Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Torque Steer

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 03:28 AM
Tech Regular

Default Torque Steer

Just wondering, does the NTC3 and the Fw-05R suffer from torque steer very much? Being shaft drive.

Tak Wolf
Old 08-29-2004, 04:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

my FW-05R doesnt suffer torque steer althought thats on the track but i will have to test it holdigg the car in the air and accelerating it. but from today i remembered accelerating all the junk out of my exhaust out of my FW-05S and notice my steering sort of shaked abit! like 1mm to each side! but didnt pay attention to see if the car actually swinged to one side, this was also done in the air.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I don't know about everyone else, but my NTC3 never had torque steer. It always tracked straight.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:50 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by BrainTeased
my FW-05R doesnt suffer torque steer althought thats on the track but i will have to test it holdigg the car in the air and accelerating it. but from today i remembered accelerating all the junk out of my exhaust out of my FW-05S and notice my steering sort of shaked abit! like 1mm to each side! but didnt pay attention to see if the car actually swinged to one side, this was also done in the air.

do you even know what Torque steer is?

It not when the wheels turn.......... Its when the Torque of your engine steers the car. Because of the Way the engine is mounted in the Shaft Cars
Old 08-31-2004, 05:08 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Thunder racer
do you even know what Torque steer is?

It not when the wheels turn.......... Its when the Torque of your engine steers the car. Because of the Way the engine is mounted in the Shaft Cars
Originally posted by BrainTeased
my FW-05R doesnt suffer torque steer althought thats on the track but i will have to test it holding the car in the air and accelerating it.
what did i mean by that?
of course i know what torque steer is
Old 08-31-2004, 10:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

A lot of people before had a lot of torque steer issues on the NTC3, mainly because they didn't know how to set up the diffs properly or the way they drive and have the car setup. Its possible limit it to a small amount. I've heard the Fw05R has less torque steer. Both are great cars though the Kyosho, being the better, if not the best shaft driven nitro tourer.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:08 AM
Tech Addict

LD3 is the best Shaft car... ive seen.

The hole RB team. runs them here in Aust.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Torque steer it's a pile of old wives tale.

My new shaft drive car has none from the moment it hit the track.

It's a myth.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

mt ntc3 suffered from it. when coming out of slow turns to a straight away. it always went the same way. but like was already said, you can limit it by setup. loosen the rear diff a little bit.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:28 PM
Tech Master

It is a myth. Doesn't exist.

You can have the same problem of a belt drive car if you don't set them up correctly.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:09 AM
Tech Elite

No.

Due to the longitudinal mounting of the engine in shaft driven cars, there is a torque reaction of equal value and of opposite direction to the rotation of the crankshaft.

The more torque the engine produces, the greater the torque reaction.
This torque reaction causes a lateral weight transfer.

The engine facing either forward or backwards will determine to which side the weight is transferred.

Typical belt cars experience the same torque reaction but it is manifested in a front/rear weight transfer since the engine is mounted laterally.

This is basic physics.
Old 09-04-2004, 05:56 PM
Tech Master

It is a lot more complexe than that. There are other forces like to centre drive shafts which are in equal but opposite direction that cancel out the force and the torque.

It is not like a rear wheel drive car in which the engine and shaft are inline and are rotating in the same direction. This creates a force and due to the distance a torque in which you can see the car tilt to one side on the line.

Shaft drive cars are espically designed to have as close to zero as possible torque. There will always be some uneven torque because nothing is perfect. This doesn't mean that the torque will be noticable. I have driven a few shaft drive cars and never experienced this. They include FW05-S, FW05-R, NTC3 1/8 buggies and my mugen MSX-3. Due to the uneven surface it is very difficult to tell weather the buggies experienced a torque steer or not.

The first run with my new car it was turning under accelration and braking.

I thought possibly this torque effect. I then put the car on a setup station made sure that the geometry was correct. Shocks of all equal lenght ride height, droop all exactly the same and I didn't have even a hint of torque steer under power or under brakes. The car would track dead straight under either condition.

ask SPracer and RJL I'm sure that they have not experienced any torque effects

There have been many threads about this and it all comes down to people opinion.

I can only tell you that experienced racers that have used both belt and shaft drive cars that can set up a car perfectly don't think it exsits. I haven't experienced it and I'm sure that if you set up your car perfectly you wouldn't notice it either.

Last edited by frozenpod; 09-04-2004 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by frozenpod
It is a lot more complexe than that. There are other forces like to centre drive shafts which are in equal but opposite direction that cancel out the force and the torque.
No, it's quite simple. Those other shafts are driven by the engine. They don't magically generate an equal and opposite force to cancel out the engine torque.

It is not like a rear wheel drive car in which the engine and shaft are inline and are rotating in the same direction. This creates a force and due to the distance a torque in which you can see the car tilt to one side on the line.
I think you just described the engine's torque reaction, here.

Shaft drive cars are espically designed to have as close to zero as possible torque. There will always be some uneven torque because nothing is perfect.
There is no passive chassis design parameter that could eliminate the torque reaction from a longitudinally mounted engine, and the lateral weight transfer that results.
Clever suspension design may handle it quite well, but to say it is a myth as you did, is just plain false.

This doesn't mean that the torque will be noticable. I have driven a few shaft drive cars and never experienced this. They include FW05-S, FW05-R, NTC3 1/8 buggies and my mugen MSX-3. Due to the uneven surface it is very difficult to tell weather the buggies experienced a torque steer or not.
YOU may not notice it.

The first run with my new car it was turning under accelration and braking.

I thought possibly this torque effect. I then put the car on a setup station made sure that the geometry was correct. Shocks of all equal lenght ride height, droop all exactly the same and I didn't have even a hint of torque steer under power or under brakes. The car would track dead straight under either condition.
There will be no torque steer under brakes.

There have been many threads about this and it all comes down to people opinion.
I'm afraid you are wrong. This is basic physics.

I can only tell you that experienced racers that have used both belt and shaft drive cars that can set up a car perfectly don't think it exsits. I haven't experienced it and I'm sure that if you set up your car perfectly you wouldn't notice it either.
You may not have experienced it, but it does exist.
And, again, it is not manifested in the typical belt car layout.
Ask a helicopter pilot what happens to his aircraft when the tail rotor fails.
Old 09-05-2004, 04:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Thunder racer
LD3 is the best Shaft car... ive seen.

The hole RB team. runs them here in Aust.
Someone who actually knows what they are talkin bout.. GO THE LD3! man i wish i could hang a sponsorship off Joe Patane (the importer) RB V12 RODY.. now theres some serious power!
Old 09-05-2004, 06:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Team-RTR
Someone who actually knows what they are talkin bout.. GO THE LD3! man i wish i could hang a sponsorship off Joe Patane (the importer) RB V12 RODY.. now theres some serious power!
i thought you were gonna get a FW-05!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.