Search

Team C 1/8 GT car

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 07:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by THE FRIDGE
Hi Joe
I have been running the standard shims that come with car one on the left and one on the right felt the best. The gearing is 16/20 pinion and 45/41 spur with the straight cut gear in the diff's. Engine Nova Roma .25 with a buku clutch. 300k oil front diff and 50k oil rear. I use a high temp lithium based grease on the ring and pinion. The car Rolls pretty free so I don't thing any thing is binding. This last time the diff case went the inside bearing collapse after two tanks and they where new bearings.
Cheers
Clinton
Hi! Ok. So you are running the optional 43/13 straight cut ring/pinion with the stock 16/20 clutchbell pinions and 45/41 spurs if I am not mistaken.
If that is the case your car is over geared which is causing too much stress on the transmission combined with overheating of your engine. I think that is the reason why your bulkhead is melting. About the shims you are right, I run one on each side too. With the straight cut gears that'swhat feels the best.
With the 43/13 pinion/ring, the only way to reach the good ratio is to use the gearing conversion. You could use a 14/18 pinions on the clutchbell but you would need to enlarge the engine mount holes on the chassis to be abe to bring the engine close enough to reach a good gearmesh. And you would have to remove the rear disk brake because the flywheel would rub against it. I had tried that and it didn't work very well...

Last edited by Joe Kimble; 02-12-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:53 PM
Tech Master

Hi guys,

I am selling all my GT8 stuff. Let me know if you have any questions...

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...-gt8-sale.html

Thanks
Old 02-19-2015, 03:44 AM
Tech Adept

Hi guys, In reference to Fridge's comment on our car setups we are running Foam tyres in Australia and they are smaller and much lighter then the rubber tyres, this would be better as their is less rotating mass and improved roll out. Please advise where we can purchase the 14/18 pinions ?
Old 02-19-2015, 01:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rptech1
Hi guys, In reference to Fridge's comment on our car setups we are running Foam tyres in Australia and they are smaller and much lighter then the rubber tyres, this would be better as their is less rotating mass and improved roll out. Please advise where we can purchase the 14/18 pinions ?
Hi!
The Fridge told me that the tires you are using are 100mm. The Sweep rubber tires are 98mm which is smaller. In any case it's pretty close so you should be running a gearing that is close to what is the optimum for us too, even if your wheels are lighter because the overall weight of the car is probably very close still (my car is 3500g with body attached and empty tank).

About the OFNA 14/18 pinions (you will need to use the OFNA clutchbell), yes you can reach the best ratios using those combined with 45/41 spurs and 43/13 straight cut pinion ring. But you will have to do 2 things:
- Dremel the engine mount hole on the chassis to be able to bring the engine closer to center of car to get good gear mesh
- Take the rear disk brake off, otherwise it will rub against flywheel.

This is why there is an RcShox gearing conversion set, which solves the problem simply by raising the center transmission mount, moving the throttle servo a few mm towards the outside of the car, and using bigger spurs such 54/49 for example...

Last edited by Joe Kimble; 02-19-2015 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:47 AM
Tech Adept

Hi what setup do you guys use for the RcShox short shock tower on the rear
- Shock rod - Front or rear
- Spring front or rear
Old 02-24-2015, 05:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

- Spring front or rear
You use the front shocks all the way around. And front springs

With the GT spec pistons you run 1500 all the way around with a stiffer spring. When I ran the car i used team c ultra hard rears and hard fronts.

The rear tower holes are out further than the kit tower, the inside hole is actually the middle hole on the kit tower. Like joe I ran the rear all the way out but I ran the front in the middle.

I have a bunch of spare parts for cheap if anyone is interested!

Last edited by MantisWorx; 02-24-2015 at 06:11 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:02 AM
Tech Master

- Spring front or rear
Hi,
I don't run the car anymore. But when I did, this is the shock setup I would often use:
- Rcshox shock towers combined with short shocks all around
- Serpent white springs all around with rcshox dual stage pistons (the off road ones, I didn't like the GT ones too much)
- 1000cst shock oil all around
- front shocks layed down
- rear shocks stood up
Old 02-24-2015, 06:19 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
You use the front shocks all the way around. And front springs

With the GT spec pistons you run 1500 all the way around with a stiffer spring. When I ran the car i used team c ultra hard rears and hard fronts.

The rear tower holes are out further than the kit tower, the inside hole is actually the middle hole on the kit tower. Like joe I ran the rear all the way out but I ran the front in the middle.

I have a bunch of spare parts for cheap if anyone is interested!
Hi Marcus,
Have you a picture of the shocks on the rear, did you use the front shock rods as well?
Old 02-24-2015, 06:22 AM
Tech Adept

Hi Marcus,
Have you a picture of the shocks on the rear, did you use the front shock rods as well?
Old 02-24-2015, 06:22 AM
Tech Champion

Hi Marcus,
No pics anymore.
You use complete front shocks all the way around
Old 02-25-2015, 02:18 AM
JSA
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi, We have the problems on stripping out the plastic 2 speed gear.....please help

we have change the center mount to aluminium and put 1 shim at the back of the 2nd speed gear......its happen to strip the plastic spur gear.....the pinion and spur is standard team c gears on the GT8L car......what could went wrong!!!

help......help....help
Old 02-25-2015, 02:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JSA
Hi, We have the problems on stripping out the plastic 2 speed gear.....please help

we have change the center mount to aluminium and put 1 shim at the back of the 2nd speed gear......its happen to strip the plastic spur gear.....the pinion and spur is standard team c gears on the GT8L car......what could went wrong!!!

help......help....help
Why the shim? And what gear setup you running
Old 02-25-2015, 05:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JSA

help......help....help
Hi,
There could be several reasons for stripping spur gears prematurely, for example:
- Bad gear mesh
- Bad alignment
- Shimming too tight behind second gear
- Pinion on clutch bell too old (if it looks sharp like a knife, the pinion needs to be replaced)

ALso, RcShox makes Delrin spurs that last much longer than the stock spurs... You could try them
Old 02-25-2015, 06:29 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JSA

help......help....help
more than likely its your pinions. Like joe said if they start to wear out they eat the spur gears.

I no longer make the delrin spur gears unfortunately.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Ive got one of these which I converted to electric and got up to 112mph just for fun. Now I am looking at converting it back to nitro as I am moving to Chicagoland and Leisure Hours Raceway is near bye. I have all the parts and many nitro motors and equipment. My question is, is this chassis legal to race? It seems I remember some debate about non kick-up chassis' being "outlawed"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.