Community
Wiki Posts
Search

cleaning a fuel tank?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default cleaning a fuel tank?

Sup all, I grabbed a 4-tec off ebay and I have a quick question... The previous owner left fuel in it for what looks like a year...lol... so its like a paste. Now, I didn't pay squat for the car, so shelling out $12.00 for a new fuel tank is nothing, but I was just wondering... Could I just spray some degreaser in the fuel tank, let it sit, and leave the car upside down to get the gunk out... Or should I just replace the fuel tank?

I mean, it would be easy to just disconnect the fuel lines, spray some cleaner in the tank, an try to get the gunk out... As opposed to having to order a tank, wait for it, take apart the car, and replace it... So... what would you do, and why?

Thanks in advance...
Old 04-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RevAshley
Sup all, I grabbed a 4-tec off ebay and I have a quick question... The previous owner left fuel in it for what looks like a year...lol... so its like a paste. Now, I didn't pay squat for the car, so shelling out $12.00 for a new fuel tank is nothing, but I was just wondering... Could I just spray some degreaser in the fuel tank, let it sit, and leave the car upside down to get the gunk out... Or should I just replace the fuel tank?

I mean, it would be easy to just disconnect the fuel lines, spray some cleaner in the tank, an try to get the gunk out... As opposed to having to order a tank, wait for it, take apart the car, and replace it... So... what would you do, and why?

Thanks in advance...
id probably buy a new tank. it would probably be very time consuming removing all of that gunk out of there. You would need to get every last bit out so it wouldnt plug up the carb or fuel line.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

id get a new tank..

the paste is prob from the oil in the fuel.

put abit of fuel in the tank and give it a good shake.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah, I had an old fuel bottle I forgot about with fuel in it... When the fuel evaporates, it leaves the oil which forms that paste...

Anyway, I went ahead and ordered the new tank before doing anything... No sense doing it half-arsed.... so, thanks for the replies. I'm going to do it right the first time...
Old 04-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

You don't know how much junk is in the filter any ways. You don't want to end up with a lean condition and maybe ruin a engine from a $20 part. I replace my tank every year to be on the safe side.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Default save your money

save your money , i myself buy used cars from ebay and rebuild them and ill let u in a little secret , simply check your gas tank for cracks and leeks if their are no sign's spray some degreaser on it from the dollar general 1 buck and let it sit for about 5 min' or so and then spray a second time and wait a couple of minute's and with a old toothbrush scrub it clean and rinse under very hot water ' if you get some in the fuel tank thats ok just put a papper towel pinched in between the filler cap an let it dry upside down over nite , then for the easy part the best cleaner for your tank ' is yes u guessed it ' your own fuel , fill your tank about a quater full of nitro and let it sit for about 20 minutes or so giving it a little swirl around once in a while ' youll see the result's it will desolve all the oil from it then simply just dump it after your done, save your cash if you really don't need a new tank for something u really need ..... here are some pics from a gt i just got done ' ...