HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 01:53 PM
Tech Rookie

i have my clutch assembly all on my engine, but when i put it in the car it seems to be 'off'. what i mean is that when the spur and clutch bell gears mesh properly, the screw holes on the engine mounts are not visible. if i do screw the engine down, the gear mesh is off and the 2nd spur rubs against the clutch bell. any ideas how i can sort this? thanks in advance
Old 07-23-2005, 04:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JAG Racing
Well - I just recevied the battery pack and it weighs 64 grams..... this all makes sense I guess. It's still a good deal at $29 - no big deal.

AMG - Did you "zero" your scale before measuring I think if you weigh yours again ( without drinking the 6-pack ) you see it weighs 60+ as well. Just ribbin ya...
Hmmmmmmmm bizarre. Makes me doubt my scales now!! I checked my notes and I have 42 grams written there clear as day. But I may have weighed this pack on my old scales...... Anyway after next weekend I will yank the pack out and recheck it.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

Yes - I true them to about 60mm - main benefit is "gearing" and second benefit is shorter sidewall is more firm - better cornering.

If your competition is not blowing you away out of the corners I would not bother then. Like I said the main benefit is gearing your engine to stay at peak HP range. The competition I run with the majority true their tires. You can also provide better "overdrive/underdrive" action by truing the front tires a little different diameters.
I second that. 58-60mm is about the zone!! But if you are fast at full size go for it.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AMGRacer
Hmmmmmmmm bizarre. Makes me doubt my scales now!! I checked my notes and I have 42 grams written there clear as day. But I may have weighed this pack on my old scales...... Anyway after next weekend I will yank the pack out and recheck it.

I think he got ya AMG..I just weighed the little trinity pack..and that weighs 60 grams...Time to put away the Foster's,mate..
Old 07-23-2005, 07:45 PM
Tech Elite

You guys are very funny. My R40 weighs in about 1825g and with comparable motors, runs just as fast as my Mugen MTX 3 that weighs about 1765g. Both are set up the same and I am using the stock gearing on both (switched by to the 1.0 pitch gears on the Mugen). I see many of you worrying more about lightening the car instead of just learning how to drive it. Mine drives in just as well as my Mugen but I worry more about working on the skills than shaving a couple of grams off the car. You can make the car as light as possible but that won't do you any good if you can't drive it.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I dont know how to comment on that one. I think you maybe jumping to your own conclusions on that one.

Just because we feel like having a little fun and seeing how far we can lighten this car up, doesnt mean we dont worry about driving. But whats to driving other than doing it. I mean yeah the basics in racing Im sure applies in all ways.

1. Look ahead of you , dont just concentrate on your car but setting up sometimes 1 2 to even 3 corners ahead of you. You have to get the right line through the entire course , not just one section.

2. Dont push yourself at the edge , find a good medium. Consistency is key.

3. In reality you only need to win. No need to set a new track record , unless your feeling the need for speed. You can sit back relax in 2nd if you want and at the last moment and waiting and observing you can make your final move....that is if the guy in 1st doesnt lay down the hammer (lol days of thunder).

But it kinda goes with the territory on the R40 as HPI and others offer tons of LW parts. Therefore its hard to ignore thoughts of finding other areas to lighten.

Its also the basics of almost everything in racing to a degree. Lighter is better, but then again a piece of paper probably wouldnt hold an engine up to well. LOL.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 07-23-2005 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fastharry
I think he got ya AMG..I just weighed the little trinity pack..and that weighs 60 grams...Time to put away the Foster's,mate..
Well I thought I had been wrong once before, turns out I was wrong about that............... LOL

Seems I am WAY off base, but I wrote this stuff down in a book as I was weighing it so it seems that other things might be wrong too!!! What does the full size packs weigh??
Old 07-23-2005, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JLock
You guys are very funny. My R40 weighs in about 1825g and with comparable motors, runs just as fast as my Mugen MTX 3 that weighs about 1765g. Both are set up the same and I am using the stock gearing on both (switched by to the 1.0 pitch gears on the Mugen). I see many of you worrying more about lightening the car instead of just learning how to drive it. Mine drives in just as well as my Mugen but I worry more about working on the skills than shaving a couple of grams off the car. You can make the car as light as possible but that won't do you any good if you can't drive it.
Depends on where you are at I guess. At the track I run at the top dogs best laps are spread by 0.5 seconds maximum and the top 5 usually finish within 4-10 seconds of each other in a heat. At this point you start hunting for advantages. If you are laying down the smack, or you crash every heat multiple times I am with you. If you complete 3 out of 4 heats a day without an off (which we do at our track we make mistakes but rarely leave the actual asphalt) then you need to try harder.

But there are much more important things than a light car in gas RC in my opinion. Getting your A) clutch right B) diff action right and C) shock damping and spring rates right will yield MUCH bigger results than any lightweight part.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:59 PM
Tech Regular

Well I thought I had been wrong once before, turns out I was wrong about that............... LOL

Seems I am WAY off base, but I wrote this stuff down in a book as I was weighing it so it seems that other things might be wrong too!!! What does the full size packs weigh??

Hey, what's 20 grams among friends, right? ....BTW, standard Rx pack weights in at +90 grams....

AMG - I just realized tonight that I purchased the wrong aluminum clutchbell ... anyone need an aluminum clutchbell for a 950 Serpent??
Old 07-23-2005, 09:03 PM
Tech Elite

Artificial-I,

The only reason I mention this is that JAG racing is a local guy that I have raced against many time. Until recently, I have out-qualified and out-raced him at many of the big track venues that we have raced. He has qualified me only twice at those same venues and it wasn't because of him trying to lighten his car. In fact, I out-qualified him at a local series race with my "pig" of a R40 to his "lightened" R40. It is just funny how many racers will go gray-haired, bald, or get ulsers worrying so much about lightening the car instead of working on their driving skills. For many that I see post on this thread, I don't see many posts about how it helped them improve on lap times, number of laps turned, going from the low mains to high mains, or going from the middle of the pack to winning on a regular basis. I am not meaning anything negative by my earlier post, just wanted to let some that are so concentrated on lightening the car to see that there is more to getting the car to perform than just lightening this or that. Just a side note, in Oct 2003, I qualified for the A-main at the HPI Worlds in Vegas with the same "heavy" R40 that I still race today. The only difference is that I am using a better motor than I did then, went to 50k/30k oils in the front/rear diff and sealed them, and change gear ratios to fit the track that I am running on (paid more attention to this). Oh, and I worked on improving my driving skills as much as I can.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:16 PM
Tech Elite

Depends on where you are at I guess. At the track I run at the top dogs best laps are spread by 0.5 seconds maximum and the top 5 usually finish within 4-10 seconds of each other in a heat. At this point you start hunting for advantages. If you are laying down the smack, or you crash every heat multiple times I am with you. If you complete 3 out of 4 heats a day without an off (which we do at our track we make mistakes but rarely leave the actual asphalt) then you need to try harder.

But there are much more important things than a light car in gas RC in my opinion. Getting your A) clutch right B) diff action right and C) shock damping and spring rates right will yield MUCH bigger results than any lightweight part.
Thank you AMGracer. I am not against a lighter car; I am just not fixated on it. Getting the right gearing, clutch hit, two speed shift, right height, tire combo, and proper setup for the track conditions should be just as important as shaving grams off your car. You can make your car ROAR minimum legal weight but it won't do you good if all the other factors aren't also considered.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:21 PM
Tech Regular

Artificial-I,

The only reason I mention this is that JAG racing is a local guy that I have raced against many time. Until recently, I have out-qualified and out-raced him at many of the big track venues that we have raced. He has qualified me only twice at those same venues and it wasn't because of him trying to lighten his car. In fact, I out-qualified him at a local series race with my "pig" of a R40 to his "lightened" R40. It is just funny how many racers will go gray-haired, bald, or get ulsers worrying so much about lightening the car instead of working on their driving skills. For many that I see post on this thread, I don't see many posts about how it helped them improve on lap times, number of laps turned, going from the low mains to high mains, or going from the middle of the pack to winning on a regular basis. I am not meaning anything negative by my earlier post, just wanted to let some that are so concentrated on lightening the car to see that there is more to getting the car to perform than just lightening this or that. Just a side note, in Oct 2003, I qualified for the A-main at the HPI Worlds in Vegas with the same "heavy" R40 that I still race today. The only difference is that I am using a better motor than I did then, went to 50k/30k oils in the front/rear diff and sealed them, and change gear ratios to fit the track that I am running on (paid more attention to this). Oh, and I worked on improving my driving skills as much as I can.
So that was a jab at me huh? That's OK.... I guess what you are saying is that you are a better driver than me and I should work on my driving skills. Thanks for the advise..

If all of this lightweight stuff yields me "no difference" in driving skill, I had fun and that is what a hobby is about...

Now that was some good "smack talk"

Last edited by JAG Racing; 07-23-2005 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:08 PM
Tech Adept

Yesterday i ran my car for a run... While through my 2nd tank i noticed that my car started to act a bit awkward. not to mention it wasnt kicking into 2nd gear. My car still ran fine and handling stayed basically the same it just turned differently thatn before. I run it till the fuel is gone and get ready for the 3rd tank.... I turned the chassi upside down and to my surprise scratches ALOT OF scratches and these were deeep ones too. The screw on the chassi even go the tops turned from black to silver. aww porr chassi. I figured out that while running a screw holding up one of the rear shocks came off. and i had only 3 shocks actually doing sumtin. Aside for the banged up chassi which has never been scratched this much even in longer runs. My rear tire (where the shock came loose) grinded hard against the hub carrier leaver a large deep circle in the rim of the wheel. I also did it to the othe rear wheel as well. Then i say uhoh more probs... i ve seemed to have torqued the two screws on the back of the chassi too much and bent the rear arm carriers. Thats or the missing shock caused it to bend outa shape. Then i open up the two speed to see what was wrong. The little plastic end where the spring pushes against has snapped so there goes my two speed shoes. Nothing else is wrong so far. Now i was thinking should i try the aluminum rear arm carriers
(or the things that hold the rear arm pins...) instead of the plastic ones? I wish my lhs was more supportive of the r40 i dont like driving a couple hours away for a measly 2 speed shoe....
"Oh we dont sell r40 parts cause its a racing breed..." quote the dude working there... they need a track
I was going to machine my own lw chassi and have sum fun with it. i was gonna make a few designs one made of cf one made of like a hybrid alum top half cf bottom half(who knows?) or i could try to find some higher quality aluminum than even the super chassi. I know one thing about the outcome....its not gonna be bright purple
Old 07-23-2005, 10:21 PM
Tech Elite

So that was a jab at me huh? That's OK.... I guess what you are saying is that you are a better driver than me and I should work on my driving skills. Thanks for the advise..

For me it's simple -- I just enjoy the hobby and I love to "tinker" with cars; real and toys. I also like to re-engineer things for the challange - kinda fun for me. If all of this lightweight stuff yields me "no difference" in driving skill, I had fun and that is what a hobby is about...

I am sure guys like Rapid Roy understands when we are racing with our kids, "winning the race" isnt the main goal anyway. I do know one thing (only one though), even with improved driving skills, at some point, you need horsepower to compete with the big boys... so I may as well start getting used to driving a bullet now instead of later...

Looking good JLock! Say, I'll be defending my T&T Fall Series Championship title in September... I hope you come show me how to drive "again" this year

Guys - One last request- when we lighten our cars, JLock would like a report on exactly how much faster it made us... just a one-page summary will suffice.

And finally - Let's all stop being so fixated on lightening our cars... for some reason this bothers some people.

Are we still having fun JLock
I owed you one from some comments you made on another board after our last race together. When I get this Murphy's Law guy off my back, I will pay you back some more the last of the SWCS races and possibly the JAG Racing Invitational, I mean T&T Fall Series as well. For everyone else, you don't owe me any type of report. As for you JAG, see you at a track very soon.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:38 PM
Tech Regular

I owed you one from some comments you made on another board after our last race together. When I get this Murphy's Law guy off my back, I will pay you back some more the last of the SWCS races and possibly the JAG Racing Invitational, I mean T&T Fall Series as well. For everyone else, you don't owe me any type of report. As for you JAG, see you at a track very soon.
Murphy will always be there....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.