Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pipe cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 03:43 AM
Tech Regular

I leave the crockpot on low with full strength anti-freeze. Every three or four hours I will take the lid off the crockpot, and take the pipe out and use an old toothbrush on the really caked on stuff. I would leave the lid on the pot during the process to save the anti freeze from boiling off, and breathing the fumes. Ethylene glycol is toxic if ingested, and I'm not sure much better for you inhaled. I hesitate using abrasive pads of any kind on pipes, because yes it will remove the gunk but it will also remove the anodizing.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

There's a product called Carbon Off, spay on, let sit, then hose it off. It's simple and it works. You may have to use a nylon brush for the real 'stubborn' stains. Wear rubber gloves, cause the stuff is caustic.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:29 AM
ira
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LogiK
Does it take much scrubbing afterwards in the crockpot?

Also what brand of antifreeze is everyone using?
Nope.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Tried this last night. Bought a cheap crock pot for $9, used the orange anti-freeze I had left over from my car (can't remember if it was a pre-mix or not). Dropped the pipe and manifold (the Ninja FLS pipe), set it on high and let it sit for about 7 hours. A rinse and wipe later it was nice and clean again. There were a few deposits still on the pipe, but they flaked off very easily and I'm sure if I left the pipe on longer it fould have got that too. All in all, I'd recommend trying it.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

What about a titanium pipe? Will this work the same way?

lol Just want to be sure
Old 09-15-2008, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO
What about a titanium pipe? Will this work the same way?

lol Just want to be sure
Yes
Old 09-19-2008, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by GMartinez
I'll stick with the SOS pad I can see the wife now throwing the crock pot @ me & that crock pot looks like it will really hurt
Mr. Martinez, u're a poptart! Lol... What good my dude?
Old 09-19-2008, 09:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LogiK
Does it take much scrubbing afterwards in the crockpot?

Also what brand of antifreeze is everyone using?
For the best way to clean the pipe after cooking, turn of the pot and let it cool down a little (trust me, it was super hot when it was still on)...cleaning the pipe off while they are WARM is the best.

The final cleaning actually does not need to scrub, they are almost like a thin layer of 'black stuff", you just need to wipe it off, very easy.

Just buy the straight Anti-freeze for the MAX performance, don't buy the pre-mixed 50/50 one...this is the one I use from Walmart, $9.99 and the pod I got from the same place $9.99.

Fine...I might as well post the rest of the process pictures

Old 09-19-2008, 06:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

mmmm pipe stew

Kinda looks like soy sauce
Old 09-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

sorry guys, will pure coolant without anti-freeze do the job? they dun sell anti-freeze / coolant here in Malaysia, maybe cos of the hot weather all year round...
Old 09-05-2010, 12:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I use a totally different method for cleaning pipes. I drop them into deminerlized parafin. Leave them there for about 30min and wash off with cold water, stuff is amazing and all the caked carbon is removed. The liquid attacks organic material and you see the carban fall off the pipe, just make sure gaskets are off. Not sure if you get that over there, its a lumo yellow colour with two layers of liquid.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:23 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by wmay11
I use a totally different method for cleaning pipes. I drop them into deminerlized parafin. Leave them there for about 30min and wash off with cold water, stuff is amazing and all the caked carbon is removed. The liquid attacks organic material and you see the carban fall off the pipe, just make sure gaskets are off. Not sure if you get that over there, its a lumo yellow colour with two layers of liquid.
Where do you get that? One other way:

In a car-garage they normally clean the head of an engine after replacing the head-gasket. This stuff is about the same as what MLC is selling.
No cooking, gasses etc... just place your pipe in the stuff for 3 hours and all is as new.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I get it from a hobby store but I am sure you could get it in Holland if you know what to look for. It is used in industry. The top layer is a jelly type liquid and the bottom liquid what eats away at carbon, the top layer prevents bottom liquid from evaporating to atmosphere.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:00 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by wmay11
I get it from a hobby store but I am sure you could get it in Holland if you know what to look for. It is used in industry. The top layer is a jelly type liquid and the bottom liquid what eats away at carbon, the top layer prevents bottom liquid from evaporating to atmosphere.
Does it have a name? Then I know what to look for
Old 09-05-2010, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

i use a ultrasonics cleaner filled with a 50/50 mix of simple green and water.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.