Wiki Posts
Search

1/10 scale Tire Brands

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 12:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pistonhead
How do the light weight tyres give you more grip?
He probably meant better acceleration due to lighter rotating mast.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Serpent_Gordo
Light-weight wheels give better grip and steering. just better tires but strictly for race weekend/day unless you know how to keep off the boards and rubber side down
There are multiple reasons for running lightweight wheels, the better grip and steering are a side effect of the process to make the wheels. They remove the material that makes them heavy and stronger which produces a wheel that flexes more but is more easily broken. Flex in a wheel is the same as flex in a chassis, it can create more traction in the right circumstances.

As for being on race day only, I run for Twister and IDM (they are both ATS rubber) so I have access to basically 7 sedan wheels with different handling characteristics with the same foam. 2mm or 0mm offset rears, two designs and then standard and lightweight. IDM comes in about the lightest of the standard wheels.

Practice what you race with, you don't try to hit boards in practice do you? You should be fine with lightweight wheels if you prefer them. For an hour main? I always run standard weight although Michael Salvin and Mark Green from Serpent ran lightweights at a race I attended recently for the main although Salvin's front wheel did fly off in the first 5 minutes when he tagged a flapper entering the straight.

I don't know a couple of the brands you mentioned for an absolute fact, but I can assure you that most of the rubber in your list comes from one foam manufacturer so you have to trust the tire assembler to have ordered the right type of foam (how they cure it, how they handle it.. lots of things change the foam)
Old 12-14-2009, 09:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Actually the wheel that flexes more will be more durable, the lightweight wheels are made of lighter but harder material resulting into becoming more brittle and of course it depends on the wheel design and most lightweight wheel does not have a lot of material if you compare it to a regular wheel, that is why it is more prone to breaking, your statement above saying that the lighter wheel flexes more is wrong, it's the exact opposite.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze
Actually the wheel that flexes more will be more durable, the lightweight wheels are made of lighter but harder material resulting into becoming more brittle and of course it depends on the wheel design and most lightweight wheel does not have a lot of material if you compare it to a regular wheel, that is why it is more prone to breaking, your statement above saying that the lighter wheel flexes more is wrong, it's the exact opposite.
Thank you for your insight, I will have to look at my flexometer (index finger and thumb) tonight and see on some wheels without foam. I basically only use a certain wheel on a given day based on trial and error and whichever gives me the best lap time is the winner.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Are the Jaco Prisim rims lightweight?
Old 12-15-2009, 02:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

they look strong, but are they light weight?
Old 12-15-2009, 03:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)

Hey PistonHead go for the Jaco prisms trust me they are awesome and Ari at HEI has shelves full of them and will always have them in stock so you dont have to worry about having to change tire brands when a supplier goes dry..its happened to me before and it sux as you have to try and find the right setup again..wheel/tire combination is 75% of your setup!

I also see your running the G4, come see me this sunday at moorebank and ill help you out with your car if u like, im the only G4RS09 driver there but kicking ass and hope to take out the summer championship this sunday.

www.nbhc.com.au is where to buy jacos from in sydney, Call them up and ask for Ari they are located in north shore.

Regards
JOhn Germanos
Old 12-15-2009, 03:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

thanks a lot.

i will probably come this synday.

i found the Jaco nitro Shoes at RcModel.com Good prices
Old 12-15-2009, 04:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)

Give Ari a call tomorrow before you buy overseas, its cheaper to buy tires here in aus as you just buy what you need instead of buying large bulk overseas to make the postage worth it.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

will do,

you should check out RC model

i worked it out.
you only need to by 3 sets of tires to make it worthwhile.
it works out as $22 au a set including shipping.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

hey guys,
What other tire brands are there?

How good?
Old 12-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Tech Master

hey guys,
What other tire brands are there?

How good?
For your area? the best tire to me is going to be ATS or something made by them like Twister. http://www.twistertiresusa.com has a year end sale going right now but I'm not sure if he can ship to .au or not. I have run jaco (and still do occasionally as a benchmark, they are really good tires) and they drive and wear about the same as ATS. Just get something and get tons of track time so whatever is cheaper in your area.

ATS is the current 8th and 10th scale world champion, it doesn't really matter what anybody says about any other tire if you want what won. The traction must be good, and the wear must be outstanding to survive that long of a race and come out with a win overall.

If you want more brands that may or may not have been mentioned but here you go from what I can recall off the top of my head

BSR (maybe 8th only)
Enneti (on Mike Swaugers car I believe when he won 2009 usa 8th nationals, not bad tires either)
GQ
GRP
IDM (ATS, but they have a cool wheel and used to come in gold if you can find those)
Jaco
Kyosho red box
Matrix (also the only other tire in the 10th worlds main, very good tires)
RB
Xceed
Old 12-17-2009, 08:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

thanks
Old 12-18-2009, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

For those of you that are interested in racing on rubber slicks, Ipanema has a solution 1/10 scale cars too.

Ipanema pre-mounted belted radial slicks are available in 24, 26 & 30mm widths.
They're available in shore ratings of 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60 & 65.
Hard or soft inserts also help dial-in to any track conditions.

All made of 100% natural Brazilian rubber, the best rubber on earth.

www.ipanemasports.com
Old 12-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Default The Godfather.. TEAM MAFIA

thanks a lot.

i will probably come this synday.

i found the Jaco nitro Shoes at RcModel.com Good prices

Piston, the godfather of TM in Aus (Luis Sola) uses JACOS too, its HEI thing, he wouldnt drive them if they werent good. Luis also used them on your 502x chassis. Ive also used Kawahara's and Matrix, I preferred them over the GRPs on the G4+. Matrix rock at Moorebank.

What differs is the compound, Luis and I run harder 40-42 while MrGSR runs soft 35-37's. Depends on budget and setup.

NOTE: ALSO be weary of track width and whether u need grinding down to prevent wheel hub threads sticking out.. try and stick to one tyre type /offset etc or you could find your wheels fall off of scrutineering reject you at titles and bigger events. Not sure if they are still enforcing those rules

h

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.