Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General 1/8th Scale On-Road Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 09:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by 8lackflagracing
I may need parts again I am a racer 13 years ontrack do you have a wed sight for this car
Best thing to do is look at the Motonica thread here on RCTech. But here is the Main website for the car http://www.motonica.com/english/index.htm. If you need personal assisitance let me know. I will help all I can. Also, if you need a car or parts, let me know that as well. I want all the 301 crew to drive the Motonica. Although getting Vincent to change might be difficult. Check it out dude, you will drool I promise. Garen just posted some Great Pics of the car on the Motonica thread.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Wow, great answer on the tire questions. Most helpful, for sure.

My only question with the rear camber issue is, why aren't the cars designed so that the rears don't camber and wear so unevenly? I don't think I have ever seen a real or R/C race car that was designed with so much rear camber, then forced more camber into it with coned tires. It seems like a terrible solution to a design flaw, yet all of the manufacturers do the same thing. I don't get it.

Fantastic thread.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:28 AM
Tech Adept

Darint - great reply. very informative.

As Darin said, each track is a bit different. The track me and SerpentD run on actually prefers bigger tires due to the track surface.

BlackFlag - All the major cars (Mugen, Kyosho, Serpent, Motonica) are all great cars. Each one will drive into the corners differently based on the suspension geometry. If you have been racing with the RRR, you may want to start with the Evolva (either 05, 07, or the M3 when it comes out) as the two cars will have a similar feeling when driving it and you'll be already be familiar with how the cars are built.

SerpentD - Please stop hyping up the Motonica . Just joking, I know how excited you are about the car. I'll see ya next year.

ApexSpeed - no car wears all the tires the same, not even Formula 1. You're seeing larger camber angles on these cars due to the amount of suspension travel and the g-forces (you won't find many vehicles that endure higher forces) acting on the car while cornering. The amount of cornering force these cars go through is incredible, so these geometry's (especially in the newer cars) work very well.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

DarinT - when cutting a set of tires for a proper F-R diameter stagger where do you measure the rear diameter once they are cambered?

Last edited by ESWLFSE; 11-25-2007 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

always measure the outside of the tire
Old 11-25-2007, 12:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by darkangel
Darint - great reply. very informative.

As Darin said, each track is a bit different. The track me and SerpentD run on actually prefers bigger tires due to the track surface.

BlackFlag - All the major cars (Mugen, Kyosho, Serpent, Motonica) are all great cars. Each one will drive into the corners differently based on the suspension geometry. If you have been racing with the RRR, you may want to start with the Evolva (either 05, 07, or the M3 when it comes out) as the two cars will have a similar feeling when driving it and you'll be already be familiar with how the cars are built.

SerpentD - Please stop hyping up the Motonica . Just joking, I know how excited you are about the car. I'll see ya next year.

ApexSpeed - no car wears all the tires the same, not even Formula 1. You're seeing larger camber angles on these cars due to the amount of suspension travel and the g-forces (you won't find many vehicles that endure higher forces) acting on the car while cornering. The amount of cornering force these cars go through is incredible, so these geometry's (especially in the newer cars) work very well.
Darkangel my friend!! Yeah dude. I'm stoked for next year. I hope Sal races with us, How is his wife...have you heard? Sorry for off subject guys. But MOTONICA ROCKS dude, it ROCKS!!!

As far as the camber issue, I see what Apexspeed is trying to say, but just like Darkangel said, the G-force is incredible with these cars. I ran accross a few "action" photos and it really shows the rear camber in action. let me see if I can find them again and post a few. This will show you first hand.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

K guys, here are the "rear camber action" shots. I did not take these photos. The dude that did I think his name is on the picture. So just to give him due credit, he took some excellent pics for sure. Also, look at the difference in tire diameter on each car going around the corner (looks like same corner). You can see the HUGE amounts of camber gain on these shots. Just imagine the forces on the other back tire that you can't see. The tires you can't see is where you need these larger camber angles.
Attached Thumbnails General 1/8th Scale On-Road Thread-img_0599.jpg   General 1/8th Scale On-Road Thread-img_0613.jpg   General 1/8th Scale On-Road Thread-img_0639.jpg   General 1/8th Scale On-Road Thread-img_0673.jpg  
Old 11-25-2007, 01:13 PM
Tech Regular

Great pics thanks Darren!

Next topic 2-speed shift points. Is this something that is adjusted to match powerband and gearing only or might it change specific to a track even with the same engine/gearing and why?
Old 11-25-2007, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Serpentd
K guys, here are the "rear camber action" shots. I did not take these photos. The dude that did I think his name is on the picture. So just to give him due credit, he took some excellent pics for sure. Also, look at the difference in tire diameter on each car going around the corner (looks like same corner). You can see the HUGE amounts of camber gain on these shots. Just imagine the forces on the other back tire that you can't see. The tires you can't see is where you need these larger camber angles.
Great photos and a legitimate explanation, however, all those photos show me is the gross camber gain in a corner of a severely unloaded inside tire. As I look at these pictures, and try to figure the geometry out, I'm thinking about F1 and LeMans cars with massive corner G-loads (and using ground effects). There are no cars that design THAT much rear camber and change into the suspension. That amount of camber gain in race cars is never something that can be considered advantageous. Granted, the whole of an 1/8th scale gas car is unlike anything else, but it doesn't make sense to me--no matter how many Gs these cars pull in the corners.

Now that I am looking at those photos, I'm wondering if the suspension was designed around a live rear axle that will never allow the inside tire to turn less than the outside tire. So the solution would be to lift a majority of the inside tire off of the ground in the corner with stupid camber gain. An odd solution to a problem to me, as I would think a car with the most contact patch on the ground through a corner would perform at a greater level than one scrubbing and lifting tires off the ground.

So a side question is, why the live rear axle without a differential? Wouldn't a car with a suspension design that allowed for more tire on the ground through the corner using at least a rear differential behave more consistently?

Just wondering out loud... nothing more than questions to a fairly foreign concept to me.

doug
Old 11-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well, I posted those photos just to show you the G-force. If I showed you pics of the other side of the car, all you will see is the tire being flat on the asphault using the entire contact patch of the tire. If I found a rear pic of a car going around a corner like this, then it would be easier to see. So yeah, the pics didn't entirely explaing camber since those are the tires that or Unloading, but just wanted to give you the sence of what Darkangel was talking about with the high G-forces. I don't think that a diff would hold up to the power these cars give. Plus honestly, these cars are stupid fast with this solid rear axel design. So, no issues there. I see the gears turning in you brain, and you are making some good points. I need to leave right now, so sorry for the fast incomplete post Apex and everyone. Back soon. Later.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:35 PM
Tech Adept

SerpentD - I'll send you a pm about Carol and Sal DiFazio

ApexSpeed - I understand your thoughts, I had them as well trying to figure out why certain things are what they are and still work. The scale difference and the incredible differences in forces (they are probably 2 to 3 times that of a F1 car in relation to each other) is where the suspension theories kinda break down. There are probably certain F1 tracks that requires 2+ degrees of camber on a F1 car to provide enough camber gain. Also remember F1 cars suspension only moves a few inches at most in relation to the car, where 1/8 cars suspension moves a great deal more in comparison.

SerpentD is probably right about the gears in a diff not being able to withstand the torque these engines produce. Also remember a rear diff = understeer (to a point) in these cars. 1/8 cars almost demand you use your throttle finger to steer the car as much as the front steering does. With a diff you will never get that unless you put some extra thick oil in (at which point you might as well have a solid in). You will have a lot of grip from the tires to overcome to get the car to turn.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
My only question with the rear camber issue is, why aren't the cars designed so that the rears don't camber and wear so unevenly? I don't think I have ever seen a real or R/C race car that was designed with so much rear camber, then forced more camber into it with coned tires.
Something to think about...the rear tires on 1/8th scale are REALLY wide. When you put a few degrees of camber in them, the outside of the tire no longer is touching the ground. By "coning" the tire, you allow the whole tire to contact the ground. I don't think any other full scale car runs with tires that are as wide as they are "scale" wise on 1/8th.

You don't "cone" the fronts and they are at least half the width if not smaller than the rears.

Doug
Old 11-25-2007, 06:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Great write-up Darin!

Thanks for taking time to write it up!

J
Old 11-25-2007, 07:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

One thing ive heard from a racer about coning the wheel is that the outside wheel will alway have a larger diameter than the inside wheel. when power is applied the same power is sent to both the rear wheels. So lets say the point of contact is a single point. As the car rolls more, the point of contact moves towards the larger diameter for the outside tire......towards the smaller diameter for the inside tire.

When power is applied, the larger diameter of the outside wheel "pushes" the car more than the smaller diameter of the inside wheel. This puts a torque on the outside of car making it turn in the corner a little better, in theory.

Sorry if I confused anyone
Old 11-25-2007, 07:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by flack
Something to think about...the rear tires on 1/8th scale are REALLY wide. When you put a few degrees of camber in them, the outside of the tire no longer is touching the ground. By "coning" the tire, you allow the whole tire to contact the ground. I don't think any other full scale car runs with tires that are as wide as they are "scale" wise on 1/8th.

You don't "cone" the fronts and they are at least half the width if not smaller than the rears.

Doug
Very good point here. You know, I have played around with power/weight and power /displacement numbers for our 1/8 cars compared to some of the state of the art 1:1 cars. In 1:1 cars we are driving a mid 70's Can Am chassis with almost John Force funny car HP in the engine bay. Kinda hard to compare to current F1 cars because none of them are making 3-4 thousand HP that I know of and if they did the chassis, tires ect would have to be alot different to maintain their current state of handling. The pics above are an excellent dipiction of why 1/8 tires cone to the inside. With a spool real end both tires are turning the same speed but the inside tire is scrubbing due to running a shorter arc........call this race truing your tires.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.