Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 05:23 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Pit-racer
Just finished my new 710. I put my alum. shocks from the 705 just for the pics.Yes, cvd's and alum. shock bodies is really all you'll need.
The aluminum shocks are unwanted dead weight on the car ! If you want to see how light the car can be, put on the composite shocks !
Old 01-22-2004, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by InitialD
Carrying the old habit from the MTX-3?

Well, it's nice to see 3rd party options. But I think we should also take their durability with a pinch of salt !
Actually no, I'd prefer the original Serpent stuff. On the other hand, if Serpent makes me wait too much ....
Old 01-22-2004, 05:29 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Oh? What do they use?
I think if you look at the www.serpent-usa.com site, it will list a switch.

Also, I think Michael's mechanic (or UB... can't remember) mentioned on the mytsn 950 thread that Michael uses a switch that can only be gotten from a German website (non RC one). Can't recall the website but it was mentioned that Michael uses that switch on all of his 1/8th scale car.

Else, I think KO also makes an on off switch. Expensive and I think the unit itself kinda drains off some power if I'm not mistaken.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:30 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Rookie Solara
(1) Ppl like to push the thumb onto your intake (foam filter usually) so no fresh air going toward the engine chamber and the engine will shut down......however, ppl also say doing that will PUSH all the garbage that the foam filler collecting INTO the carb, and that is NOT the best thing to do for your MAX enigne (If I remember correctly, you said you just got a mod engine - MAX right....? )

(4).......put your thumb (with gloove of course) to the exhaust tip, back pressure will shut down the engine in several seconds UNLESS your engine running extreme lean.
I avoid method 1 and 4 because it loads up the engine with more fuel. It can make starting the engine a little difficult in the next time.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:31 PM
Tech Prophet

On the other hand, if Serpent makes me wait too much ....
Oh yes ! But then again, you have to agree that Serpent has been quite good in terms of parts availability lately. Except for the freaking 9607 race brake pads !
Old 01-22-2004, 05:33 PM
Tech Prophet

Yes, my mod did like you said...you have a good memory.
Of course with an effect it made from the stock clutch clutch flyweight mounting, who could forget?

Now with your mod ....do the flywts. stay in place w/ no problems?
Yes, they do stay in place with no problems.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:34 PM
Tech Prophet

O.K. I will install the wts. as you have instructed. They are not to be touching the posts ...correct?
Well, it will touch but barely. Make sure that they will slip out easily without any bind if that is what you mean. The pins are there to guide the flyweights back in and out.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:38 PM
Tech Prophet

Woow, Serpent should employ a part time watchdog ! Harry would fit the bill perfectly.
Ummm, looking through the so called "951" parts , I see that it's the same old shit 950 parts ! What is this? I expect nothing less from Serpent ! If they were to come out with "951", at least they should give new parts !
Old 01-22-2004, 05:41 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by PUNISHER
How is the durability of the new arms and plastic of the 710?
Also what would you recommend of spare parts to get for this car?
Oopphs, I think fmolzer asked me in a PM on what are the things that usually break on the car... Forgot to reply.

During the race, I broke a few parts that I thought I would not have broken if it was a 705. The lower bumper (802205), upper bumper brace (802206) and one of the lower bearing blocks front (802213/14) when I clipped the boards. The arms and the pivot pin held up fine. Just that the part where the pivot pin is connected to the lower bearing block will be ripped apart. The steering knuckles are tough. Just that when you brush the walls, the steering knuckles will pop out from the pivot balls. So that means that the tendency of the dogbones (802332) and the one way driveshaft adaptors (802248) will get lost in that event.

Be careful that when you change the front aluminum spacers for roll centers. I managed to destroy the screw mounting of the 802215/16 upper bearing blocks front when I was rushing.

As for the rear, I can think only think of the rear lower arms (802318/19). For me, they did not break. The pivot ball just compressed into the threads and I got a rear toe out !

So, those were the things that broke for me. Your mileage may vary as you may break other parts as well.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:44 PM
Tech Elite

Else, I think KO also makes an on off switch. Expensive and I think the unit itself kinda drains off some power if I'm not mistaken.
Hmmmm ... in that case the harness deal is still better then ..
Old 01-22-2004, 05:56 PM
Tech Prophet

Hmmmm ... in that case the harness deal is still better then ..
Of course, the KO switch adds cool factor and eye candy ! Not without added weight though.

Old 01-22-2004, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Of course with an effect it made from the stock clutch clutch flyweight mounting, who could forget?
Yes, they do stay in place with no problems.
I can't wait to try an onroad test....how much wt. can the alum. shock bodies w/ added strenght add over the composite.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:18 PM
Tech Prophet

I can't wait to try an onroad test....how much wt. can the alum. shock bodies w/ added strenght add over the composite.
I have no figures yet but on a light car, you can relatively feel it ! Note the word "relative".

However, on the 705, I did not notice this...
Old 01-22-2004, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

[i]... Not without added weight though.
[/B]

.... that's my problem with it.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

The aluminum shocks are unwanted dead weight on the car ! If you want to see how light the car can be, put on the composite shocks !
Come on D, it ain't no 12th scale !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.