Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 08:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by fastharry
here's a quick question...

We all can see that the diffs are easy access......
Does the front middle shaft and rear 2sp shaft come out just as easy with the diffs,for easy belt changes (like the,dare I say it,HPI R40)??????
I haven't seen the R40 in real life but I ad a look at the instruction manual on their web-site.
The 710 is not the same with the middle and 2-speed shaft. They are more or less the same as in the 705. But due to the smaller bulkheads you have more room to work. The 2 speed shaft comes out loosening the outer and the brake pulley, whereafter it slides out. The front is probably easiest to remove the three screws of the middle axle bearing block (m3).

But I think changing a front belt should take no more than 5 mins. The regular maintanance on the 710 is a lot easier than it was on the 705.

Julius
Old 11-10-2003, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i'm really interested on what the active toe is. does it
change toe settings depending on arm position and
what would be the advantages of the active toe
system?
Old 11-10-2003, 08:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by jwf_frani
i'm really interested on what the active toe is. does it
change toe settings depending on arm position and
what would be the advantages of the active toe
system?
I think the active toe system was developed by BMT a long time ago, off power it will have neg camber, and on the straight it will go to zero but dont exactly know how it works!
Old 11-10-2003, 11:00 AM
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally posted by InitialD
You claim to have experience with the Serpent parts... I'm curious because if you built one correctly, you will know that every part like the arms for example that are tight fitting and that if you ream and clean out the extra flashes in the holes where the pivot pin goes in with a dremel with a 3 mm drill bit, you'll find that you get all the required parts with the same fit to the pivot pins.
I guess i do not have great experience with them, for i have never owned one.

But a lot of the racers i am acquanited with do run them, and I have helped them to work on their cars before and that was what I have found.

Yes, you can get all the parts with the same fit with some work done on them. But that does not account for great factory quality. Because quite simply, parts from any company can be worked on to ensure best it.
On the other hand, companies like Mugen Seiki, and Kyosho parts fit almost perfectly and do not need any work to be done on them, unlike serpent. To me, that is what it means by quality.

Also, I have had experience with kits with the holes not lining up in the right place... that kind of things cannot be solved...

just my opinion
Old 11-10-2003, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

it's hard to see why everyone is arguing on a car
that noone has see in person. I'm sure this will
be a bigger jump in every way as the impulse pro
to 705 just because in my opinion the 705 was
just a different version of the impulse. this car
however is designed from a clean slate.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

The next part in the 710 unveiling is on the mytsn site:

http://www.mytsn.com/products/news.a...=3293&pid=9274

Cheers, Mark.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:47 PM
B
Tech Master

Originally posted by jwf_frani
it's hard to see why everyone is arguing on a car
that noone has see in person. I'm sure this will
be a bigger jump in every way as the impulse pro
to 705 just because in my opinion the 705 was
just a different version of the impulse. this car
however is designed from a clean slate.
yes
but I am not referring to the car
I am referrring to the company's products

no offence intended for anyone
Old 11-10-2003, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

Default Passive (Active) rear suspension

I had a 99 Cougar that had this feature. As I understand it.....

As the car loads the rear suspension, the tire turns out, as in gives more toe out. And vise versa, as the tire unloads, the tire turns toe in.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:36 PM
Tech Regular

Angry

Hey Pieter, can you tell me how that works?

Uh, no, sorry I can't. We engineered it but like the veteq we don't know what the stuff does.. However its the future of RC car technology and we will be discontinuing it in about 1 year. But we promise to support it going forward even though we won;t. Much like the Veteq.

Thanks for your money. Now would you please buy the 750.

" Active Rear Toe-In (ART)
A ground breaking feature that enables, depending on adjustment, toe-in setting changes during acceleration and braking as well as rear steering assistance during cornering.

Serpent - Performance through Evolution and Discontinuation "
Old 11-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by B
On the other hand, companies like Mugen Seiki, and Kyosho parts fit almost perfectly and do not need any work to be done on them, unlike serpent. To me, that is what it means by quality.
And what do you think the Quality on Mugen's prime 12 /MSX-3 and Kyosho's Pure 10 / V one S? Serpent was never that low and were consistent as far as their standard is concern.

Serpent was the first to release a very competitive nitro tourer while the others follow after the release of the impulse.

Here is a quick look of the cars that the compannies that you mentioned have released and soon to release-

Kyosho
1. Pure 10
2. V-ONE S
3. V-ONE R
4. V-ONE RR
5. V-ONE RR EVO
6. FW-05R

Mugen
1. Prime 12
2. MTX-2
3. MTX-2 Sports/pro-spec
4.MSX-3
5.MTX-3
6. and a new car early 2004 ( probably and update of the MTX-3)

Serpent
1. Impulse
2.Impulse PRO

I guess 710 is not a bad news after all. " Evolve or become extinct is a reality on RC cars too

CE!

Last edited by centax error!; 11-10-2003 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:45 PM
B
Tech Master

Originally posted by centax error!
And what do you think the Quality on Mugen's prime 12 /MSX-3 and Kyosho's Pure 10 / V one S? Serpent was never that low and were consistent as far as their standard is concern.

Serpent was the first to release a very competitive nitro tourer while the others follow after the release of the impulse.

Here is a quick look of the cars that the compannies that you mentioned have released and soon to release-

Kyosho
1. Pure 10
2. V-ONE S
3. V-ONE R
4. V-ONE RR
5. V-ONE RR EVO
6. FW-05R

Mugen
1. Prime 12
2. MTX-2
3. MTX-2 Sports
4.MSX-3
5.MTX-3
6. and a new car early 2004 ( probably and update of the MTX-3)

Serpent
1. Impulse
2.Impulse PRO

I guess 710 is not a bad news after all. " Evolve or become extinct is a reality on RC cars too

CE!
I have had much eperience with the kyosho V one R and mugen mtx-2 and mtx-3 and am quite impressed .,..

However, I cannot comment on the V One S and the MSX-3, for I have never worked ont hem before.

The quality of serpent is not awful, I am saying that there is better.
Regardless of that, this new car certain looks promising, and I, like all other serpent fans out there, look foward to it

Cheers
Old 11-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Tech Regular

Hey, I have a great idea, why don't everyone that thinks Serpent is crap go and buy something else, and the guys that like Serpent products go and buy the 710. In the end, I have seen these type of discussions go on and on forever and it will never, ever, ever lead to something constructive. I like Serpent products, think they are innovative as a company and try to develop their platforms continously. With that in mind, there is bound to be leaps from one platform to next when an engineer tries to improve on a current design. Will it work? we won't know until the car has seen some real track time. In the end, once you reach a certain level of racing, it all boils down to personal preference what you decide to buy. If you are good enough to win with a Serpent/Mugen/VoneR/R40/NTC3/Yoke/ or whatever, you know that it boils down to personal opinion. Look at the couple of latest nats, plenty of different manufacturers represented in the top mains... So with that knowledge, you know you really can't go wrong with any of the designs. 710 is hopefully a step up from the 705, but just like all the other platforms, it will not come with a trophy in the box, you still have to set it up and race it sucessfully. let's get this tread going on 710 specific stuff, not a "quality this, quality that" type thread. I for one have built enough kits to know and understand nothing is so good it can't be done better, either by the kit manufacturer or by the kit builder.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Schrijver99

The 2-speed turns at an slower rate so there is less forge needed to turn it. also 0.8 teeth
Hi Schrijver99, is this 0.8 module are confirm?

Because when look it very carefully, the spur diameter is still big relatively to the carbon stiffener height.
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 710-centax.jpg  
Old 11-10-2003, 09:21 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by fmolzer
Hey, I have a great idea, why don't everyone that thinks Serpent is crap go and buy something else, and the guys that like Serpent products go and buy the 710... <snip>
This has got to be the best and most logical post on the 710 thread to date. Kudos to you Fredrik !
Old 11-10-2003, 09:37 PM
Tech Prophet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.