How to improve driving technique?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to improve driving technique?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 11:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

i believe that a car that is properly set-up to the track is able to be fast and competitive with the top guys..
If the set-up is not right, its hard to keep with his pace...you are fighting with your car so much and you lose time..
so, when a setup car is right to the track, naturally you'll become faster and you would know what line to take according to the traffics..

just my 2 cts
Old 07-17-2003, 12:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

" Stay in the middle of the track and be consistant. Consistancy is the way your going to win races and pull fast lap times. Once you feel comfortable with the speed of the car, start taking a few apex's on some of the corners. "........... quote by Jimmy Jacobson ( Team Tamiya ). This was one of the reponses I got when I asked him a question on how to be a better driver.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:56 PM
Tech Elite

Could agree with that by practising to maintain lap with smooth driving - ant the middle and slowly to better line once i feel comfortable. The car of course have to setup properly and for me I do like to take corner sharp and abit slide.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

never raced at a track so I wouldn't know but you could rubber band some bardboard behind the throttle trigger to stop any attempt at going WOT. I used this during break in because I REALLY wanted to just let it RIP! it would keep you slow until you learned the track's charistics.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:21 PM
Tee
Tech Apprentice

Play pinball my nizzle. You start to see different ways to make it work, it totally applies. You see the ball interacts and spins and how you can change that. Then you start thinking about making your car lean or not lean and make or take traction and if you need more or less or whatever. You shouldn't get stressed in doing it, either. DNCADAO!
Old 08-14-2003, 09:44 PM
Tee
Tech Apprentice

Default Copy a fast guy with a player controller

Here's my idea for a data logger that you can make out of junk RC parts, my radio controlled radio (did someone do this already?). You get an Airtronics M8 and tear the guts out. Then you put a receiver in it and the fastest strongest digital servos you can find and hook them up to the wheel and trigger. So, now you have a radio that has a wheel and a throttle trigger that moves the same as the guy whose channel you have dialed into the Novak xxxtra receiver you should have used in the radio. You could hook the M8 antenna to the receiver after you cut the wire antenna off. And you can charge it up with the charge jack, and the batteries still go in the battery tray. You could also video tape the race and get two cyclones or atoms and run the Novak pitwizard software on a laptop that lets you see throttle positions, but you're using one for steering. I don't know if it's capable, you might have to get your own software. Or you could drive a Mini-Z.
Old 08-15-2003, 02:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Buy the RealRace G2 r/c simulator from Duratrax, this thing is awesome, I bought it two weeks ago and after one night of driving on it I have noticed a significant improvement in my driving, not only are my lap times in real life faster, but I am much more consistent aswell, and in many cases it's consistency that wins races, not fast lap times.

I highly reccomend you buy the RRG2 software and practice on that, you can even race against other people online .
Old 08-15-2003, 04:43 AM
Tech Regular

Yep, RRG2 has made me much more consistent. I used to hit the right lines and make some damn fast laps once in a while, but I wouldn't be consistent, and now I'm becoming much more consistent because of RRG2. It's fun to challenge yourself and try to get faster lap times or more laps in a faster time each time you run with it, and it definitely helps out in consistency. I just wish you could use your own real radio(like RealFlight G2)...I hate the feel of the RealRace one.
Old 08-15-2003, 04:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

SpeedyDave, would you like to race online on RRG2? I want to race someone online!
Old 09-07-2003, 09:24 PM
Tech Elite

Practising of course. Now I quit often practise to take corner sharp and fast. I concentrate on a corner at a time and try afew driving sytle and punching drill to get the best and faster cornering. Sometime I adjust and tune the car until I get what reaction of the car that I want but at the same time to not comprimising too much on other corner performance..... That quit tough job This that I consider are:-
1. the car reaction on corner - on power /off power ( Understeer or oversteer )
2. Better driving line before corner and after corner by take into consideration of where is the next corner is. Because if the next corner is too close I need to get correct line to get it effectively otherwise I will make very big lorry turn !
This what I practise style now. I still a beginner but in A Main final list.:

Last edited by esham; 09-07-2003 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default race

what hobby stores sell the rrg2
Old 09-07-2003, 10:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

This thread kinda caught my eye I don't know if this one has already been mentioned, but one thing that helped me when I first started out was actually watching full size racing. I'm a F1 fanatic, so most of the racing I watch are F1 races. I pay close attention to their driving line around the track, and also how they setup for a pass.

Another technique I found to be really helpful was switching back and forth between on-road and off-road. Different types of R/C cars will teach you different throttle and steering techniques, kinda like R/C cross training

Steve Wang
Old 09-07-2003, 11:54 PM
Tech Master

I am a begginer and watched the pros for some tips. The main difference between a good driver and a learner is what they olook at when racing!

When you are a beginner you focus on the car and dont know what it will do for a given throttle or steering change. You dont have the conidence to take your eys off it for 1/10th of a sec

A good driver will instinctively know what control movement he needs to get the car to act a certain way, hairpin corner or adjust for straight line on straight

He then can look ahead of the car and anticipate what movement he needs and therfore drive more acuratly around the track

The ability to know what control movements are needed without the need to think only comes with practice just like real driving

A learner driver of a real car will always be thinking on what he/sho should be doing with the controls to make the car work where an experianced driver will relax and listen to the radio without any loss of control of the car

My advice is for a beginner to NEVER change the setup of your car, including the tyres until you can confideently look ahead of the car and adjust the car controls to be in the right place on the track ahead of time.

Cheers
Old 09-08-2003, 12:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by ziggy12345
...My advice is for a beginner to NEVER change the setup of your car, including the tyres until you can confideently look ahead of the car and adjust the car controls to be in the right place on the track ahead of time.

Cheers

At the cost of driving tweaked car with the wrong inserts resulting in a horrible headache at the end of the day? No. I have to disagree. You've taken that piece of advice a bit too far. As you get better and better you must naturally change the setup of the car so that you can further improve. Most new guys like setups that have a bit more push. As you get faster, they usually try to eliminate that push. Also, track conditions change and so do suspension angles after impacts. But I do understand your argument and I would like to rephrase that statement to say: No when to draw the line when it comes to tuning. Even with the perfect setup, a junk driver still will never get fast. So just find a comfortable setup- maybe not the perfect one- and from then on, focus a lot of attention on your driving skills after. Especially the ability to see what else is going on.

I think a thread (not quite so old lol ) is on the 1st or 2nd page of the Electric On-Road forum, and ziggy, you'll see my advice is quite similar to yours.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Accord
SpeedyDave, would you like to race online on RRG2? I want to race someone online!
Onroad? I'm HORRIBLE on the onroad tracks on RRG2.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.