Search

Serpent Impact

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 07:16 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Serpent Impact

Ok,

I just bought a used one with 2 motors...Any help out there would be gladly accepted!!!

I have no clue what the setups on this thing are like, running the Lola body style...

Thanks
Old 04-16-2002, 06:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

If you check out www.my-tsn.com you will find a lot of set-up help since that is the Serpent web site. I bought a Picco Integra 10 about 2 months ago. I love this car so much that I sold my touring car (Yokomo GT-4R). You will love the speed and how well these cars handle. 1/10 235mm is the poor mans 1/8th scale.
Old 04-16-2002, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

The Impact is not a poor man's anything! It's not an inexpensive car to run! It is an awesome car, though. I race a 2000 Spec 4wd. The only thing I would add to YANMAN's suggestion is to pick up a set of red and blue springs. Depending on how grippy the surface you race on is, you'll need to choose appropriate tires and maybe have access to a tire truer. It's probably a good idea to have a set of 25 and 30 rears and 30 and 35 fronts. You should be ready for pretty much any condition with a combination of those tires.
Old 04-16-2002, 08:30 PM
Regional Moderator

Do you mean red and blue serpent springs? Or another brand..

(Sorry, it might sound like a stupid question, but I always mix and match spring sets to get the exact match for what I want)...
Old 04-17-2002, 10:30 AM
Tech Master

I was referring to Serpent springs. If you want to be able to exchange setup info with other racers, it's best to stick with that brand of parts. Plus, the Serpent springs are pretty cheap (~$8 for a set of 4.) Don't get too used to that, though. Nothing else is cheap for this car!
Old 04-17-2002, 12:07 PM
Tee
Tech Apprentice

In addition, you should make sure to buy that extra expensive Serpent shock oil. I know this sounds like typical brand loyal foolishness (maybe ?), but that oil that Serpent has really can't be compared to any others by using the given numbers. Theoretically, you could use any other mfg's "actual" equivalent, but then again, to find the "actual" equivalent will probably cost you more in time and cash than to just get Serpent shock oil up front.
Old 04-17-2002, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

Yes, I agree that the impact is not inexpensive, hell everything in R/C is expensive. I was just saying that you can have the exact same technology as an 1/8th scale with out having to pay $600.00 for a JP mod, so you can keep up with everyone. I second psycho's advise about the tire truer, you will need one with this car. Have fun!!!
Old 04-17-2002, 02:53 PM
Regional Moderator

Thanks for the info. One more question:

Is there a good online retailer for these parts. Not too many peoplel in my area run these cars, so there is not alot of demand for these parts...

Thanks...
Old 04-17-2002, 04:34 PM
Tech Master

I have found that Ace-hardware hobbies is a good place to use. also www.Speedtechrc.com is another place that is very good. Speedtech should have some Impact parts but if he doesnt I would say Ace-hardware hobbies is very good.
Old 04-18-2002, 10:55 AM
Tech Master

Bruckner (gulp) also does mailorder for Serpent parts.
Old 04-20-2002, 09:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Good luck with Bruckners. I called about some parts for mine, and it sounded like a little kid answering the phone. They had no idea what I was talking about.

Anyways, here's the setup I'm running on my Impact (4WD). It works great on our track, but your track conditions may be different. Ours is a parking lot track. BTW- this setup came from a guy who runs a lot of the big on-road races. He suggested Serpent springs, but I couldn't find them. I found the spring rates for the Serpent springs and converted them over to AE springs.

F-
Associated Red springs
Losi 45wt oil
shock piston at 3 of 4 clicks (next to hardest compression)
1 deg neg. camber
0 toe in
35-40 tires, depending on weather

R-
Associated Blue springs
Losi 35wt oil
shock piston at 1 click (softest)
1 deg neg. camber
2 deg. toe in total (1 on each side)
30 tires, treated with Paragon

Running Parma Lola body, OS .15RX engine (don't laugh, I win with it). Stock gearing.

I just switched to 1/10 on road this year after running touring cars for 4 years. I don't quite know what to expect, but hopefully those of us who are new can help each other out.
Old 04-20-2002, 09:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by kansasracer
Thanks for the info. One more question:

Is there a good online retailer for these parts. Not too many peoplel in my area run these cars, so there is not alot of demand for these parts...

Thanks...
Try www.atomichobbies.com They have a lot of stuff, and good prices. Also, their customer service is great.
Old 04-20-2002, 10:55 AM
Regional Moderator

Thanks, I'll give them a shot...
Old 04-20-2002, 06:24 PM
Tech Master

Kansasracer: I am sure glad you are asking the questions

I have been thinking of getting one of these cars for some time and there seems to be alot of good info.

Cosmo: I have not seen you or I meen read from you in some time, so hows biz and last time I spoke with you, your wife was due, so hows the FAM?
Old 04-22-2002, 09:34 AM
Tech Master

HEYALIGNMENTGUY

If you get an Impact, you should come and race with us in the South Bay. Castle and RAMS run 1/10 on-road.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.