Wiki Posts
Search

'03 IFMAR 8th Scale On-Road Worlds

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 09:49 PM
KMW
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally posted by EVOLUTION Anyone know what happened in the semis to salven and osaka?
Osaka switched from a 1-piece pipe to a 2-piece pipe to lengthen his exhaust along with different gearing for more bottom end in his 1/2 final. It worked because his car was a rocket ship out of the corners, but it also backfired because he ended up overpowering the track and sliding all over the place trying to stop in a couple of corners. That was the worst I had seen his car during the entire event. He was third in his semi, a potential bump up spot, but Fukuda was driving much smoother and eventually caught and passed him. (Fukuda still missed a bump up spot to the final by 2 seconds.) It appeared that Osaka eventually figured out how to control all that power and he started driving much smoother, but by then it was too late...

Salven's car/driving looked horrible when he went out to warm up in his 1/2 final and I think if his car is not working perfectly he falls apart mentally--that's just my observation. When the cars were called into the pits he made a big mistake and smacked his car hard into the pit wall. Then at the start his handling woes continued and he just let everybody pass him in the turn after the straight (after he completely missed the apex) because he knew he was beaten. Throughout the rest of his 1/2 final he made a number of mistakes including a big multi-flip crash that required a turn marshal to put him back on the track.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by KMW
Osaka switched from a 1-piece pipe to a 2-piece pipe to lengthen his exhaust along with different gearing for more bottom end in his 1/2 final. It worked because his car was a rocket ship out of the corners, but it also backfired because he ended up overpowering the track and sliding all over the place trying to stop in a couple of corners. That was the worst I had seen his car during the entire event. He was third in his semi, a potential bump up spot, but Fukuda was driving much smoother and eventually caught and passed him. (Fukuda still missed a bump up spot to the final by 2 seconds.) It appeared that Osaka eventually figured out how to control all that power and he started driving much smoother, but by then it was too late...

Salven's car/driving looked horrible when he went out to warm up in his 1/2 final and I think if his car is not working perfectly he falls apart mentally--that's just my observation. When the cars were called into the pits he made a big mistake and smacked his car hard into the pit wall. Then at the start his handling woes continued and he just let everybody pass him in the turn after the straight (after he completely missed the apex) because he knew he was beaten. Throughout the rest of his 1/2 final he made a number of mistakes including a big multi-flip crash that required a turn marshal to put him back on the track.

It looks like Salven is the most unlucky guy in world ..
Old 09-22-2003, 11:22 PM
KMW
Tech Regular

Originally posted by PMT
Just some quick comments about the engines used at the worlds. The Sirio engines that powered Josh's car for the TQ as well as Collari and most of the other Sirio powered drivers in the finals were the Collari Modified Sirio's. These are available on a limited basis and can be bought in the stores. As a matter of fact Darrin Ishitani used this engine to TQ the McCoy and beat the lap record by 1/2 a second. Look at the pictures of the cars but if you see gold heads on the Sirio engines then you know that they are Collari Modified.
Also, of the Collari Sirio motors I saw none of them had Sirio composite carb, I think everyone was using Novarossi carbs.

Collari, Shimo, and Bertin were using Trinity fuel. Josh Cyrul was not being that he's no longer with Trinity (he was listed as using CEFX). Other fuels used by the top 10 were Roga, Runner Time, Cosmo, and Fantom.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:24 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by KMW
Also, of the Collari Sirio motors I saw none of them had Sirio composite carb, I think everyone was using Novarossi carbs.
Interesting... They do that even on their .21 engines? I would take it from the photos that the blue heat sink Sirios were used for practise while the gold headed ones are used for the heats and finals...
Old 09-23-2003, 12:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by KMW

Thanks for the info.

It seems it was harder for some of the top guys to get there stuff sorted and cars dialed then was first thought.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:33 AM

...all this talk about Surikarn, so what did really happen in the finals? I am hearing many different stories of why he finished 10th.

KMW...are you going to the Paris race in LV? After that race I am moving back to Thailand. Also there is the first Asian REEDY race in Bangkok to in November. KMW
Old 09-23-2003, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I wouldn't take anything away from the serpent drivers or
osaka. The competition is just a lot tougher to the point
that you have at least 15 drivers that can legitamately win
it all with that said, you have to have everything sorted out
with setup and alot of luck. As for Surikarn it just goes to
show you a good driver is a good driver no matter what
dicipline they will find the speed. I just wish there were more
events to bring all the top drivers together besides the
ifmar worlds that is held every 2 year unlike the electric
drivers who seem to race each other every year in various
event for example the reedy invitationals.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:14 AM
KMW
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Suradaj
...all this talk about Surikarn, so what did really happen in the finals? I am hearing many different stories of why he finished 10th.

KMW...are you going to the Paris race in LV? After that race I am moving back to Thailand. Also there is the first Asian REEDY race in Bangkok to in November. KMW
I'm not sure exactly why Surikarn finished 10th, I just know he had a problem with his car. Up until that point though he made a great pass on Ielasi (who didn't look as good in the beginning of the race as he did towards the end) and was as high as 3rd. Soon after that he was in and out of the pits for something.

Most of the "talk" was from the fact that he won the 1/2 A final. That was a surprise, although I can tell you that both he and Oliver Mack had luck on their side. Shortly after the start there was a pile up and this gave Mack a substantial lead and allowed Surikarn to slip into 2nd, also with a substantial lead over 3rd (Osaka). Surikarn slowly reeled in Mack to eventually pass him in the pits and take the win. Fukuda fought with Osaka for 3rd early on, but this just lengthened Surikarns lead in 2nd. By the time Fukuda did get past [the slower] Osaka he was quite a ways behind (I would like to see the lap times again because I think Fukuda was quicker than Surikarn and Mack once he had clear track in front of him). Swauger had problems early in the race, and Salven ran in last the whole time. This race was quite a bit slower than the 1/2 B final that Ralph Burch won--Surikarn would not have bumped up if he had ran the same laps/time in that final, he would have been 4th.

In the 1/4 A final that Surikarn won, Mark Green dominated up until the 15 minute mark. I can't recall exactly what happened to him though, but I'm thinking it was a crash with a car he was lapping. It was something unfornatunate like that... Anyway this gave Surikarn the lead with about 5 minutes left. Again, a slower race than the 1/4 B final where the top three finishers there all had better overall times than Surikarn.

It was great watching his progress after arriving late. I went out to watch his very first run on the track (as did most of the Japanese Mugen and Kyosho teams), which was a round 3 qualifier, and to say he improved a lot in a short amount of time is an understatement. Note that Mugen Japan was helping him quite a bit in addition to Kawahara.

I'm undecided about going LV at the moment...
Old 09-23-2003, 11:34 AM
Tech Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jwf_frani
[B]I wouldn't take anything away from the serpent drivers or
osaka. The competition is just a lot tougher to the point
that you have at least 15 drivers that can legitamately win
it all with that said, you have to have everything sorted out
with setup and alot of luck.
I went to this race to see firsthand how truly good these guys are, and to tell you the truth at this level they`re just short of being machines. The final,and don`t take this the wrong way,was almost uneventful. What I mean by that is the fact that between 10 drivers there was a handful of extremely small bobbles over the course of the entire hour. You stand there and watch 10 cars run around as if they`re on slots and except for pit stops they rarely change positions. You just try and see the very small speed difference between each driver. Truly amazing. Thats why I feel the discussion of who won and what he was driving ,at this level,is a moot point as any one of these guys driving any one of these cars could have been world champ. It really boiled down to very small bits of luck on each drivers part.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:31 PM
Tech Adept

KMW: Thanks for such detailed info...
As Saints1115 rightly pointed out, at least 15 drivers were all capable of winning. it just takes the right set-up, strategy, consistency etc.etc. and LOTS of Luck!! to finish first, you have to finish...
I have pointed out that Surikarn is sponsored by Kawahara,who works closely with Mugen Japan. and he would not be 'there' had Kawahara not been there.Again some of d credits must go to Kawahara,especially Kasuya Yuruki,his mentor.
Those who know Surikarn will agree that he's well known for his consistency. Even in local regional races, he doesn't always post the best single lap time, but the lap to lap times are almost like a clockwork.
That's interesting to know why the A group were slower. I cannot imagine if the track condition was changed.
one more thing that impressed me was the fact that Franck Bestel & Surikarn bumped up twice, meaning they had been racing for a total of almost 2hrs. Very exciting indeed .
Old 09-23-2003, 01:40 PM

Thanks KMW~! Eric V. called me(AKA: Joey Ellis)Saturday before the finals to tell me that Surikarn was in the final. Looks like Eric V. did pretty well himself after not racing 1/8 for a long time. Like his lola bodies? I painted those, 555~!(Haha~!). Anyway maybe see you at next RAMS~!

Looks like when I go back to Thailand, I'll be put to work at the Family's business
Old 09-23-2003, 06:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well another worlds has gone by the way of history. Congratulatories to the legendary Lamberto Collari on his win. The Americans really showed they know how to play on the big stage. well next up for the nitros is the TC and 235 Worlds in Brazil. More than likely we'll be seeing the same major players that we saw in Cincy. BTW, you need to check out the website for the 2004 nitro TC worlds track and have a looksie at the layout they have.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yup, feel free to visit :

www.rc-riverside.com ... its the official website from the host in Brazil ...

I just did the pre-entry cause i have a job assignment in Brazil until April 30th so i dont want to miss the event !!!, even if i break my car on the first day and do the worst timing heheheheheh ...

cya on Brazil !!!; if anyone need any information feel free to ask here and i will do my best to help you all ...
Old 09-24-2003, 09:16 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by EVOLUTION
Also was he using a REX engine or OS max?
EVOLUTION: as promised, this is to confirm that Surikarn "did not" run any OS engines at all. In fact, he ran only one (1) single engine, during the whole entire event since his very first run i.e. round #3,#4,#5,#6, 1/4F, 1/2F, GF. The engine was a Nova REX M.Rossi , customized n tuned by Kawahara, of course.

Apparantly, those who posted about Karn running O.S. could have got mixed up between Karn and Hideo Kitazawa, the Futaba Engineer, also racing MRX-3 and used O.S. engines (Futaba & OS are married ) who sat at the same table as Karn. The two of them (as you probably have heard from other reports) came together from Japan, as soon as finishing their JMRCA race. The two of them 'might' look alike to those who were not used to Asian faces.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by slowhand
EVOLUTION: as promised, this is to confirm that Surikarn "did not" run any OS engines at all. In fact, he ran only one (1) single engine, during the whole entire event since his very first run i.e. round #3,#4,#5,#6, 1/4F, 1/2F, GF. The engine was a Nova REX M.Rossi , customized n tuned by Kawahara, of course.

Apparantly, those who posted about Karn running O.S. could have got mixed up between Karn and Hideo Kitazawa, the Futaba Engineer, also racing MRX-3 and used O.S. engines (Futaba & OS are married ) who sat at the same table as Karn. The two of them (as you probably have heard from other reports) came together from Japan, as soon as finishing their JMRCA race. The two of them 'might' look alike to those who were not used to Asian faces.
1 Engine for the whole entire race !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.