Engine Wars Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Engine Wars Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 03:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Top Gun 777 in the "Problem with Mugen MR-12" thread.
I wasn't talking about one which moment you got to chnage conrod, I was talking about how to make conrod and crancksahft life longer. Cors is right about inspection of engine periodically to prevent from major brack down, not after every run, but at list after 3-4 meetings.
What I was talking about there is ways to make engine life much longer. You just need perform abviose set up on it and it will last 2-3 times longer. All Novas and Rossi made after 1985 (if I am not wrong with date, but it start from Rossi F15) made the same way-too tight. It is due to the costs of setting P/S sets. So manufacturers are leaving it to racer. I try to recomend how to prevent from this damage by performing simple set up.

Last edited by EVOLUTION; 08-19-2003 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

What type of setup do you perform to the engine before you run them?

Last edited by EVOLUTION; 08-19-2003 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by EVOLUTION
OOOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2003, 09:55 AM
Tech Master

Sorry for the dumb question but...

Are people really paying $200+ for an NS12 S3? Wow, this hobby is really killing my wallet.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by rod_b

Are people really paying $200+ for an NS12 S3? Wow, this hobby is really killing my wallet.
Will be happy to pay 200$ for the NS12 S3 (Have there two units who costs each one 285 Euros.... Ouch!).

Haven't did a official race with them (too new for me and haven't accustomed to it, prefeer to use the ol' trust and powerful 'Woken up' RS12 ).

Will start using as I get better confident on them (found two defects on them and managed to solve it - Carb needle and Venturi). Powerband is slightly different on the NS12 too compared with the RS12. If you have RS12 units, use it without any kind of problem and when the gave the ghost plan on change it for the new model.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by EVOLUTION
What type of setup do you perform to the engine before you run them?
On every engine I work on, before first time start it, I lap down piston so it is start biting the sleeve much higher then it is done by manufacturer. In this case we don't need to run in engine forever, we don't stress any internals in most critical initial start up period, we don't change sleeve geometry by using piston as lapping tool etc. So much benefits from doing P/S set up right, even will take while before I finish them.
But that Laping set up procedure is so delicate, if somabody will try to do it, be very carefull, you can kill it in less then a second.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by rod_b

I think the going price for an NS12 is $240-250. Is it worth that amount of money? Well in my opinion it is the fastest engine out right now. I think the Sirio has nearly the same amount of power, it just does not rev as high as the NS12. I am speaking of my personal motors which are all modified of course, and from what I saw and tested at the Nats this year. I still think that the Murnan Modified Sirio is the best motor for the money.
Old 08-19-2003, 04:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Grinder
I think the going price for an NS12 is $240-250. Is it worth that amount of money? Well in my opinion it is the fastest engine out right now. I think the Sirio has nearly the same amount of power, it just does not rev as high as the NS12. I am speaking of my personal motors which are all modified of course, and from what I saw and tested at the Nats this year. I still think that the Murnan Modified Sirio is the best motor for the money.
Just for curiosity, what is the price for that Sirio?
Old 08-19-2003, 04:30 PM
Tech Regular

Default how do you lap the P/s

Do you just use a up/down motion or is there some special technique. Also, what do you use for a lapping compound?

Thanks

Originally posted by Top Gun 777
On every engine I work on, before first time start it, I lap down piston so it is start biting the sleeve much higher then it is done by manufacturer. In this case we don't need to run in engine forever, we don't stress any internals in most critical initial start up period, we don't change sleeve geometry by using piston as lapping tool etc. So much benefits from doing P/S set up right, even will take while before I finish them.
But that Laping set up procedure is so delicate, if somabody will try to do it, be very carefull, you can kill it in less then a second.
Old 08-19-2003, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: how do you lap the P/s

Originally posted by JustRace
Do you just use a up/down motion or is there some special technique. Also, what do you use for a lapping compound?

Thanks
I use spining motion (one way) and the same time front and back motion. I use Clover lapping compaund 800-1000 grit ( depend on which piston). Novamega pistons 1000 and the rest is 800. But, don't forget lapping tool-it is not a lapping compaund, it is something else-needs to be made to perform this procedure.
One more time-be very carefull when you try to do it-very easy to screw up.
One more thing-never use diamond compaund-you will never wash it out from Aluminum Alloy.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:09 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: how do you lap the P/s

But, don't forget lapping tool-it is not a lapping compaund, it is something else-needs to be made to perform this procedure.

What kind of tool? Do you have a picture or description?
Old 08-19-2003, 05:20 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: how do you lap the P/s

Originally posted by JustRace
What kind of tool? Do you have a picture or description?
I will try to make picture of it. Made out of macarta (I don't know if it is right name for material).
Old 08-19-2003, 07:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Just for curiosity, what is the price for that Sirio?
about 140 when i got mine
Old 08-19-2003, 07:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Mod Sirio

The modified Sirio is $220.00
Old 08-20-2003, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Mod Sirio

Originally posted by Grinder
The modified Sirio is $220.00
Pretty fair price for that. Is this ROAR legal ABC version?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.