Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cleaning your pipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 05:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by kevink2
Uh oh...help me, the evil Doctor Goldfish is prescribing a new shiney one..... cccan't.......... sssstttooooppp........... waaallet........ frommmm...... opening....muusstt stoppp iitt....mussstt sstooop....nooo noooooo!.
It's hard to escape the power of the goldfish, eh?
Old 07-29-2003, 05:46 PM
TAW
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally posted by B
WD-40 is a corrosive product

so be careful where you put it on your car

use the brass or gold polish along with wd-40
it may work
Wd-40 corrosive, this is news to me. The WD stands for Water displace.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:02 PM
KMW
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally posted by B
I'm not an expert, but it was my understanding that WD-40 was just the opposite... prevents corrosion. It's supposed to be safe for just about any surface except polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic. (?)
Old 07-29-2003, 06:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by TAW
Wd-40 corrosive, this is news to me. The WD stands for Water displace.
I have read in the forum long long ago when someone wanted to use WD-40 as the after-run oil. All of the responds were a NO NO! Corrosive might be one of those reasons, but don't take my words. I just can't remember vividly what was the exact reason not to.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:10 PM
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

hehe
how do you guys think WD-40 "cleans?"

all the polish are to "melt" away one very THIN piece off wutever u are polishing to give you the shiny surface underneath

WD-40, the thing will not "eat away" the car alive, jsut be careful to get rid of the thing if you are cleaning the engine with it, because if left with it uncleaned, it will slowly eat away the engine.

that is why i said be careful where you put it.

if i am wrong, someone correct me
Old 07-29-2003, 06:12 PM
KMW
Tech Regular

Originally posted by eddiethefish
hmmm... I use Armour-All on the plastic piece, though.
I used to use Armor All [wipes], but will never go back after trying WD-40. Armor All is great for a shine, but it's doesn't remove gunk. WD-40 cleans and shines; plus the fact that applying it makes it easier to remove gunk later on is just icing on the cake.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

Default Pipe Polishing

Originally posted by B

so be careful where you put it on your car
Ok if you say so!
Old 07-29-2003, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Default Pipe Cleaning

Polished Aluminum can be very difficult to keep the bright finish clean and shiny. I always avoided it on my Full Size Car(s) for this reason. Too much work to keep nice looking.

I've used Oven Cleaner on my Satin finish Headers before with good results, but it would probably dull a polished surface.

Also seems like the Polished Pipes are softer and get damaged easier (anyone else notice this?)
Old 07-29-2003, 06:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default FYI

http://www.wd40.com/Brands/wd40_product_info.html
Old 07-29-2003, 06:42 PM
KMW
Tech Regular

Originally posted by eddiethefish
I have read in the forum long long ago when someone wanted to use WD-40 as the after-run oil. All of the responds were a NO NO! Corrosive might be one of those reasons, but don't take my words. I just can't remember vividly what was the exact reason not to.
WD-40 is not a good enough lubricant to use as an after run oil by itself, from what I've read, but it's supposed to be great to spray into the motor with the backplate off to help prevent rust--especially during long periods of inactivity.

The only other negative I've read about it for use as an after run oil was that it was combustible...
Old 07-29-2003, 06:58 PM
TAW
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Re: FYI

Originally posted by EVOLUTION
http://www.wd40.com/Brands/wd40_product_info.html
Five major functions

CLEANS: WD-40 gets under dirt, grime and grease to clean. It also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of labels, tape, stickers, and excess bonding material.
DISPLACES MOISTURE: Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits.
PENETRATES: WD-40 loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts.
LUBRICATES: WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and hold firmly to all moving parts.
PROTECTS: WD-40 protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I bought a cheap bench grinder ($25 I think) at Costco. With a cotton wheel and some roughe (sp?) In a about a minute... I can have my pipe looking better than new... It really is kind of handy... I polish everything when I get in mood...
Old 07-29-2003, 07:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up WD.-40

I am an automobile painter with 15 years experience.Painters use this product to (SAFELY) remove tar from painted surfaces if it would not hurt your custom paint, how could it hurt your ity bity r/c motor?
Calling this product corosive is just plain wrong!
Old 07-29-2003, 07:57 PM
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i do not mean that it is very corrosive

but, if not corrosive at all, how does it clean?

Old 07-29-2003, 08:21 PM
Tech Addict

Kev, you are right, WD is not corrosive and is a very good rust inhibitor. FYI, one of our local NorCal racers who has been known for building some fast motors uses WD exclusively as after run. It is kind of an unorthodox methd but it makes sense. Once the fuel is run out, he actually runs the motor on the WD until all of the fuel is gone and flushed out of the motor. I have seen the inside of one of these older motors and they look great.

Jonathan, I have Steve's bench grinder/buffer and it never occurred to me to buff my pipe on it. I figured it would just get thrashed again the next race anyways

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.