Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 733 1/10 200mm touring

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 05:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

i think the guys in AU know i havent run the SL6 box yet.
but pinion pitch and mesh, and gearing. never had an issue with the 733 WC trans. gearing i picked to suit the track and engines Ran. when you drop to the 16T pinion, you will always get a sharper tooth. so you need to keep an eye on your mesh, and the conditions of the pinions and spurs. my gearing never added to the same number, i dont see an issue to go 1 tooth either way, lower or higher from each gear. if 3 teeth or more then i think you will start having issues. the biggest issue i see, is when you set the mesh, to also pay enough attention to your clutch also. end play plays a big part, more end play and the more the pinion moves accross the spur. i have asked on the serpent forum, to also possibly allow the side pulley for the 2 speed shaft to be set in position with a set screw like the 720 used to have. this enabled the movement on the 2 speed shaft to be set a few mm in or outward, thus , enabling perfect alignment of first to 2nd contact patch from bell to spurs. sometimes when changing motors or even flywheel cones it can be off, and a pain to shim out properly with the C clip design. also id do a few laps then bring it in and check your mesh after things have set in. if you ever see an angled wear on your pinion, it also means your motor isnt set inline with the 2 speed shaft, and you end up having even less contact patch for mesh like this. hope the side pulley set screw setup comes with the 747, it makes it much easier to set up 100% contact patch.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ups ... I'm EP driver, just back to nitro again ...
Old 03-16-2012, 05:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by M.Abramowicz
Ups ... I'm EP driver, just back to nitro again ...
i started in nitro, went to EP everything is different. now going back to nitro ! but Offroad.

Gas we lay our shocks as much as we can, EP, for the life of me, i hate the feel of my car unless the shocks are up right. so different , maybe its the crappy rubber tyres ? hahaha.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
i started in nitro, went to EP everything is different. now going back to nitro ! but Offroad.

Gas we lay our shocks as much as we can, EP, for the life of me, i hate the feel of my car unless the shocks are up right. so different , maybe its the crappy rubber tyres ? hahaha.
Main setup tricks are same, maybe just higher values of drop in gas cars

XXXMain Chassis Setup Guide

Regards!
Old 03-16-2012, 10:25 PM
Tech Adept

The stripping I've been experiencing has nothing to do with gearing split or anything like that. I've tried numerous splits to test the theory
It's purely Serpent 16T pinions I've gotten have different "pitch" to other brand gears & to the SL6 which seems to be a "copy" of an XRay when I compared the 2
It's that simple, I can't believe I never looked earlier…..
If any of you have pinion removal tools, you'll notice that all 2nd's use the same tool from 20T>23T
There are 2 different tools to do 1st gear
One of them fits XRay/Shepherd/Zeppin etc and has 15T>18T
The other one fits the "Serpent pitch" 1st gear and is the tool I needed to remove the 16T Serpent pinion
When you compare the gears, & the tools, I noticed the Serpent is a bigger pitch
What it all means is that the pinion bites into the spur as it's a longer distance from tooth to tooth on the pinion compared to the spur (larger pitch)
This causes the spur to wear
I'm running a Zeppin 17T next weekend and see how I go, but I'm yet to strip a gear running a Zeppin 17T pinion
I'm ordering a Zeppin 16T as well to see what it looks like
17's a bit tall where I run
Old 03-25-2012, 01:01 AM
Tech Adept

Another day of testing & after trying other serpent & zeppin pinions and still stripping 1st, I ran a Sirio clutch bell with Xray pinions and not 1 stripped gear
Take from that what you will, but I've tried a couple of different Serpent bells, incase one was not round, and have tried Serpent & Zeppin pinions on the serpent bells to no avail
With the Sirio bell & Xray pinions, it was flawless & btw, the SL6 will be amazing when sorted!! Very smooth ;-)
Old 03-26-2012, 06:02 AM
Tech Initiate

hi im Fauzan ... I am new here ... guidance please.
I started with the KYOSHO fazer, then TM G4S, then Serpent 733 Evo and now 733TE. malaysia here Serpent 747 will go in may. can not wait ...
Old 04-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Smile

Hi, recently I purchase an used 733. I'm reading the entire post (currently page 179), but I want to know the differences between 733 "Original" , 733 EVO and 733 TE.

Thanks
Old 04-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Rodrigo360;10549113]Hi, recently I purchase an used 733. I'm reading the entire post (currently page 179), but I want to know the differences between 733 "Original" , 733 EVO and 733 TE.

Thanks[/QUOTE

Each change was a little at a time. I'd go to the Serpent website and start from there.

Pass you soon...

Last edited by lil-bump; 04-06-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi,

I wanted to ask a couple of questions, it's one of my first posts on this forum.
Sorry if the questions have already been asked, but 100 pages is a lot to read..

I currently have a HPI RS4 Evo3+, i know it's not a racer's car, but i bought it as my first r/c car, just for bashing around in parking lots. I liked it and started to like this "sport", so i began adding hop-ups to it, almost until i have nothing more to add besides the engine and servos- adjustable turnbuckles, carbon front and rear shock tower, carbon upper deck, springs, wheels, hump battery pack, cvd driveshafts, tougher cup joints..
Anyway, recently i decided to upgrade its cheap steering servo, since it makes weird noises and is so slow..the original hpi servo broke ( i opened it and since then it doesn't work )so i replaced it with this cheap servo. I saw the compromises of these cheap ones so i am going to buy more serious ones from now on..
I was looking through my local hobby shop offers and saw a Savox servo, but it's around 70$..and just thought that maybe this servo is a little too much for this car.
Also, i was a little bored with the hpi..it's a good car but i'm starting to see its limits, from the gearboxes which leak oil, to the servos, engine, drivetrain, suspension..
So, i saw a Serpent 733 at around 450 $ at my local hobby shop
It just looks great and the engineering behind it just looks like something i've never seen..i was hypnotized.

I wanted to ask you guys if it's worth it? I mean if it's worth just for driving around parking lots, since there aren't any race tracks in my town.
I know about the differences behind the Shaft drive vs Belt drive, and that's why i am hesitating, all the parking lots here aren't very clean, so i am afraid that i'll break any belt drive driven car.
But the Serpent is just very beautifully made..
Old 04-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by paul_e88
Hi,

I wanted to ask a couple of questions, it's one of my first posts on this forum.
Sorry if the questions have already been asked, but 100 pages is a lot to read..

I currently have a HPI RS4 Evo3+, i know it's not a racer's car, but i bought it as my first r/c car, just for bashing around in parking lots. I liked it and started to like this "sport", so i began adding hop-ups to it, almost until i have nothing more to add besides the engine and servos- adjustable turnbuckles, carbon front and rear shock tower, carbon upper deck, springs, wheels, hump battery pack, cvd driveshafts, tougher cup joints..
Anyway, recently i decided to upgrade its cheap steering servo, since it makes weird noises and is so slow..the original hpi servo broke ( i opened it and since then it doesn't work )so i replaced it with this cheap servo. I saw the compromises of these cheap ones so i am going to buy more serious ones from now on..
I was looking through my local hobby shop offers and saw a Savox servo, but it's around 70$..and just thought that maybe this servo is a little too much for this car.
Also, i was a little bored with the hpi..it's a good car but i'm starting to see its limits, from the gearboxes which leak oil, to the servos, engine, drivetrain, suspension..
So, i saw a Serpent 733 at around 450 $ at my local hobby shop
It just looks great and the engineering behind it just looks like something i've never seen..i was hypnotized.

I wanted to ask you guys if it's worth it? I mean if it's worth just for driving around parking lots, since there aren't any race tracks in my town.
I know about the differences behind the Shaft drive vs Belt drive, and that's why i am hesitating, all the parking lots here aren't very clean, so i am afraid that i'll break any belt drive driven car.
But the Serpent is just very beautifully made..
$450.00 is a little steep for a 733 first generation. If your just going to bash in a parking lot I would stay with a shaft driven car. Your going to chew thru the belts. But I have to say the orange belts are tough as nails.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

your spur and pinions are a little more protected as well with a shaft drive car.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the advice, that's why i was afraid..
Besides, my spur and pinions are already a little bent because of the debris in the parking lot..but they keep going. So i guess the Serpent would suffer much more..

I'll stick to the HPI until it will break and maybe then i'll go with a Serpent and be more careful.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have a 733 first gen, with engine and pipe for sale for $300, its a robery but I gotta get rid of it.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ent-733-a.html
Old 04-09-2012, 10:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Rodrigo360
Hi, recently I purchase an used 733. I'm reading the entire post (currently page 179), but I want to know the differences between 733 "Original" , 733 EVO and 733 TE.

Thanks
Hi, I found this!

The Serpent 733 TE Team Edition is the latest evolution
of the Serpent 733 platform.

The EVO version already included the famous Direct Link System (DLS)
and the updated rear end to enable mounting the rubber or
alu connectors to influence flex, and also the mono-type engine mount
was included.

In the 733 Team Edition the following news is included in addition
to above:
- new SL6 gearbox, all new design with very low inertia
- improved fueltank with new cap and seal
- rubber and alu rear connectors included
- the DLS camber bracket can be used with DLS
and with standard rear set-up.

Anything else???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.