Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Live from Lostallo - The Josh & Jonny Socko Show!! >

Live from Lostallo - The Josh & Jonny Socko Show!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Live from Lostallo - The Josh & Jonny Socko Show!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
I know we guys pay a part for the sponsoring of the factory drivers but these numbers are just insaine. Mayby time for limiting tracktime as the F1 has?
IDK but tracks in the U.S. depends on people running at thier track to stay open...
Old 06-26-2009, 01:51 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the reports Josh. Glad to see you are having a good time over there..... Hope you find that 3 tenths somewhere! It would be nice to see the USA on top over there! Good luck this weekend....

Wish I was there!
Scott
Old 06-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Roelof - The difference here is the 10 minutes as it really allows the mix of the pit strategies. Today, we saw Robert Pietch run 2 pit stops and set the TQ with a fast lap of 20.0 and a 29 laps, 10:04.... The others try to run 5 minutes but can only manage 29 laps in 10:10. I think tommorow, we will see a lot switch over to the 2 stop strategy to try and catch him. I know I am as I simply don't have the speed this way to try and keep up so maybe running flat out will be better for me. I haven't tried it but we will see....

I agree about the track time to a point but how do you limit it?? If it is my home track and place to race then what do you do?? Not let that person race there?? Do you put staff at the track at all times to watch/limit someone. Also, think about the fact that I am coming for 1 week but imagine the amount of fuel/engines/tires that others are putting in?? I'm sure I have logged a lot of laps here but there's no way I've put in nearly as much as some of the others that I know only live a few hours away. Especially laps they will put in once I leave.....

veloxargentina - We test a lot of different bodies and positions at the moment so I am not sure what is the best. I see some Protoforms, some Collari, some Blitz and a lot of the Sprint Zytech but this is a normal body that most here use so I think they are testing the others for the first time (one color paint jobs).

stefan - The fuel is available. They have CASES of it here at the track IF people want to use it.....

Thanks Dale!!

Scott - Honestly, I wish you were here too!! I would be really curious to see you run here with the power/fuel milage combo that you have had at 301. While it's a big track, I think you would really enjoy it as it's really a lot of fun to drive around (when your not thinking about being .3 too slow...lol).

Ok, time to get onto other things here but I will post more tommorow. Also, Rick has taken some videos from the track so we will try to figure out how to post those as well. Night all!!
Old 06-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Tech Adept

Where are you racing at? It will be nice to see some video.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by calrosse
Where are you racing at? It will be nice to see some video.
Lostallo, Switzerland.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
I agree about the track time to a point but how do you limit it?? If it is my home track and place to race then what do you do?? Not let that person race there?? Do you put staff at the track at all times to watch/limit someone. Also, think about the fact that I am coming for 1 week but imagine the amount of fuel/engines/tires that others are putting in?? I'm sure I have logged a lot of laps here but there's no way I've put in nearly as much as some of the others that I know only live a few hours away. Especially laps they will put in once I leave.....
Is there any other USA guys there? Doesn't seem like there's too many world class 1/8th scale guys in the US other then you and a couple others.
The EFRA could watch track time for the works drivers in Europe, but I don't really think there's a need anywhere else. Europe usually makes up over half of the turn out at international 1/8 IC events anyways, so they'd be the ones you should watch, not the guys with limited track time here.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Thanks again Josh for the updates. I have enjoyed reading about the real track this week while i raced it on VRC. I just finished the 40 minute final, http://www.virtualrc.com/events/even....aspx?eid=6576 It was you talking about fuel strategies earlier that got me thinking, I took a slight advanage by fuel and pitted one less time than anyone else, fun stuff.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:34 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Shopkeeper
Thanks again Josh for the updates. I have enjoyed reading about the real track this week while i raced it on VRC. I just finished the 40 minute final, http://www.virtualrc.com/events/even....aspx?eid=6576 It was you talking about fuel strategies earlier that got me thinking, I took a slight advanage by fuel and pitted one less time than anyone else, fun stuff.
Reality and VRC are quite different. Joey is driving constant laptimes of 19,8, he will never manage that in real live (at least at his current age)
What seems to be the same is the fuel consumption. With an average lapspeed op 19,7 you can manage 16 laps.

(30 in 10 minutes)

Last edited by PMSorber; 06-27-2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by PMSorber
Reality and VRC are quite different. Joey is driving constant laptimes of 19,8, he will never manage that in real live (at least at his current age)
What seems to be the same is the fuel consumption. With an average lapspeed op 19,7 you can manage 16 laps.

(30 in 10 minutes)
Are you sure........i see other laptimes from Joey.
The fast guys on VRC run 19.3 sec. laps and average 19.6 sec, fastest run is 16 laps in 5.13 sec so 31 laps is in reach i think.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by stefanmotonica
Are you sure........i see other laptimes from Joey.
The fast guys on VRC run 19.3 sec. laps and average 19.6 sec, fastest run is 16 laps in 5.13 sec so 31 laps is in reach i think.
We / he tried to drive 5 minutes online without tank-stop... can not be done with a good result... It also seems that online is different than local? I am sure that 31 laps can be done in 10 minutes

Point is that it differs quite a lot with the real thing.
Cu at Gouda, or not...

Last edited by PMSorber; 06-27-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Everyone,

Qualifying is now finished as well as a few of the lower finals. Robert Pietch continued to really put it to everyone as he improved his TQ to a 29 10:03 while others were as close as a 29 10:06 for Christiani, 10:09 for Picco and 10:10 for Shimo. Lamberto missed the top 5 which really suprised me but it wasn't by much and his car didn't seem quite as good as before (looked like it understeered for him).

I ended up with a rough day trying the 2 pit stop strategy. I struggled a bit with my engine as I think a crash in practice jammed a bunch of dirt into the front bearing. Slowly the dirt worked it's way through the engine and damaged the crankshaft and front bearing (it would hardly spin when the Novarossi staff took it out) so while I went for the 2 stop strategy, my engine lost a lot of power and I was still on the 1 stop speed. The car was improving (I thought) but the speed was getting worse and worse so we spent our time thrashing on the car thinking the problem was there rather than the engine. At least we found the problem but it's still a bummer really as I am in the 1/4 final.

On top of the engine, I have struggled with the feel from my car here. It's also been a little confusing but I think we found the problem as well. In the US, racing on the board tracks we sometimes have trouble with the plastic servo saver extension moving around a little changing the trim after you touch a board. So, at 301 (where my car was terrrible in the final) I changed to the aluminum TeamCRacing steering parts so I didn't have this problem (for the final). Not noticing it, I made sure it all worked really well and greased it so the aluminum didn't gaull and bind. In this though, the "break away" friction is much less with the perfect fit of the hard anodized aluminum vs. the plastic from the standard parts. So, in checking all the cars out after qualification we were thinking maybe my steering servo is bad but in playing with the steering we noticed how much softer my servo saver is. We ended up tightening the tension on the servo saver spring by 2mm to make it feel more similar to the cars of Patrick and Oliver.

Note to anyone out there using the aluminum servo saver for the Velox - Make sure to tighen the nut at least 1.5-2mm from the setting you were using with the plastic one!!

With that all said, we will see how tommorow goes. Time for some rest before tommorows finals!!

Good night all!!
Old 06-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Tech Regular

good luck with the races tommorow josh
Old 06-27-2009, 06:51 PM
Suspended

any other sites with pics?
Old 06-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Danny-b23
Lostallo, Switzerland.
Man that must be awesome, lucky suckers. Thanks Josh.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Tech Rookie

josh,good luck for the finals.

Gabriel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.