R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-12-2004, 07:02 AM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Tommy Bergfeldt

No engine today, damn Swedish Postal "Service"...
The LRP Engines are Picco based, yes
Tommy Bergfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 11:10 AM   #17
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by fastharry
I don't think the problem is the motor prices....Look at it this way.....A few years back,when we were all running Kyosho spyders and and HPI's....with all the hop ups,you still had cars that cost in the 700 to 1,000 range....Today,you could buy any of the pro chassis's,run a stock OS TR,and still have a faster car than those,and be under 5 or 6 hundred with radio gear...

In the Spyder and HPI days, you NEEDED to spend money on the cars to be competetive and also just to keep the car together.

It's the same with engines. Our "A" main is filled with very good drivers WITH $300+ engines and a OS TR aint going to cut it. Everyone want's to be or get to the "A" main but it WILL cost you and not many are willing to pay the price.

Well......... gotta get to work!
FREAKAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 11:27 AM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally posted by FREAKAH
In the Spyder and HPI days, you NEEDED to spend money on the cars to be competetive and also just to keep the car together.

It's the same with engines. Our "A" main is filled with very good drivers WITH $300+ engines and a OS TR aint going to cut it. Everyone want's to be or get to the "A" main but it WILL cost you and not many are willing to pay the price.

Well......... gotta get to work!
I have to agree on this.....OS TR or Mugen MT12 RB X12 engines are all good standard priced engine....however, get to the A-main with those who ran NS12 5 port Turbo or even Rody, Nova Max, JP motor...........the least you can do is those $300 plus Turbo engine......

When you can't do much about your driving skill, nor the car setups and options............the only single thing that can make you FASTER (or fast enough to catch those fast guy) are those $300 plus engine.......

Mugen X12 3 port non turbo (it is a NS12 3 port base engine) running about $280...........and it is no OS TR or MT12 performance.......it is way faster then those engine.

I don't want to agree about everyone need to have $300 plus motor to get to the A-main, but when you do have a decend job and can support you to spend a $300 motor, you will be forced to do so..........(but for me, I still can't justified to spend more then $200 for 1 engine...)

P.S....that is the so-called REASON that Serpent dropped their NOVA MEGA line of engine (with Nova Rossi) and joined with PICCO and form a new low-price (or acceptable) engine called MEGA powered by Picco.............all we have to see is what is Serpent's definition of "acceptable price" in the future when they release the Mega line of engine end of the year...
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 12:07 AM   #19
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Yep......

Kinda sucks when all your hard work reeling in the leader(with a $300 engine) in the infield is totally wasted when you hit the straightaway and the leader just leaves you in the dust.

You either live with that or go spend some $$$ just to keep up!

I have to admit that I can afford a $300(barely ) but I still have a hard time spending that kind of money on a .12.

The real issue here though is the beginners and their inability to purchase these high dollar engines. That and the growth of the class.
FREAKAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 06:30 AM   #20
Tech Fanatic

300 $?... pffft, that's nothing if you convert to SEK, With our price of a IDM prepped Novarossi and coverted to USD it will stop at 400$ ++

BTW, got my LRP today. Looks REALLY promising
It is at a price that in todays currency is at 332.97, pretty hefty pricetag for you but a real bargain for us Swedes

LOL, IDM would be around 492.8 for you

Last edited by Tommy Bergfeldt; 08-13-2004 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:25 AM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparx
300 $?... pffft, that's nothing if you convert to SEK, With our price of a IDM prepped Novarossi and coverted to USD it will stop at 400$ ++

BTW, got my LRP today. Looks REALLY promising
It is at a price that in todays currency is at 332.97, pretty hefty pricetag for you but a real bargain for us Swedes

LOL, IDM would be around 492.8 for you
That is INSANE............I cannot agree on the design/engineering value on those engine is = or MORE then the design/engineering value on a brand new Serpent S710, MTX3 or 4 or any of the top rank RC Touring car............

And for the beginners, I would tell them to work extra job(s) first before thinking about those high end engine....
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 12:40 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

A new 710 would be around 800 for you, real stupid prices.
But what i think is that the Swedish Racing market is really small compared to the American market. Also, the "bashing" market in Sweden is amazingly big compared to the racing market, almost half of the population has a Kyosho Alpha or Maxx, kind of... therefor "cheap" bashers and EXPENSIVE racing cars..

So the racers do now buy most of their stuff from either USA, HK or UK
Old 08-13-2004, 01:00 PM   #23
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I said this once in another thread...."I don't want to go $300 fast!"

Its one of those things to me, like $80-$90 battery packs, that YES I can affoard it, but NO I would never do.

Unless I'm racing for a national title, theres no need for it. Luckily, the nitro class at our track is growing every year. Mostly because most of the people go with mid priced MT-12s or knock offs of it. Yeah there are a few $300+ engines, but not too many.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:39 AM   #24
Tech Addict

Glad to hear you guys like our Z.12R Team engine. Yes, it's manufactured by Picco, but fully done according to our own specs. It has nothing to do with any other Picco or Picco/OEM-based engine on the market so far!

We were really happy how our first year with our own engines started and 3rd and 5th at the Nitro Euro's this weekend showed the power & reliability...

Btw, there's unfortunately no way to compare pricing in Europe and the US. Shops just work in a different way on so are sales taxes etc.
The LRP engines are normally very affordable compared to the other leading brands.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:48 AM   #25
Tech Adept

Any shops in HK selling LRP engines?
Finken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 06:09 PM   #26
Tech Addict

We are getting the Z.12R Team motor here in NZ for just around NZ$400 retail you guys in the US must be getting stung by your hobby shops or something (exchange rate at mo is US 63c to NZ$1)
Un-modded Nova Rossi motors are $425 plus here

Last edited by fathead; 03-06-2005 at 04:47 PM.
fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 04:37 PM   #27
B4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Team engine

Got my Team engine on Saturday. The power is fantastic and has exceptional punch down low. All this and it's still running on the rich side. I was ruunning a 5port NS12 and this LRP kicks it's arse.
B4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 04:49 PM   #28
Tech Addict

I have found mine to be very economical on fuel as well, I get 7mins from a tank full relatively easily
Old 03-08-2005, 07:34 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by fathead
I have found mine to be very economical on fuel as well, I get 7mins from a tank full relatively easily

WOW!!!this engine seems GOOD!!!but i am only worried about the life of this engine.can it be used for a long time???not long like 2-3 years,but like 1 year or 1 and a half???that is what im worried about.n i havent seen any shop selling them
ntc3freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:28 PM   #30
Tech Addict

Really depends on how much racing you do in a year, it is probably better to rate the lifetime in amount of fuel used rather than time as such.

We use 16% Nitro by the way, don't think you could get near the 7min mark running 30%