Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 07:35 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Hey guys look what Santa brought me

Originally posted by markp27
PIC!
Maaaaan! Where did you order those from?

Old 05-25-2004, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: What's this thing?

Originally posted by GlennCauley
This is a boost bottle that connects to the crankcase. You have to drill into the crankcase and install a pressure nipple. Then the boost bottle connects to the engine by a short length of tubing.

These things are used to even out the pressure pulses of the engine to produce a smoother powerband. The practice has been around for ages and is used in 2-stroke motorcycles (esp. MX bikes).

However, for RC these things are totally useless. The bottle is waaaayyyyy too small to be of any use. This product is just a marketing cash-grab.
Glenn, agree with you re: marketing cash-grab ... isn't there supposed to be a t-joint with the kit too?
Old 05-25-2004, 07:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: What's this thing?

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Glenn, agree with you re: marketing cash-grab ... isn't there supposed to be a t-joint with the kit too?
Hi S&S,

No, I don't think there should be a T-joint from what I remember. You connect the bottle directly to the crankcase nipple (that you install). That is the only connection you make.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

3 words (and they are not "made of glass")

Oh... my... gawd !!!!!!
Now you're REALLY going to start somethin'

My 2106 engine was SUCH a pain to break in... got stuck so many times due to cylinder pinch, it took nearly 1 hour to get it running properly. And that was with pre-heating the head with a heatgun.

Funny thing about heat guns... when you heat up the engine with a heatgun, you know when to stop when you can see the fuel start bubbling in the tank.
I should also have known better than to point the heat gun directly at the airfilter (I melted the mesh screen on my Motor Saver airfilter cage) and also softened the top rubber of the rear belt a bit. I had a bit of brain-fade that day.

Mamma mia, you must have a big heat-gun! On the other hand, its still May and its still cold where you are?

Oh, Flames ... Stanley cup finals ... how goes it?

This engine is going to be a monster... it sounded a lot stronger than the .15 in my S835.

With the stock set-up and stock tires I went to a practice track that was set up Saturday in a parking lot. The lot was not swept, but they did spray sugar-water.

When I ran it I thought I would take it easy to break in the engine properly and not kill anything on the car. I richened the engine a bit (3/4 turn) and then went out.

Oh... my... gawd...

The engine is so strong it is scary. And that was not even broken in yet! I'm glad I modded the clutch... it worked perfectly! Also, the shift point was perfect! I have never had that happen before on the first run.

With smoke trailing and the engine burbling just a hint, I used my favourite 3/4-to-full throttle break-in. On a windy day with temp of about 20C, the engine got up to 225F after I leaned it in a bit after some runs.

Oh... my... gawd...

At the end of the straight, I could pitch the car sideways and do a powerslide at will. The car pushed a bit through the tight stuff, but that is mostly because the track design was much too tight (purposefully). I will play with springs a bit and maybe tires, but the stock setup is a GREAT starting place.

WOW... what a car!!!!!
Sounds like you'll be kicking some b*tt this summer!
Old 05-25-2004, 07:45 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: What's this thing?

Hi S&S,

No, I don't think there should be a T-joint from what I remember. You connect the bottle directly to the crankcase nipple (that you install). That is the only connection you make.
You're probably right. So I must have seen something else a while back. It was in one of those very technical Japanese RC magazines ...

Old 05-25-2004, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Hey guys look what Santa brought me

Maaaaan! Where did you order those from?

www.the-border.com

This was going to be for me 705 GTP 1/8th killer - now I'm probably going to put it in the 710 with the 2106 in the GTP

Take a look at the size of the air filter oil bottle you get from Mugen - this thing is going to last a life time Same Novamega only suppy the tiny little tubes!!!
Old 05-25-2004, 07:48 AM
Tech Regular

Now you're REALLY going to start somethin'

Well, I don't want to start flaming anyone on here.
I respect the name "Hudy" ... even if it was taken by a whiny imposter.

I did manage to break a steeringblock. My own fault. Easily fixed and easily repairable.

If the S710 is made of glass, it is certainly volcanic glass.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

3 words (and they are not "made of glass")

Oh... my... gawd !!!!!!
This is what I found, too! There is so much mechanical grip with this car. Normally I go for a spin on the track without the body on, just to get the engine warmed up a bit and that I can easily adjust the mixture - the difference between the 705 and 710 without a body on is enormous. The way the 710 behaves is more like the 705 with a body on it remains stable and good mannered. With the 705 you have to drive with a bit of respect without the body.

Glad you like your 710!
Old 05-25-2004, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

I did manage to break a steeringblock. My own fault. Easily fixed and easily repairable.

Old 05-25-2004, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Hey guys look what Santa brought me

www.the-border.com

This was going to be for me 705 GTP 1/8th killer - now I'm probably going to put it in the 710 with the 2106 in the GTP
Yeap! Sounds the deal!

Take a look at the size of the air filter oil bottle you get from Mugen - this thing is going to last a life time Same Novamega only suppy the tiny little tubes!!!
I know! I still have mine (different brand) from 3 years ago

Hey, let's pull Glenn in for a chat?
Tech Elite

Ach the Glass comments are all coming from Kids who either can't drive to save their lives or find it so uncool to have a car which there friends don't like, i.e. immaturity and a big lack of self confidence explains a lot - feel sorry for them that they can't enoy a great product - their loss at the end of the day - I'm mega. mega happy - I see from the track how quick the car is - comments don't make a difference on the track
Tech Regular

Glad you like your 710!
Now I wonder why I waited so long to drive it!

I plan to start out running 2 classes... 200mm and 235mm.
But if I find it is too much, I will have a tough time deciding what class to run. The numbers in the 235mm class are dropping off, and I wanted to keep with that... besides, it is a blast! But with this new S710, it is great to drive.

Decisions, decisions...
Old 05-25-2004, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Hey guys look what Santa brought me

Yeap! Sounds the deal!

I know! I still have mine (different brand) from 3 years ago

You need to post the link again, Sow
Old 05-25-2004, 07:57 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Hey guys look what Santa brought me

Huh?
Old 05-25-2004, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Now I wonder why I waited so long to drive it!

I plan to start out running 2 classes... 200mm and 235mm.
But if I find it is too much, I will have a tough time deciding what class to run. The numbers in the 235mm class are dropping off, and I wanted to keep with that... besides, it is a blast! But with this new S710, it is great to drive.

Decisions, decisions...
Same in England Glenn, 235 is really dropping ...

Click here Glenn.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.