Team Magic G4RS 2009

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RANDY SMOOTH
It's a nice car Mark
must be....but.. you upset your " little buddy " by switching.. j/k
Maybe I can make it down to the fort this weekend. Get my hands on one and see what'sup.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MHarrison
must be....but.. you upset your " little buddy " by switching.. j/k
Maybe I can make it down to the fort this weekend. Get my hands on one and see what'sup.
that's funny . i'll try to make the fort so you can get your hands on the wheel
Old 08-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Tech Adept

I managed to find some time this afternoon and found way to the track.

It was a very pleasing day today, as I continue to break-in an engine and tried a few things in my car.

It was actually the first time I drive the G4RS at my home track. I cannot remember now how many hours I had to work on my setup for my old RRR to turn fast repeatable laps.

The contrast was immediate!! The G4 was planted and it felt awesome to drive, right away!! There are two sweepers that have a huge impact in lap times and the car felt superb at both!! I had been using a front diff in my RRR to be able to turn those sweepers nice and round. Since I do not have any diff fluids beyond 100k for the moment, I had to fit in the front spool. I felt that 100k front diff is too soft for our track in a G4RS09, but is just fine for a Kyosho. I was afraid the G4 would feel a little "square" with a spool and would not flow in the sweepers, but to my surprise, turn-in was still great and the car flows nicely!! I did not feel much understeer at the two hairpin turns of the track, either!! I still do not believe how balanced the car feels even with a spool! I have said many times how impressed I am with the car, but my time today with the car managed to put another smile on my face!!

Wow, there is no going back to ol'kyosho for me!! I was kind of holding back on putting my two Kyoshos and tons of spare parts for sell, but there are no second thoughts any more... RRR's for sell!!!

I do not remember when it was the last time it felt so rewarding to drive an RC!!

Last night I was making the few changes I meant to test today.

I removed the tall ball ends on the rear uprights and threw in shorter ones from Mugen, but same diameter. I intended to gain more rear traction by lowering the roll center and that is exactly what the car did!!

Some time ago I had tried this in my RRR but the result was not as evident. I do not know how far I could go on lowering that rear roll center, even by grinding off some material on the top to lower that ball end position, but in the RRR it got to a point that it did not make any difference. Our tracks are usually dusty and any additional traction is always welcome and I like trying things that are not in a manual.

On my first try here with the G4RS, the result was just what I expected!! I had to dial in some more steering afterwards, but that can only mean I can turn closer corners and keep the momentum to get out of the turn fast, too!

I'll be posting some pictures soon...
Old 08-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gtrmx

It was a very pleasing day today, as I continue to break-in an engine and tried a few things in my car.

It was actually the first time I drive the G4RS at my home track. I cannot remember now how many hours I had to work on my setup for my old RRR to turn fast repeatable laps.

The contrast was immediate!! The G4 was planted and it felt awesome to drive, right away!! There are two sweepers that have a huge impact in lap times and the car felt superb at both!! I had been using a front diff in my RRR to be able to turn those sweepers nice and round. Since I do not have any diff fluids beyond 100k for the moment, I had to fit in the front spool. I felt that 100k front diff is too soft for our track in a G4RS09, but is just fine for a Kyosho. I was afraid the G4 would feel a little "square" with a spool and would not flow in the sweepers, but to my surprise, turn-in was still great and the car flows nicely!! I did not feel much understeer at the two hairpin turns of the track, either!! I still do not believe how balanced the car feels even with a spool! I have said many times how impressed I am with the car, but my time today with the car managed to put another smile on my face!!

Wow, there is no going back to ol'kyosho for me!! I was kind of holding back on putting my two Kyoshos and tons of spare parts for sell, but there are no second thoughts any more... RRR's for sell!!!

I do not remember when it was the last time it felt so rewarding to drive an RC!!

I removed the tall ball ends on the rear uprights and threw in shorter ones from Mugen, but same diameter. I intended to gain more rear traction by lowering the roll center and that is exactly what the car did!!

Some time ago I had tried this in my RRR but the result was not as evident. I do not know how far I could go on lowering that rear roll center, even by grinding off some material on the top to lower that ball end position, but in the RRR it got to a point that it did not make any difference. Our tracks are usually dusty and any additional traction is always welcome and I like trying things that are not in a manual.

On my first try here with the G4RS, the result was just what I expected!! I had to dial in some more steering afterwards, but that can only mean I can turn closer corners and keep the momentum to get out of the turn fast, too!

Check the longer ball end (stock part) on the tyre...

The Mugen ball end on the rear upright lowers the roll center because it is much shorter than the stock part...

Next step will be to start grinding off just a bit of plastic from the top of the rear upright to see how far that takes me without upsetting the car. The idea is to place that camber link as parallel to the A-arm as roll center dinamics will allow.

The other thing I will have to try is making that camber link shorter. I am not sure what impact that will have in my track, but the shorter link would allow more camber change as the suspension compresses. That in turn will require less static camber. Right now the car will work with 3° to 4°, which looks a bit high. I will relate my findings...

Last edited by gtrmx; 08-05-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Tech Regular

Hi, anyone race team magic in socal?!
Old 08-06-2009, 03:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

GTRMX, do you have a picture of your track?

vamos guey!
Old 08-06-2009, 06:31 AM
Tech Regular

good stuff keep it coming, I don't know if you tried this yet but you should install ceramic bearing kit and 1mm offset hexes, my jaw dropped to the floor when I was not able to stop
if you could post you setup sheet would be nice
Old 08-06-2009, 08:33 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sebtarta
GTRMX, do you have a picture of your track?

vamos guey!
hahahaha!!! I do not, but let me find some for you...
Old 08-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by aizenbelle
good stuff keep it coming, I don't know if you tried this yet but you should install ceramic bearing kit and 1mm offset hexes, my jaw dropped to the floor when I was not able to stop
if you could post you setup sheet would be nice
I already have ceramics in the car and aluminum hexes!! Coming up is a Ti screw kit, turnbuckles, hinge pins, KFactory hinge pin blocks and high grip clutch shoe... weight is not restricted for us... If the mounting blocks make no significant difference in terms of roll center adjustment, then I am putting plastics back on, but let's see...

Let me put together a setup sheet for you...

Have you put spacer springs between the brake calipers??
Old 08-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Tech Regular

I already have ceramics in the car and aluminum hexes!! Coming up is a Ti screw kit, turnbuckles, hinge pins, KFactory hinge pin blocks and high grip clutch shoe... weight is not restricted for us... If the mounting blocks make no significant difference in terms of roll center adjustment, then I am putting plastics back on, but let's see...

Let me put together a setup sheet for you...

Have you put spacer springs between the brake calipers??
I have not, what type of springs are you using, would you mind uploading a picture? Thanx in advance
Old 08-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by aizenbelle
I have not, what type of springs are you using, would you mind uploading a picture? Thanx in advance

These are front suspension springs for mini-z.

From the many different types available, you must use those with fewer coils, so they can compress enough to allow good disc grip.

Let me see if I can find you a part number...
Old 08-06-2009, 11:39 AM
Tech Adept

These are front suspension springs for mini-z.

From the many different types available, you must use those with fewer coils, so they can compress enough to allow good disc grip.

Let me see if I can find you a part number...
http://www.rckenon.com/public_html/s...roducts_id=397

These are disk damper springs, but their diameters are similiar and they have less coils... even better!!

http://www.rckenon.com/public_html/s...roducts_id=780

Last edited by gtrmx; 08-06-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Tech Adept

I found these in Tower Hobbies...

I want to fit some of these right between the second speed gear and the bearing to reduce a little bit of excessive play...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGPC9&P=7

And these are for the middle pulley shaft...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPD13&P=7
Old 08-06-2009, 12:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Mini-Z front spring ?
Old 08-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I did the same thing, but used a spring from a bad ballpoint pen instead . Just cut it to appropriate length and bingo!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.