Like Tree33Likes

Xray RX8 1/8th Scale

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 04:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M7H
The Red or the Yellow shoe?

If you used the Yellow, then I would advise you to also try the Red shoe, on a Serpent clutch that one will last an engine lifetime , and is really good!....

@TommyBlazin:
Yellow => 6587N
Red => 903239
i thought the yellow shoe last longer because the red is a softer shoe, correct me if i'm wrong
Old 06-22-2011, 04:33 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bobbyblaze
i thought the yellow shoe last longer because the red is a softer shoe, correct me if i'm wrong
I have had good and bad experiences with the Yellow/Brown shoe, there has been a batch which easily went to dust.... probably Xray has them now.

The Red shoe is more consistent in my opinion, and also long lasting.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kyle Hazell
Most people I know with the car me included have simply fitted the Serpent shoe and moved on. The mod takes all of one minute with the dremel.

Every car I have owned over the years has always had some sort of minor issue thats needed sorting out at some stage...

For me I don't think it's a big issue, it's just a minor hicup that I'm sure Xray will address very quickly.
Hey Kyle, how is going over there in Italy mate? hope your having a good time. how good is the car? i am really enjoying it.

so far the the red clutch shoe has held up to killer OS 21 XZR lol, after 3 track outings. now its time to see if the red shoe can handle the Speed 21 XZR once its arrives... look out Xray will be a lightning-Ray lol..
Old 06-22-2011, 06:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

ordered the yellow serpent shoe, even tho they call it brown? but the part# is right on...and spring retainer, and i agree, definatlly the best 1/8 ive ever driven as well, very easy to drive fast, im eager to put it up to the competition
Old 06-22-2011, 07:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

So serpent yellow shoe will fit without any mod or I will need some other parts to use it??
Old 06-22-2011, 08:35 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Roelof
Wij van WC-eend adviseren......

I was told the coating inside the bel and the spring are the main problem. Use a piece of sandpaper to get rid of the coating inside the bell and use the Mugen ultra hard or Shepherd spring..
Yes, my investigation of the orginal clutch is:
- the black coating, it melt with shoe powder
- material of the shoe, grooves can be found after period of time
- spring is too short, the hard optional spring even shorter, leads to lose tenson

Even try the low rpm break-in method, its good for short time. When heavily abuse on high power engine, many grooves show up on the shoe, but the bell is still shiny.

So now I'm using Serpent Yellow Shoe with Mugen spring seat and super hard srping. Still have to break in in low rpm to shave the sruface with Xray bell. Then works very well.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:37 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Roelof
I have seen that with a small modification it is possible to use Mugen clutches so should I ever get an Xray I will keep all my Mugen clutches. I am confident Xray will solve this issue but will the current drivers be capable to swap the clutch for free?
Yes I did, I use Mugen clutch as well, but using Serpent shoe cos mugen shoe is shit. I also mod the 2 speed with Mugen set
Old 06-22-2011, 08:39 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by FF25510
after reading the problem that the racer/owner of the car facing, and idea came up to my mind. Xray has been support some big event at EU,US or even at my place Hong Kong that he will give out a free package during the race. (sometimes it include t-shirt, stickers, pit towel of even spare parts) if the problem from the RX8 only involve several parts of the clutch system, maybe a replacement package will satisfy them (racer/owner) my point is the cost may not higher than the free package.
one of my friend own one and i can see he ran the car better and better each time except the thing that people now talking at. i have to say Xray products are good, i ran NT1 from 08 to EU WC version and the car still can surprise me by some setup change. hope to see people all running their cars with a
Are you talking about me?
Old 06-22-2011, 08:44 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bigredspeed
Hey Kyle, how is going over there in Italy mate? hope your having a good time. how good is the car? i am really enjoying it.

so far the the red clutch shoe has held up to killer OS 21 XZR lol, after 3 track outings. now its time to see if the red shoe can handle the Speed 21 XZR once its arrives... look out Xray will be a lightning-Ray lol..
Mind the gap setup, the Speed XZR has less low end torque, I tried 0.6mm gap, early engagement, no power, late engagement, scream like hell. I think 0.5mm should be good, I will try on wkend.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by princessmocha
So serpent yellow shoe will fit without any mod or I will need some other parts to use it??
Can't direct fit. need to sand the pin holes more inward, also need mugen or serpent spring seat, and longer spring.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

well my clutch was on FIRE today, for those that might not know, like myself, the flyweights are meant to NOT be placed in center of the pins on flywheel, rather the leading edge hole must actually go OVER the pin, thats correct OVER the pin, than it pushes and opens outward, giving the plate a nice push, never saw this done, but great advise from D. Collymore<he knows his xray 4 sure> anyhow that with a yellow shoe, and sheperd spring....OMG DANGER!!!
Old 06-22-2011, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TommyBlazin
well my clutch was on FIRE today, for those that might not know, like myself, the flyweights are meant to NOT be placed in center of the pins on flywheel, rather the leading edge hole must actually go OVER the pin, thats correct OVER the pin, than it pushes and opens outward, giving the plate a nice push, never saw this done, but great advise from D. Collymore<he knows his xray 4 sure> anyhow that with a yellow shoe, and sheperd spring....OMG DANGER!!!
I thought that this was pretty obvious... But seeing that since you are not the only one trying to place them between the pins, I guess not...

Serpent's clutches ever since the 720 (could be farther back), Capricorn's new clutches, Xceed Clutches and all NT1s clutches are like this...

The new XRAY clutches comes with two holes so you can choose the direction of where to place the pin and whether you want to add a small setscrew on the other side for extra bottom end kick...
Old 06-22-2011, 03:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beebone
Mind the gap setup, the Speed XZR has less low end torque, I tried 0.6mm gap, early engagement, no power, late engagement, scream like hell. I think 0.5mm should be good, I will try on wkend.
Yes beebone, i had 0.8mm gap with the silver hard Mugen spring ( not ultra hard grey spring) i wanted to run a little less but the silver Mugen spring is to soft and with a 0.5mm gap, it was nice. just be mindful when setting it that you have 9.2mm from end of crank shaft to top of thread.
hope it works for you
Old 06-22-2011, 09:03 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TommyBlazin
That's right,.... I agree with you. The flyweights should not be place in the center of the pins on flyweel, the flyweights actually work even better when they are place between flywheel's pins. Sometimes polish the flywheel and the pressure plate, so flyweights can expand and contract even more smoothly.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:53 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by asw7576
That's right,.... I agree with you. The flyweights should not be place in the center of the pins on flyweel, the flyweights actually work even better when they are place between flywheel's pins. Sometimes polish the flywheel and the pressure plate, so flyweights can expand and contract even more smoothly.
Yes more experience to share for different flyweights setup,NT1/Kyosho white weight, slot between pins, perfect fit, very quick engagement, but the engine load up too much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.