Wiki Posts
Search

Kyosho GT1 & GT2...differences?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 145 (100%+)
Default Kyosho GT1 & GT2...differences?

Hey guys, my dad just bought a gt1 and was wandering what the differences were in the gt1 and the gt2? And is the gt1 upgradable to the gt2 with the new parts? Thanks for the help!
Kyle
Old 03-09-2011, 11:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brothainchrist0
Hey guys, my dad just bought a gt1 and was wandering what the differences were in the gt1 and the gt2? And is the gt1 upgradable to the gt2 with the new parts? Thanks for the help!
Kyle
The GT1 can be upgraded to a GT2 by switching chassis and 1 center drive shaft. The difference between the 2 cars is the wheelbase with the GT2 being longer. The engines and engine mounts are different too.

Lee
Old 03-12-2011, 10:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 57 (98%+)

There are a few more parts that are a little different that I can think of off the top of my head. The fuel tank is a little larger on the gt2, 2spd gears, chassis brace is longer, Dual disc brakes, adjustable turnbuckles, and blue anodized shock caps and rings.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by INFERNOZ GTZ
There are a few more parts that are a little different that I can think of off the top of my head. The fuel tank is a little larger on the gt2, 2spd gears, chassis brace is longer, Dual disc brakes, adjustable turnbuckles, and blue anodized shock caps and rings.

That's not too bad than. as far as i know the car we bought has the dual disk brakes already...and u are saying that gt1 is only a single speed transmission?
Old 03-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Tech Regular

No, they both have 2spd trans. but I meant the 2spd gears and pinion gears are different.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Tech Elite

Oh, i gotcha...well i guess i'll just have to sit down with the manuals and see what all is needed. i think we decided that we arent gonig to the chassis upgrade till the car needs a new body cause if we lengthened the wheel base than the new body would be needed. But i'll have to look into all those other parts as well
Old 03-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Tech Regular

Yes, you will need to get a new body. I forgot about that and they are not cheap. lol... I like the GT1 bodies. Thats why I still run my gt1. What body do you have? I love this car you just can't beat the looks of it.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by INFERNOZ GTZ
Yes, you will need to get a new body. I forgot about that and they are not cheap. lol... I like the GT1 bodies. Thats why I still run my gt1. What body do you have? I love this car you just can't beat the looks of it.
the gt1 has the blue subaru body adn the red ferrari body. They are both in awesome shape...that's why we dont want to do the conversion yet. Converting to the gt2 will give it a longer wheel base making it better at handling correct? that's it?
Old 03-12-2011, 11:36 AM
Tech Regular

Yes, a little longer wheelbase. The GT1 handles fine for me. I would just change your tires if you havent done that already. You could change the tank if you want a little longer run time. And if you strip the 2spd gears which happened to me often change it to the newer version, plastic is different. I was going to try the steel gears next if I strip the plastic gears again. Yeah, I like the Red Ferrari body. They don't make a Ferrari for the GT2 thats why I still drive my gt1. lol...
Old 03-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Wheelbase on the IGT1 is standard buggy wheelbase, approx. 325mm and the IGT2 switched to the longer truggy wheelbase chassis, approx. 360mm. So that's a good 35mm longer.

As was said, definitely get some new tires, belted slicks or radials. From reading the 1/8 GT thread Sweep seem to be very popular, along with Ipanema and GRP.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Awesome! Thank u very much for the help. I'll definitely keep all of this in mind. This car that we are talking about is my dads car...i am racing a mugen mtx4r this season. And i'm in Afghanistan right now so i'll see if we cant get some better picturse of it when i come home and show u guys how good of a freaking deal we got on this car
Old 03-12-2011, 02:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Awesome! Thank u very much for the help. I'll definitely keep all of this in mind. This car that we are talking about is my dads car...i am racing a mugen mtx4r this season. And i'm in Afghanistan right now so i'll see if we cant get some better picturse of it when i come home and show u guys how good of a freaking deal we got on this car
That's no lie, he stole it from me

Just some input as to what I did to the car before I sold it.

I did the dual disc brakes conversion, but I never bought the linkage for the second brake setup because it already has almost too much brake as it is. If you want them both functioning, all you need to buy is the linkage setup.

Also, I changed out the motor mount already in order to fit the Ofna motor that the car came with. The motor mount came from a GT2 that had been converted to brushless, so that's already been done.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Tech Rookie

i have a kyosho inferno gt2 the manual say but i would like to see picture of the gt1 and the gt2 side by side so i can see the difference
Old 11-27-2012, 06:55 PM
Tech Rookie

sorry guys im a new guy to the rc car world and the forum
Old 11-28-2012, 04:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Glad to see you guys getting into the IGT world, it's a fun class and Lincoln is a GREAT place to race! I've got a GT2 that I'm retro fitting a GT1 chassis to; in many cases the GT1 bodies are cheaper than the GT2 (ProLine and OFNA come to mind) and theoretically the shorter car should turn better. I plan to give my car a complete rebuild this winter (which in reality probably means about a week before the 1st race) to see how it does with the shorter wheel base - sometimes more steering is not a good thing for me but we'll see!

I also have a Losi l8ight model that is converted to electric - it's sorta' a work in progress but I feel that I've got enough things to try with it that I will have it working better next year.

The IGT class has shown the most growth over the past several years at the Lincoln track and no one knows the future BUT a couple of the 'old hands' with unlimited 1/8th were talking about getting some too last year. Plus, with the entrance of Serpent and the impending release of another couple of cars (possibly) it's clear that there is a BUNCH of interest in this and it hopefully will continue to grow!

Stay safe in the sand/rock/whatever it is pile and we'll see you back soon!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.