Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 11:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ProE
Done all of that. Sanded the pins down. The movement of the clutch bell from min. to max. is only 0.3 mm.
How much gap is between the clutch bell and the clutch shoe?
Old 04-23-2006, 05:17 AM
Tech Addict

i seem to have a problem, everytime my car goes into second gear, then i go to take a corner and slow down i have no drive at all. untill the engine rpm goes back to idel and car has stopped. then it is fine, if i keep the power on it , is fine wont loose drive,untill i back off ,iam confused cheers.
any help would be great, iam not sure were to start looking
Old 04-23-2006, 05:18 AM
Tech Addict

this is my car it does have the second pinion now but
Attached Thumbnails HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-img_0608.jpg  
Old 04-23-2006, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bummy
i seem to have a problem, everytime my car goes into second gear, then i go to take a corner and slow down i have no drive at all. untill the engine rpm goes back to idel and car has stopped. then it is fine, if i keep the power on it , is fine wont loose drive,untill i back off ,iam confused cheers.
any help would be great, iam not sure were to start looking
sounds like it might be the first gear hubb one way bearing might be worn and slipping or it might be dirty, try taking it out and giving it a really good clean and see if it fixes the problem
Old 04-23-2006, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Im guessing look at the clutch as this is the only area there is any sort of engagement.

1st gear should always be able to run to give some sort of power. So you say u give it gas and go into 2nd , let off and goto return power at speed and it will not grab?

That is very odd sounding. Car is looking nice though.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

Hay quick question for everyone. Im building my new 4 gear rear diff and was wondering how much oil do you put in. It shows in the instructions to drop in oil on one side and its just showing the gears a little greyed out.

http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/in...0/R40-P17o.jpg

Im also wondering will more diff oil cause more diff action (higher diff weight feel)? Im thinking on using a lower amount but am worried about not getting enough coverage. Im thinking a little splash should be good.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:58 PM
Tech Adept

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Ive wanted too but im not sure what is a softer spring to get. But it makes sense. I do have some mugen springs that come stock with the mugen kit. Ill give those a try today and will let you guys know.
i still have a gs vision pro car that came with a hard and soft spring. well after reading what you guys were saying i decided to dig it out and see if they fit. the soft spring is really soft as compared to the hpi and it fits perfectly. i installed it on my r40 with a tz. i have not driven it in a lot yet but i did start it on my porch and rev it. it seems that it will work.

i probally will not get a chance to really test it until this sunday coming.

soft

hard
Old 04-23-2006, 02:59 PM
Tech Elite

R40 Setups & Questions:

Front:

Width: 198MM
Tire: 35 Shore Twister Tire
Ride Height: 4mm
Camber: 1.5
Toe: 0 to -.5
Spring: Black HPI
Oil & Piston: Not exactly sure , lol.
Rebound: 5
Bump Stop: 0
Sway Bar setting: 0 degrees
Diff: Spool

Rear:

Width: 200mm
Tire: 35 shore twister tire
Ride Height: 4.5
Camber: 2
Toe: -3
Spring: Proceed Red Rear
Oil & Piston: again not sure , lol
Rebound: 6
Bump Stop: 0
Sway Bar: black
Diff: 4 Gear Diff (10,000 mugen diff oil)

Overall:

Body: Mazda 6 & Stratus 3.1
Motor: STS D3R (modified)
Pipe: Tsais
Fuel: Wildcat 20%
Glow Plug: RB 7
Clutch Setup: Close as possible , lol
Gearing: stock .8 1 & 7 pinion
Track Condition: Parking Lot track , bumpy , tight dusty , sugar water and hot surface.

Questions:

What do you adjust the most: Ride Height (probably not the best way)
What do you find is the key to your setup: Still getting it down.
What have you tweaked to get the most from your R40: Weight
What do you think is the weakest point on the R40: rear camber links
What part or parts have you broken the most: rear camber links and blew out my rear lower suspension mount (but that was due to having cg arms). Fixed that issue with aluminum rear suspension mount. Also looks beautiful.
What things give you the most trouble on the R40: Clutch , clutch and oh...clutch. But yeah had my dose of trouble with the steering centering. Never figured it out. But glad its gone.

--

Feel free to add anything extra to your responses.

Finally swapped to a spool this month , will see how it goes. I should have used a spool first day on my car due to the tight parking lot racing. Now I think Ill be somewhat competitive. I was either having motor troubles or clutch troubles. With those two fixed , plus the spool. I think im going to put some hurting on the competition next month.

Another thing I found today that my droop settings , which i think on the hpi sheets is referred to bump stop. I found those were off left to right. When I built the kit I just eyed it. But after checking on a droop gauge. I found this was off quite a bit. Then checked haras settings and saw he had front and rear set to zero. I did this and found the chassis become much stiffer towards bottoming out. I think this might have been my missing component from the suspension. Having off sides droop as well the car was pretty much able to go through lots of travel. Now its much tighter , we will see how it drives. Should be a totally different car now.

As well next month will be the first time I will be able to use my brakes on my R40. So this ought to be a nice run.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nitrothugg
i still have a gs vision pro car that came with a hard and soft spring. well after reading what you guys were saying i decided to dig it out and see if they fit. the soft spring is really soft as compared to the hpi and it fits perfectly. i installed it on my r40 with a tz. i have not driven it in a lot yet but i did start it on my porch and rev it. it seems that it will work.

soft

hard
Sounds awesome , keep us updated.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:06 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up Exotic option parts from A-I

those parts are great. i'm deciding on what i might want to get. that was the type of stuff i have been looking for but was not able to find.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Hay quick question for everyone. Im building my new 4 gear rear diff and was wondering how much oil do you put in. It shows in the instructions to drop in oil on one side and its just showing the gears a little greyed out.

http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/in...0/R40-P17o.jpg

Im also wondering will more diff oil cause more diff action (higher diff weight feel)? Im thinking on using a lower amount but am worried about not getting enough coverage. Im thinking a little splash should be good.

Fill the diff all the way up with oil. If it isn't full, the oil will move around in the diff and throw handling off a little. Fill it all the way up, and if there's excess, it will squeeze out when you bolt everything up.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:41 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nitrothugg

soft

hard
ok i couldnt wait so i went through a tank going up and down the street...there is a difference. i do feel a more positive engagement at low rpm with the softer spring. i would recommend it to people who are looking for another tuning option. i'm going to leave it on.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

I purchased it, well see how it goes. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:37 AM
Tech Regular

Does anyone know the part# and where to get the lightweight 2 speed 0.8 'shoes' from?
Old 04-24-2006, 04:37 AM
Tech Elite

hpiracing.com has them direct. I think you can just goto the r40 section and select option parts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.