R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-16-2009, 11:36 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default R/C Engine Trouble

Recently my cars .15 engine decided to kick the dust so i turned to ebay and picked myself up a .18 Gs racing engine. only one problem though, when i tried to fit my flywheel clutch and gear assembaly on, it dident fit the SG shaft was to short, since then i have been tearing apart forums and webpages looking for answers but have had no luck..i just want to get my car up and running again.
Attached Thumbnails
R/C Engine Trouble-100_8119.jpg  
panman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:42 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What car are you using it on? You might have to go to UFO or push type clutch. If you original engine is the one on the left, it looks like it used the bell type clutch. I can't be sure without more info. Can we see pics of your car and clutch bell that you have now.
Kyo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:48 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

Default Got those pics

Hey not quiet sure all of what your talking about as i am a novice a firly new to this hobby. got those pics though. oh and by the way my cars a GV (great vigor) v 2002 car (1/10)
Attached Thumbnails
R/C Engine Trouble-100_8131.jpg   R/C Engine Trouble-100_8127.jpg   R/C Engine Trouble-100_8126.jpg   R/C Engine Trouble-100_8135.jpg  
Old 05-17-2009, 06:33 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Your original engine has a unusually long shaft. The new engine has a normal shaft that you will find on most engines. Try not using the serrated washer. The thing in the upper left of the clutch picture.
wizby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
Tech Regular

After eyeballing the pictures of the engines again, I'm thinking the flywheel is what will have to be changed in order to get a good fit. Can we have a closer picture of it. Hold it from the side like a coin. Something like this might do the trick. Or this.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:34 AM   #6
Tech Initiate

i tried not using the serated washer but the flyewheel rubbed against the carburetor.hers sum pics of the flywheel.
Attached Thumbnails
R/C Engine Trouble-100_8140.jpg   R/C Engine Trouble-100_8142.jpg  
Old 05-18-2009, 04:58 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Your probably better off with a setup meant for an SG shaft.
wizby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:37 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by panman9 View Post
i tried not using the serated washer but the flyewheel rubbed against the carburetor.hers sum pics of the flywheel.
Yeah...I had that same problem with the GRX28 motor on my inferno GT. I ended up getting a smaller flywheel. I'm sure kyosho has an optional part that can fit it.

Here is the smaller flywheel that should allow you to use a thinner washer or none at all, behind the flywheel. This flywheel may not working if your engine is not a pull start, because the flywheel will not stick out enough to engage the bumpbox wheel. If your engine is a pullstart, then everything should be fine. You should actually get better rpms with motor too.

Let us know how that turns out.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to matts6887 Send a message via MSN to matts6887

Indeed, I agree with the others; u might have to go with a different shaft because of the way ur current shaft/setup is...u probably will have to play around with it a bit in order to try and figure out what setup is gonna end up working out for ya. Good luck with it though man.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:51 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

hey not sure if i can get that exact flywheel because i live in australiabut im sure i can get one like it. im also thinking that it could be somethingto do with my 2 speed clutch bell . i've seen some clutch bells and on most of them the bolt or screw that keeps it in place usally sits below the top of theof the bell but on mine it sits above the top. any way just something else to think about
Old 05-19-2009, 11:08 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by panman9 View Post
hey not sure if i can get that exact flywheel because i live in australiabut im sure i can get one like it. im also thinking that it could be somethingto do with my 2 speed clutch bell . i've seen some clutch bells and on most of them the bolt or screw that keeps it in place usally sits below the top of theof the bell but on mine it sits above the top. any way just something else to think about
This is true. The UFO or push type clutches I spoke of earlier are like that, but I didn't think you wanted to dish out $80 bucks for a whole new clutch set up, just to get an old modle car running again. Plus those are more gear to on-road racing. After seeing your car, it looks more like a Rally/off-road racer.

With that said, just try to get a smaller flywheel. It should work...btw that was a Kyosho flywheel. You can get it direct from them but its gonna cost you more.

If all eles fails...try to tradeing you newly aquirred engine with someone eles (on the forum trade/sell section) slighty used engine the has a pilot shaft (threaded) instead of SG shaft.

I have a MT12 with this shaft....but unwilling to sell...sorry. I just upgraded the bearings

Good luck dude.

Last edited by Kyo83; 05-19-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:41 PM   #12
Tech Initiate

yea thanks for that ill let you know when i get a new fly wheel, oh and it is a rally car the body is an 05 monte carlo imprezza so its prety cool.and its all good i plan to find the right gear and keep the engine as it did cost me about $120 but thanks for all your help.