Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 07:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by cyba888
The caliper will be used only for RC cars. 6 inch digital caliper compared to 12 inch is 30 bucks and 100bucks. If 12 inch is not needed then ill just save some $$ and get the 6inch.
$100!!! I think I too will go with the 6"

Where are you getting it from? that sounds a little excessive!

$30 I feel is more reasonable.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Marcos.S710
i guess you have to have fun some how!!
Old 03-30-2004, 07:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by BaxterC
$100!!! I think I too will go with the 6"

Where are you getting it from? that sounds a little excessive!

$30 I feel is more reasonable.
Cheapest place I found.

http://www.maxtool.com/cgi-bin/dbsea...ITEM=ME5906-IS
Old 03-30-2004, 07:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

The caliper will be used only for RC cars. 6 inch digital caliper compared to 12 inch is 30 bucks and 100bucks. If 12 inch is not needed then ill just save some $$ and get the 6inch.
I find the 12" is no use for 200mm cars. The only thing you can measure with them are the pillow ball lengths, the pipe lenght and tire diameters. None of those require 12".

The only other thing that requires measuring is the wheelbase and width of car. Both are beyond 12" making it useless. A good 6" set of calipers and a 15" steel rule are all that is required.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Palmaris Europe
I find the 12" is no use for 200mm cars. The only thing you can measure with them are the pillow ball lengths, the pipe lenght and tire diameters. None of those require 12".

The only other thing that requires measuring is the wheelbase and width of car. Both are beyond 12" making it useless. A good 6" set of calipers and a 15" steel rule are all that is required.
Cool thanks
Old 03-30-2004, 07:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Cheapest place I found.

And what about the local DIY or the hardware?
Old 03-30-2004, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Cheapest place I found.

thats a pretty good price!!!!!
Old 03-30-2004, 07:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Palmaris Europe

Thank you for the input, at least you cleared this up for me...
Old 03-30-2004, 07:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by InitialD
The 0.7 mm clutch gap measurement in the manual is not a hard and fast rule thingy. Depending on condition of track and traction. If you have lots of traction and the track is wide open, an agressive clutch with a 0.7 mm clutch gap is required. For smoother acceleration and linear feel of the clutch, useful for low traction and tighter tracks, smaller clutch gap like 0.4 mm or thereabouts is required.
Hi guys!

InitialD, thanks for the compliment about my recent article!
That is good praise coming from you.
I wrote it mostly because of the discussions that were going on here on this topic. I have been in contact with Julius Kolff to see how I can improve the article by listing the effects of too large or too small clutch gap and endplay.

Like InitialD said, the 0.7mm clutch gap is NOT a hard-n-fast rule, but depending on what the settings it, it will make the clutch engage harder, then make you faster! This gap value has been around for a while, since the original Centax clutch. At that time, they said a gap value of 0.65~0.75 was okay.

Like Palmaris Europe says, the clutch gap reflects what way the bite occurs... see comments below.

Figure it this way...

Larger clutch gap:
The shoe has to travel further before it engages the clutch housing. To move the shoe further, that means the engine has to rev higher so the centrifugal shoes expand out far enough to push the shoe that little extra bit. THAT means that when the shoe hits the housing it is spinning faster, and will hit harder giving a more sudden engagement.

However, this may take its toll on more strain put on other components, such as the thrustbearing.

Smaller clutch gap:
The shoe has to travel less far before it engages the clutch housing. To move the shoe less far, that means the engine has to rev not as high for the centrifugal shoes to expand out far enough to push the shoe that much less. THAT means that when the shoe hits the housing it is spinning slower, and will hit softer giving a smoother engagement.

However, with too small a clutch gap, the shoe may engage too soon and at not high enough speed, resulting in engine bogging. It might wear out the shoe prematurely.

Some comments:

From Palmaris Europe:
I would agree with most of what you said except about the part regarding engine revs. No matter whether you use a 0.3mm gap or 0.7mm gap you can still set the clutch to engage at the same RPM. It's all a matter of adjusting the nut correctly. The clutch gap only reflects what way the bite occurs.

From Sow&Steady:
The harder the clutch spring, the smaller the gap required for a given engagement at a given RPM (which generates the centrifugal forces for the fly-weights).

Glenn Cauley
Ottawa, Canada

Last edited by GlennCauley; 03-30-2004 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Guys wish me luck i have a race at Lakeland Florida this weekend hope my serpent does very well i did some changes on it that InitialD recommended so we will see , there alot of mugens at that track , so i hope that serpent comes out on top again!!
Old 03-30-2004, 07:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by BaxterC
And what about the local DIY or the hardware?
I know these stuff are usually more expensive here(not much selections). Anyways one of the guys at the track has one and he said he paid about 100 bucks for one but im not sure how long his was. Actually I might check it out.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Marcos.S710
Guys wish me luck i have a race at Lakeland Florida this weekend hope my serpent does very well i did some changes on it that InitialD recommended so we will see , there alot of mugens at that track , so i hope that serpent comes out on top again!!
Good luck Marco's Go get em!
Old 03-30-2004, 07:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by GlennCauley
Hi guys!

I wrote it mostly because of the discussions that were going on here on this topic. I have been in contact with Julius Kolff to see how I can improve the article by listing the effects of too large or too small clutch gap and endplay.

Like InitialD said, the 0.7mm clutch gap is NOT a hard-n-fast rule, but depending on what the settings it, it will make the clutch engage harder, then make you faster!
This gap value has been around for a while, since the original Centax clutch. At that time, they said a gap value of 0.65~0.75 was okay.

Figure it this way...

Larger clutch gap:
The shoe has to travel further before it engages the clutch housing. To move the shoe further, that means the engine has to rev higher so the centrifugal shoes expand out far enough to push the shoe that little extra bit. THAT means that when the shoe his the housing it is spinning faster, and will hit harder giving a more sudden engagement.

However, this may take its toll on more strain put on other components, such as the thrustbearing.

Smaller clutch gap:
The shoe has to travel less far before it engages the clutch housing. To move the shoe less far, that means the engine has to rev not as high for the centrifugal shoes to expand out far enough to push the shoe that much less. THAT means that when the shoe his the housing it is spinning slower, and will hit softer giving a smoother engagement.

However, with too small a gap, the shoe may engage too soon and at not high-enough speed, resulting in engine bogging. It might wear out the shoe prematurely.

Glenn Cauley
Ottawa, Canada
I would agree with most of what you said except about the part regarding engine revs. No matter whether you use a 0.3mm gap or 0.7mm gap you can still set the clutch to engage at the same RPM. Its all a matter of adjusting the nut correctly. The gap only reflects what way the bite occurs.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hi guys!

Like InitialD said, the 0.7mm clutch gap is NOT a hard-n-fast rule, but depending on what the settings it, it will make the clutch engage harder, then make you faster!
This gap value has been around for a while, since the original Centax clutch. At that time, they said a gap value of 0.65~0.75 was okay.

Figure it this way...

Larger clutch gap:
The shoe has to travel further before it engages the clutch housing. To move the shoe further, that means the engine has to rev higher so the centrifugal shoes expand out far enough to push the shoe that little extra bit. THAT means that when the shoe his the housing it is spinning faster, and will hit harder giving a more sudden engagement.

Smaller clutch gap:
The shoe has to travel less far before it engages the clutch housing. To move the shoe less far, that means the engine has to rev not as high for the centrifugal shoes to expand out far enough to push the shoe that much less. THAT means that when the shoe his the housing it is spinning slower, and will hit softer giving a smoother engagement.

However, with too small a gap, the shoe may engage too soon and at not high-enough speed, resulting in engine bogging. It might wear out the shoe prematurely.

Glenn Cauley
Ottawa, Canada
Thanks for the info....very simple and easy to understand
Old 03-30-2004, 07:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hi guys!

Figure it this way...

Larger clutch gap:

Smaller clutch gap:

Glenn Cauley
Ottawa, Canada

WOW, spoken as a true pro!!! Well done Gleann, I must admit, I take your article like gopel and you know what you are talking about. I am sure we all do think so. Thank you for the update.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.