Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree33Likes

Xray RX8 1/8th Scale

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 03:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey guys. IM just installing my reds wc7 engine and notice the screws and the 4 holes don't line up. Do i have to drill the holes on the engine to make them a bit bigger?
Old 08-24-2013, 09:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yessir. Think it actually notes in the instructions how and where to grind/drill/bore etc.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

I also have the reds wc7. Where can I find that instruction to drill the hole? I don't see it anywhere in the manual.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by oggietiu
I also have the reds wc7. Where can I find that instruction to drill the hole? I don't see it anywhere in the manual.
Page 28 of the manual.

"Most popular engines have a 37.8mm distance between
mounting holes. However some engines (for example, Picco)
have a smaller distance (37mm). If your engine has the smaller
distance between mounting holes, you need to enlarge the mounting
holes (for example, make each hole 0.2-0.4mm larger) to allow the engine to fit the engine mounts properly."

If you get on rcamerica and look at the manual there is a diagram that shows you what to look for.

I run the Picco engine and when I took my Max Power out and went to bolt the Picco in, it didn't fit. All I did was loosen the screws on the bottom of the chassis for the mounts. Then I bolted the engine to the mounts and then tightened the bottom screws back up with the correct gear mesh and all was good. I didn't drill anything out.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Erock; 08-27-2013 at 09:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-26-2013, 09:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Erock
Page 28 of the manual.

"Most popular engines have a 37.8mm distance between
mounting holes. However some engines (for example, Picco)
have a smaller distance (37mm). If your engine has the smaller
distance between mounting holes, you need to enlarge the mounting
holes (for example, make each hole 0.2-0.4mm larger) to allow the engine to fit the engine mounts properly."

If you get on rcamerica and look at the manual there is a diagram that shows you what to look for.

I run the Picco engine and I when I took my Max Power out and went to bolt the Picco in, it didn't fit. All I did was loosen the screws on the bottom of the chassis for the mounts. Then I bolted the engine to the mounts and then tightened the bottom screws back up with the correct gear mesh and all was good. I didn't drill anything out.

Hope this helps.
Got it bro, Saw it already! I am kinda confused why the hell picco and reds have a different holes.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Erock,

I think your suggestion will work. I will try that first before enlarging the hole. I might ruin my 600 dollar engine. I was able to bolt in 3 screws with no problem the forth one was a nightmare. I did not force it cause I might ruin my mount.

So it would be better to take the whole mount off the chassis then re fit as needed.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Erock, your suggestion worked bro!! Thanks
Old 09-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Tech Elite

Glad it worked for you!
Old 09-02-2013, 12:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hi guys, I am new to onroad nitro. I would like a little more top end speed for my car. How do I do it? Is it simply putting on a bigger clutch pinion or spur? I am using stock pulley configuration. Do I need to change those too.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey guys. Just having some difficulties installing the servo. I have tried using the spacers and taking them all out and I just can't seem to get a sufficient gap clearance for the servo horn. It is the steering servo by the way.
As now, it touches the front middle shaft and won't allow the servo horn to compress fully.

Last edited by steze; 09-02-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:34 AM
Tech Rookie

I ended up taking everything apart and re installing it. Turns out the engine mounts weren't installed correctly or I had them the other way around or something. So the reds engine fits perfectly with the xray rx8

I did exactly what Erock did
Old 09-03-2013, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Hi guys, I am new to onroad nitro. I would like a little more top end speed for my car. How do I do it? Is it simply putting on a bigger clutch pinion or spur? I am using stock pulley configuration. Do I need to change those too.
You can put a 21tooth pinion and the smallest 2nd gear spur on and that's about all you can do. You can run your rear tires a little larger (76mm) too.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by steze
Hey guys. Just having some difficulties installing the servo. I have tried using the spacers and taking them all out and I just can't seem to get a sufficient gap clearance for the servo horn. It is the steering servo by the way.
As now, it touches the front middle shaft and won't allow the servo horn to compress fully.
What brand of servo and servo arm are you using? I have had good luck with the TLR aluminum arm. Leaves about 1mm between arm and center shaft.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

I am kinda conused cause there are two sets of gears that you need to consider. If I make the pinion (clutch bell ) bigger by one teeth. Do I need to do it for both the first and second gear pinion? Would the dynamics for off road spur configuration i.e. smaller spur for more top end and bigger for more bottom applies?

Also there are other pulleys included in the kit, are those useful for gaining top end speed or low end torque. Do they go in set? I wish that there is a table or cross reference or different gearing. I know about FDR but not sure why they do it in the different setup sheet.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by steze
Had similar issue with a KO rsx and a robotronix horn. I ended up using the supplied servo horn no problem in clearance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.