R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-08-2010, 02:51 AM   #1
TIX
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Novarossi headers

Whats the difference between a conical and a non conical header?

TIX Race Designs. Plaig Bearings. Thunder Innovations
TIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default ?

I second that....need to know also....anyone know?
reemo_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The pipe of a conical header is smaller on the engine end than on the pipe end. It gives more power but uses more fuel.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Speedypeterb
Default conical

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIX View Post
Whats the difference between a conical and a non conical header?
conical means cone shaped so that the easy part to your Question, but as far as performance and the science of why the conical is better I don't know that except to say the exhaust can escape faster with conical headers, possile more revs and quicker?
Old 04-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedypeterb View Post
conical means cone shaped so that the easy part to your Question, but as far as performance and the science of why the conical is better I don't know that except to say the exhaust can escape faster with conical headers, possile more revs and quicker?
Whenever you have a cone shape tube through which fluid flows you create a "venturi effect". Depending on which way the flow is you either accelerate or decelerate the flow( increase or decrease pressure, respectively). In the conical headers’ the flow is from the smaller diameter to the bigger diameter, so it decelerates the flow(lowers pressure). It would be cool if an engine designer could explain why it creates more power.

In contrast to the conical header and to give a better idea, we have the venturis in the engine carbs. These venturis work opposite to the header, in the carb the air that is sucked through the venturi goes from the big diameter to the smaller diameter therefore accelerating the flow
Old 04-28-2010, 11:20 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Thanks

Thanks a million guys this helps out a lot, and I'm sure TIX thanks you too.
reemo_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:42 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Default push

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
Whenever you have a cone shape tube through which fluid flows you create a "venturi effect". Depending on which way the flow is you either accelerate or decelerate the flow( increase or decrease pressure, respectively). In the conical headers’ the flow is from the smaller diameter to the bigger diameter, so it decelerates the flow(lowers pressure). It would be cool if an engine designer could explain why it creates more power.

In contrast to the conical header and to give a better idea, we have the venturis in the engine carbs. These venturis work opposite to the header, in the carb the air that is sucked through the venturi goes from the big diameter to the smaller diameter therefore accelerating the flow
I know people think that engines suck air in but the opposite is true, the engine creates lower pressure when the piston drops inside the motor then what is outside and the air is pushed into the motor
Old 04-29-2010, 05:48 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Quote:

Nitro you deffinetly right about slowing the exhaust down, I was typing before completely thinking which way the pipes conical was,

In a valve type motor the valves close and the fuel is packed in the cylinder, but in these two strokes you need back pressure to help with the air packing of the cylinder
Old 04-29-2010, 10:50 AM   #9
Tech Champion

Quote:
I know people think that engines suck air in but the opposite is true, the engine creates lower pressure when the piston drops inside the motor then what is outside and the air is pushed into the motor
Well, thats right, but its a different way of saying that air is "sucked" into the engine. Semantycs?

Quote:
Nitro you deffinetly right about slowing the exhaust down, I was typing before completely thinking which way the pipes conical was,

In a valve type motor the valves close and the fuel is packed in the cylinder, but in these two strokes you need back pressure to help with the air packing of the cylinder
I was sure that the bigger end of the pipe was on the engine side, but before I typed I got up and looked at a header and was surprised.

Perhaps a conical header generates more power(with more fuel consumption) because the header being smaller on the engine side helps scavenge(another word for suck) the mixture faster before slowing it down in the pipe? Just thinking.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:51 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to motojon

Quote:
Well, thats right, but its a different way of saying that air is "sucked" into the engine. Semantycs?

Perhaps a conical header generates more power(with more fuel consumption) because the header being smaller on the engine side helps scavenge(another word for suck) the mixture faster before slowing it down in the pipe? Just thinking.
I small restriction in the exhaust (Conical) helps to speed up the air flow, which helps to bring in more air through the carb (scavenging effect)
Old 04-29-2010, 12:09 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojon View Post
I small restriction in the exhaust (Conical) helps to speed up the air flow, which helps to bring in more air through the carb (scavenging effect)
So, I was right. Not bad bad for shooting in the dark
Old 04-29-2010, 12:46 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to motojon

Quote:
So, I was right. Not bad bad for shooting in the dark
As long as you hit something right
Old 04-29-2010, 12:55 PM   #13
Tech Elite