Old 05-03-2005, 02:56 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: clutch settings

Originally posted by athrun
Can someone give me the proper amount of shims and were they
should go to make the clutch work properly.I know it was posted
before but i can't find it.

Thanks
The amount of shims depends on some factors. Instead you should just add/remove shims until you get about 0.5 - 0.8 mm of endplay in your clutch bell. These shims go over the thrust bearing sleeve just as shown in the manual ( right after the thrust bearing ).

Now there was an earlier post that has a slightly different process.

ALT Procedure - I believe this procedure started by adding a ~ 1 mm shim between the flywheel and the engine bearing first (this is in addition to the black washer). In addition, they also added another shim between the flywheel nut and the inner clutch bell bearing (large bearing) so that there was no clutch drag when the engine was at idle. Then proceed as the manual states. This ultimately reduces the number of shims required out on the thrust shaft. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong

On my car I follow the R40 instruction manual and I use about 3 silver and 1 copper shim typically - again worry about the tolerance and not the number of shims. Now if yours is greatly different from the above, you might have other issues.

Let us know how it goes!

Last edited by JAG Racing; 05-03-2005 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally posted by Jea3
You can always find me at Superiors races, but I will be going to Lakeland more often now. I loved the track, fast but smooth. I'm usually running my Prospec on Full Throttle, and now Lakeland.

Do you know Abner, Austin and Bobby, from Melbourne?
Yeah they came over and ran at B&B a few times
Old 05-03-2005, 06:13 PM
Tech Regular

Default R40 Bumper

Guys - Here is the bumper I am using and it is much better for a couple of reasons:

1) More dense foam makes it stronger
2) wider - so it protects the front wheels better
3) longer - so it fills in the air gap between the lexan body and the bumer so you don't get those "stress cracks" in the middle of the wheel opening.

It even looks good too!

Still working with final dimensional details with manufacturer.

Oops picture on next post - sorry.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:16 PM
Tech Regular

Default R40 Bumper pics

Here is a picture (R40 bumper)
Attached Thumbnails HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-r40_bumper0001.jpg  
Old 05-03-2005, 06:17 PM
Tech Regular

Default Bumper pic #2

... and another pic
Attached Thumbnails HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-r40_bumper0002.jpg  
Old 05-03-2005, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Nice. The only issue is that some bodies may not fit over that, very trick though.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:49 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by performula
Nice. The only issue is that some bodies may not fit over that, very trick though.

You'd be surprised how many bodies have similar dimensions. For bodies that still have an air gap, you simply stick a piece of adhesive foam to the body and it fills in the air gap. Or you could trim this one down.

This bumper fits both the Mazda 6 and Stratus nicely. It is a custom fit bumper so I will have several made up to fit a few different bodies. I typically run the Mazda 6, Nemisis, or Stratus so it works out well.

In the end, it sure beats knocking of steering bulkheads!

Last edited by JAG Racing; 05-03-2005 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by JAG Racing
This bumper fits both the Mazda 6 and Stratus nicely. It is a custom fit bumper so I will have several made up to fit a few different bodies. I typically run the Mazda 6, Nemisis, or Stratus so it works out well.
Say JAG- nice bumper... where can I get one? I usually race with the stratus body aero II also, but some times I race with the nissan 350z, but this body won't fit as I had to shave some foam to meet the bumper area. Still it looks good.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:58 PM
Tech Master

I know some of you run in parking lots and was wondering if you have problems with the pinions getting chewed up by pebbles?

I read somewhere that if the brake drags it will chew em up as well, I'm sure this isn't the case though..
Old 05-03-2005, 08:03 PM
Tech Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by onnetz
[B]I know some of you run in parking lots and was wondering if you have problems with the pinions getting chewed up by pebbles?

absolutely will tear them up, yep
Old 05-03-2005, 08:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by KLANDERMAN
Say JAG- nice bumper... where can I get one? I usually race with the stratus body aero II also, but some times I race with the nissan 350z, but this body won't fit as I had to shave some foam to meet the bumper area. Still it looks good.
I'll keep you posted KLANDERMAN... it might take me 3 weeks or so before they are available.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Set-up system

There are three brands of set-up systems out.

PMB
Hudy
Integy

Which do you recommend and why?
Old 05-03-2005, 08:09 PM
Tech Master

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JAG Racing
[B]
Originally posted by onnetz
I know some of you run in parking lots and was wondering if you have problems with the pinions getting chewed up by pebbles?

absolutely will tear them up, yep
looks like I need to either find a better parking lot or stock up on gears.....

I can't wait until I move close enough to somewhere that has racing....
Old 05-04-2005, 03:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JAG Racing
[B]
Originally posted by Jea3
I'll get some chassis shots of both cars. The RX-8 is a HPI Pro4, with all the aluminum parts anodized red. Great car, running a 8 turn motor. The R40 is using a KFactory chassis, HPI graphite shock towers, light weight 2spd, light weight shafts, Mugen front CVD's and steering knuckles (spend hours saturday night grinding them to fit) Mugen clutch parts, dual digital servo's, 9550 futaba mounted under the upper deck. Sirio modified by Mernan, running JAC Pro Fuel, 36% nitro. HPI tires, 37 shore all the way around.

Jea3 - Let's talk about the Mugen CVD and steering knuckles.. why ? Please show pics. - Thanks

Everyone was breaking the CVD's. After shipping my car over night from Vegas, I didn't have time to run it before the Challenge. So after quilifing on Saturday, I was tierd, not having much luck, so I was going to go home. A few people broke CVD's, so I took mine out of the car to give out, since the hobby shop ran out of them. Later that night, I decided I'd stay, but now I didn't have HPI CVD's, but I did have my Mugen with me.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Mugen CVD's wouldn't fit without the Mugen Knuckles. What a long night with the dremil...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.