Wiki Posts
Search

General 1/8th Scale On-Road Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M7H
With a diff. during cornering, you will loose to much traction on the inner, unloaded tire. All the engine's power will be just lost here.
Yes, but aren't you losing traction when the tire is mostly off the ground, too? Same thing, really. The power isn't lost if it's not getting put to the ground anyway. It's obvious to me that these cars possess FAR too much rear bite, and a wonky design and setup just follow too much tire or rear weight. At least with a diff and the proper rear geometry for a race car, the rear tire might not be putting power down, but it would be still stuck to the pavement and distributing weight and traction.

I'm not saying a differential is a better mousetrap or anything of the sort, but it most certainly appears as though there is a LOT of room for technology and forward thinking to improve these cars, for sure.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Yes, but aren't you losing traction when the tire is mostly off the ground, too? Same thing, really. The power isn't lost if it's not getting put to the ground anyway. It's obvious to me that these cars possess FAR too much rear bite, and a wonky design and setup just follow too much tire or rear weight. At least with a diff and the proper rear geometry for a race car, the rear tire might not be putting power down, but it would be still stuck to the pavement and distributing weight and traction.

I'm not saying a differential is a better mousetrap or anything of the sort, but it most certainly appears as though there is a LOT of room for technology and forward thinking to improve these cars, for sure.

Dude, I don't know for sure. When I drive or more importantly watch the "Fast" guys drive, It's extremely difficult to imagine our cars to be that much faster as far as laptimes. Instead of all this "theory" about a rear diff, why don't you try it out yourself. The older cars (2wd) had rear diffs. So just get you hands on one and go to the track and mess around with it for a day. I'm sure you will find out pretty fast why we don't use rear diffs. Actually, Motonica makes a new 2WD that has a ball diff. I would say try and contact those engineers and find out why not use a diff in 4WD. The Motonica engineers come from a full sized car background and worked one on one with Ferrari. So I think they would be able to answer such a question. Also, Motonica is definately a company that thinks outside the box compaired to the other main 8th scales. So I wonder if they ever considered a diff? Most of this car is entirely different compaired to the others. These would be the guys to ask in my opinion since they actually just released their 2wd not that long ago. And boy does that car look like fun. But I wonder if that diff would fit in their 4wd regardless. It just might, and then you can try it out first hand and answer this question. Just a thought.