Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who here still runs a NTC3 ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 10:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have been racing a nitro TC3 at my LHS's parking lot club races for the last few months, I just got back in R/C after a 10 year break and had never raced onroad before...the car has been extremely reliable but doesn't quite have the handling of the newer cars. It also requires very smooth throttle inputs. That said, I'll keep racing it until I choose a more modern upgrade, though I plan to keep the NTC3 around for fun and as a loaner car. Are there any Centax style clutch and motor mount sets still available for this car?
Old 12-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lance Lucas
I have been racing a nitro TC3 at my LHS's parking lot club races for the last few months, I just got back in R/C after a 10 year break and had never raced onroad before...the car has been extremely reliable but doesn't quite have the handling of the newer cars. It also requires very smooth throttle inputs. That said, I'll keep racing it until I choose a more modern upgrade, though I plan to keep the NTC3 around for fun and as a loaner car. Are there any Centax style clutch and motor mount sets still available for this car?
There centex clutchs out there. I had a K-factory on mine at one time and it runs much better with the AE clutch setup. Plus the centrex setups are outragously priced.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lance Lucas
Are there any Centax style clutch and motor mount sets still available for this car?
You can use a Mugen MTX3 centax clutch assembly for that TC3. The pinion gears are the same pitch as the TC3 spur gears. Works great, smoother shifts, snappy in corners.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Nitro tc3 solution: niftech shaft/ acer bearings/ front spool with losi lcds(#losa3344)/ceramic balls in rear loose diff/ goop rear diff bolt with blue locktite/ aluminum front shock tower/ associated bumper pad and custom cut bumper out of parma 3x8 inch universal foam/ matrix carbon rims (42shore left side, 37shore right side)/ newest protoform bodies: p56,p37,r5n, no holes in front windshield and rear windshield / 0.06 servos all over/ left side brace, or make your own/ AB mods jlr .12 tuned(about 50000rpm) or 78 to 79 mph with ae factory gearing/ best radio possible( high expos all over)/ ride height 4.5mm to 5mm/ red springs all over.......
Old 08-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

I still run with my NTC3. When it's setup right it handles great and can keep up with any of the others on the track. I haven't had any issues with running on a big track, or long mains. The car is tuff and it can handle just about anything.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Im having some troubles getting the car to hook up but im dealing with the best parts of three carcasses. Trying to get as much steering in as ican and make it more stable.

Still learning but lovin it. Any suggestions for well
Prepped parking lot settings? Tons of turn in but gets loose mid corner.

Only real
Complaint is how delicate the spurs are
Old 08-25-2011, 06:42 AM
Tech Champion

Checkout jilles Groskamp rc tips , and Mike Salven rc tips on youtube to find some setup tips !!!!!
Old 08-25-2011, 10:12 AM
Tech Champion

Thumbs up

If you add these setup tips to the ntc3 solutions described above, you should better than a Mtx5...lol....
Old 08-28-2011, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

had the ntc3 out today and put about a liter and a half through it. loving the fuel ecconomy with my os 12TR. we didnt have a race day, more of a bash with prepped track cause there werent enough people to set it all up.

had 4 nitro cars. two nt1s and a 720 on the track and the ntc3 was easily able to keep up and even pass them. i was worried my os didnt have the grunt up top on the straight, but i guess you need a lot more straight for the newer, higher reving engines to pull on it. was able to hold them off, and i have lots and lots of low end. too much..
with the 21/54 first gear, i roasted a set of tires in about 45 minutes of running ha. they were already worn a bit, maybe 59mm when i started but now there is about 1mm of trade left on the plastic. camber wear actually hit the plastic when i stopped for the day.

so after a bunch of fighting, im happy that this car will finish every race i put it in, I put a p37N body on it and suddently its super easy to handle. lots of steering.

maybe ill keep it around for another season.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Tech Champion

Smile

The ntc3's characteristics do improve when you add the latest hopups(bodies, tires, engines,etc...) to it !!!! It may even be better than some of the new cars out !!!!!
Old 08-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

my only concern now is every time you tap the wall, you have to check all your tie rod lengths.
last week every time i tapped i lost a ballcup. cost me a 80s lap while my pit guy retrieved the car and popped it back on.
i finished 12 laps down to the fast guy because of this. and it didnt take much of a tap at all. just a tiny bit of oversteer and bam.

this week i changed the steering balls to eyelets with washers. unfortunately, not if it pops off the sway rack, a marshall might not think to take a look.

i tightened up my droop settings, put red springs on front and blade with 45 angle. car drove sooo nice.

I prob wouldtn try a new motor in the car. just because of the limited gearing options.
serpents and xrays come with like 7.5/1 first gear. i think the highest ratio for the ntc3 is high 6's.

not so much worried about balldiffs failing. and there is always metal ring gears/pinions.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:47 AM
Tech Champion

Valk, are your axles shaved??? Do you have the bumper pad on ??? Limiting bad situations in a race is a sure way to make it to the podium !
Old 08-31-2011, 10:57 PM
Tech Elite

Running the axels as they are. Ft in the front some black steel
Ones from a donor car in the rear.
Had one of those pop the wheel off once when i went too wide though havent thought to modify them.

Running the foam bumper but took the plastic under brace off. Soft bumper to soak it up.

Funny. I started trying to Get more steering and now almost have too much. Aluminum pillow caps would be nice though. Gone through a few of those bastiches.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have a NTC3 and its the best nitro on road I've ever owned, I've been through a few hpi nitro cars before and had alot of problems with them....my NTC3 is a two speed with a Megatech M-16 engine,my avatar is a pic of my NTC3
Old 09-20-2011, 09:57 PM
Tech Elite

I must say, this season has been a test of patience with this car. got my os12tr running pretty well though so been able to take the motor performance out of it on race day.
lots of people say the R5 is a bad plug for the motor but every chance i take to try a warmer one, runs like crap. so leaving it.

setting the car up is still challenging. the asphalt we run on is sprayed with sugar water, but the rear end still kicks way loose on corner exit. got the car to enter a corner smoothly but you almost have to be dead straight to get on the gas or she just spins. heave learned to ease into the throttle. which of course all the nt1's ect use that chance to just blow by me..

running berry bakers 2005 setup as a base. copper front/gold rear 40wt all around. shocks are at their flattest position to make traction.
38f 35r. wore that set of tires down pretty quick actually. trued them to 61 mm and wore half them away in the three qualifiers.

any other suggestions for tires?

this weekend will be my last day of the outdoor season. hope it goes well. its funny, the car almost seems to prefer rubber tires that i practice on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.