR' for him................he turned around and with the request from 'MantisWorx'...........slammmed me as a 'KNOW-NOTHING' in the GT world.....................time for 'full-disclosure'.............There ARE witnesses to the 'RCTech.....PM's'...........!!!!..........
Old 06-21-2014, 08:01 PM
Tech Addict

"Z"............I'm not sponsored by any tire company..........if you want to do some 'tire-grinding' in a parking lot for 'tune-ups' etc. the GRP tires from Bruckner Hobbies will do just fine at a lower price than the 'Sweep' I DO Recommend for your race outings.........!
Old 06-21-2014, 08:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Sorry your posts have become part of Jerry's rant. He's a local racer that thinks he has been wronged by just about every racer in Utah. So he sits at home and about once a month comes out and tries to convince people we are evil GT guys in Utah. Glad you like the car. They are a blast to drive and there are alot of great guys in GT that know a lot about the car, and that includes Ty and Andy. Great guys with lots of passion for the GT.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Loose drive line grub screws is not unique to Serpent, I've had issues with the OFNA DM1 and X3. Do what Andy said and you will be good. Tires for playing with when the kit tires are done, you might look at VP Pro tires, good grip and will last, plus cost is good. When you are ready to race, then look at Sweep.

Get the serated wheel nuts, loose wheels will not be an issue.

Glad your having fun with the GT car!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.