Search
Like Tree33Likes

Xray RX8 1/8th Scale

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 08:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tonyhalandri
The car works great straight out of the box have you change anything on your set up?
Yes we did run a setup that was quite different than the stock setup. I know Xray is working on getting the PDF RX8 setup sheet ready for distribution but I will see if I can put something together, scan it to PDF and post it here or on the teamxray.com forum.

Jeff
Old 06-28-2011, 08:36 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Erock
Just a little build tip. Put a 3x12 grub screw in the front arms for the lower shock mount instead of the 3x8 that come in the kit. I had one on each side want to pull out at the Byron's race this weekend without any impacts. Love the car. Thanks Drew for the help this weekend!
Yes, the grub screw is too short, in fact, the depth inside the arm should be more than 8mm. The longer screw, more secure for the lower shock ball link.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Had a good weekend with the RX8 and am now incredibly impressed on how tough the car is. Had (2) separate head on full throttle hits this weekend in the A-main, had a couple different cars flip onto the straight right in front of me and plowed into them I mean full throttle. it actually survived the first hit with some the setup gone and tweak but not so bad, only to get it again about 5 laps later which was a total blow out.

But we are only talking shock cap, shock tower, front arms, front bulkhead, and bumper mounts, not as bad as I was thinking when it happened... you should see my body WOW.

SO one tough mother, the chassis looks fine, as well as most everything else.

Needless to say we will be putting the metal dividers back in (it's just easier to mow without them) for the TZGP, and the RX8 is getting all fluffed up and will be ready to rock........................
Old 06-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Tech Master

Default Loran's 2011 Byron's setup

Here is the setup we used at the Byron Challenge. I would say this set up would not be great for low or medium traction tracks since she had lots of steering. I drilled the top of the front shock at the base of the eyelit with a 1mm hole to vent the shock above the membrane and did not run the foam in the front shock. An offroad trick I know but it makes the front feel very linear. Remember this (or any setup) setup is not going to be perfect for everyone but should be useful as a reference. And...this was our second race with the RX8 too so take this all with a grain of salt. Have fun.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Loran's 2011 Byron setup.pdf (422.5 KB, 354 views)
Old 06-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Tech Champion

Anyone know the length of rx8 front lower hinge pins ?

(part number 34 7210 )

Thank you

Old 06-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jeff whiting
Here is the setup we used at the Byron Challenge. I would say this set up would not be great for low or medium traction tracks since she had lots of steering. I drilled the top of the front shock at the base of the eyelit with a 1mm hole to vent the shock above the membrane and did not run the foam in the front shock. An offroad trick I know but it makes the front feel very linear. Remember this (or any setup) setup is not going to be perfect for everyone but should be useful as a reference. And...this was our second race with the RX8 too so take this all with a grain of salt. Have fun.
Thank you...the thing is to understand your thinking when you change the car set up depending on the track...
Old 06-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tonyhalandri
Thank you...the thing is to understand your thinking when you change the car set up depending on the track...
Good question. I am sure there are many thoughts on this subject. Experience is important for sure but to me you must have a goal when setting up the car. For instance, the first time we ran the RX8 with the stock set up we noticed a lack of low speed steering and the rear was too planted and would not rotate well. So I knew it needed more front grip and less rear grip. So I changed the front and rear roll centers and the springs to get the handling I was looking for. Hope this helps a little.

Jeff
Old 06-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Jeff, BIG high 5 to Loran !!! She was awesome !! Great Job

Makes me glad Im running in the old timers class!!

Looked at your set up, noticed that you do not have any weight added and you were running the aluminum motor mounts. Did your car weigh out correctly ?

You know Im new to the RX8, but everyone is telling me that I have to add weight.

Chris
Old 06-28-2011, 03:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CFowler
Hey Jeff, BIG high 5 to Loran !!! She was awesome !! Great Job

Makes me glad Im running in the old timers class!!

Looked at your set up, noticed that you do not have any weight added and you were running the aluminum motor mounts. Did your car weigh out correctly ?

You know Im new to the RX8, but everyone is telling me that I have to add weight.

Chris
no tech at that race i was told
Old 06-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jrice
no tech at that race i was told
Chris, Jim is right the Byron's is a TFZ race (Tech Free Zone). We ran the car the way it came plus the regular weight 909 body so it prolly was right at the legal minimum with big tires. I'm with ya Chris...long live the Masters class. BTW way I have my RX8 sitting on its wheels so it won't be long for me.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:38 PM
Tech Elite

Chris, Jim is right the Byron's is a TFZ race (Tech Free Zone). We ran the car the way it came plus the regular weight 909 body so it prolly was right at the legal minimum with big tires. I'm with ya Chris...long live the Masters class. BTW way I have my RX8 sitting on its wheels so it won't be long for me.
Wit a nimh battery, 75g copper battery tray and 75g brass motor mounts, I still have to add another 100g to get legal?
Old 06-28-2011, 07:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by YBSLOW
Wit a nimh battery, 75g copper battery tray and 75g brass motor mounts, I still have to add another 100g to get legal?
Ouch...ok then we ran light......TFZ Good thing I have a your tray, brass motor mounts, unniversal weight kit to install and we run a nimh. Always something to think about for next time. Thanks Brad.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

we weighed mine without a lipo 2200 grams, shes LIGHT for sure....
Old 06-29-2011, 06:32 AM
Tech Elite

Ouch...ok then we ran light......TFZ Good thing I have a your tray, brass motor mounts, unniversal weight kit to install and we run a nimh. Always something to think about for next time. Thanks Brad.
Haha........too funny, when in in Rome, do as the Romans do.

I will have the brass radio tray mounts probably done by this weekend as well.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:49 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MAD916
Had a good weekend with the RX8 and am now incredibly impressed on how tough the car is. Had (2) separate head on full throttle hits this weekend in the A-main, had a couple different cars flip onto the straight right in front of me and plowed into them I mean full throttle. it actually survived the first hit with some the setup gone and tweak but not so bad, only to get it again about 5 laps later which was a total blow out.

But we are only talking shock cap, shock tower, front arms, front bulkhead, and bumper mounts, not as bad as I was thinking when it happened... you should see my body WOW.

SO one tough mother, the chassis looks fine, as well as most everything else.

Needless to say we will be putting the metal dividers back in (it's just easier to mow without them) for the TZGP, and the RX8 is getting all fluffed up and will be ready to rock........................
Yes, mine hit the pit lane twice, still able to run the rest of the tank.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.