Community
Wiki Posts
Search

15FE not staying running

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 01:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 15FE not staying running

I just got out my Nitro rs4-2. Havn't had it out in 2-3 years. I cleaned everything up ,took the head off made sure everything was ok.There's good compression. Started it up but it's not staying running.Two questions
1.When I had the head off the sleeve moved a bit.There's a liitle notch on the sleeve.I have it pointed to the back of the car in between the pull start and header. Not sure If this is right but the one port lines up with the exhaust good.
2.When i was adjusting the mixture screw I set it to 2 1/2 turns .When I was looking inside the carb nothing is moving when I turn the screw? I thought I remembered seeing something move when you adjusted the mixture screw?
It ran good before I put it away and I put after run it when I stored it.
Any suggestions. Thanks guys
Old 04-09-2004, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

That screw is the IDLE screw, not MIXTURE screw.

2.5 turns sounds about right for that engine. Try at 2.75

Also. Make sure the IDLE screw is set correctly. That may be your problem. When it is neutral(idle), the carb should be open about 0.5mm on that engine.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:46 PM
Tech Rookie

The big one that "clicks" is the idle screw?How do i tell if this is working correctly?should i rip the carb apart to make sure nothing is seazed?
Old 04-09-2004, 01:59 PM
Tech Master

The screw next to the carb intake is the idle screw.

Don't take apart the carb if you don't know what you're doing.

Just move the throttle arm to see if the carb is moving smoothly.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:47 PM
Tech Master

The big screw that clicks is the mixture adjustment screw. Start with 2.75 or 3 like DOMO suggested. You are not too clear about what is happening. Does the engine run until you take the igniter off? If so, then you probably need a new glow plug. You should check the glow plug anyway since it is easy to do.

If the idle is just set too low, tighten up the other screw. The small one near the carb arm.

It could also be bad fuel. If your fuel is the same stuff you used when you put your car away, it could have gone bad.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Alright,I got the baby running good.I think it was 2 things.The screw that holds the throtle linkage was completly loose. And when I had the head off the sleeve moved and was off. I put the sleeve with the mark on it to the mark on the housing and boom she fired right up and screamed like a cat on fire. thanks for the help guys,time to take it out and give it a real test